diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar EG4 6.5K Off-Grid Inverter | 6500EX-48

Good luck.
Hoping this is resolved quickly for you. Seeing how short it's been in operation, if I were Signature Solar, I'd be shipping you a new inverter with a prepaid label in the box.
They have a process to go through as any business. They have been great in the past. I have no doubt they will take care of me and yes I am praying to get it up quickly as it is an awesome set up. After reading that literature in the previous post my EMP Shield brand device would have took the brunt of any surge. But there was no storm or lightning to speak of and my grounding is hooked up properly.

Last edited:
They have a process to go through as any business. They have been great in the past. I have no doubt they will take care of me and yes I am praying to get it up quickly as it is an awesome set up. After reading that literature in the previous post my EMP Shield brand device would have took the brunt of any surge. But there was no storm or lightning to speak of and my grounding is hooked up properly.
Sorry to hear this as I know you were on the fence about all of this and now three weeks later it happens.
Good luck with SS and the warranty return. I really hope that they do not try to stick you with Fee's since this just died on it's own after less than a month of ownership.

Sorry to hear this as I know you were on the fence about all of this and now three weeks later it happens.
Good luck with SS and the warranty return. I really hope that they do not try to stick you with Fee's since this just died on it's own after less than a month of ownership.
Thank you I appreciate it. before getting these I did have the reservations I spoke with you about. At the price point I could not resist. I'm sure I will be up and going and no time on here shooting the screenshots of the app. I was addicted to looking at what was the best time of day and position of my solar system.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220612-193637.png
    Screenshot_20220612-193637.png
    167.3 KB · Views: 25
Regarding Will's "Blueprint" for his two EG4 6500's and battery bank setup. There are a couple of things missing there.

1. I don't see any ground/chassis bonding jumpers between the battery enclosures, the battery rack, or to the inverters from the battery bank/rack. Only +/- wires are routed as I don't see any green wires.

2. At his sub-panel, he has the ground wires going to the Neutral bar, but I don't see where the chassis of the sub-panel is bonded to ground. (This is where I messed up my own sub-panel.) Usually, there is a jumper and a lug on the main panel to bond the chassis to the neutral bar. On a sub-panel the ground wires do not go to the neutral bar, they are supposed to go to a grounding bar on the chassis. He may have (has) an NG bond at this panel because he removed the internal screws and he only runs on inverter power, but the chassis itself doesn't appear to be attached to it, from what I can see in the photos.

The first thing even the most basic inspector does is verify that all metal/conductive chassis' are properly bonded together and to the building grounding system.

Just FYI.
Todd

Just a quick update. Signature solar has put out a video for the common fixes for the EG4 6500EX-48 fault 61. In the video they mention that there was a batch of lifepower4 batteries that had the dip switches installed upside down. There was someone in the comments with a dual inverter that said sig solar told him to wait for a firmware update to resolve the fault 61. The comments discussing the fault in the video comments have been removed.

I will be receiving my "new" communications cable today, so i will report back.

Just thought I would update the thread that this may be a dip switch issue or need a firmware update to correct. I think its shady to remove comments of customers discussing the product in a youtube video's comments.

@RichardfromEG4
I run the Youtube and I never delete comments unless it's the scam/spam comments. Some people may delete their own comments.

I run the Youtube and I never delete comments unless it's the scam/spam comments. Some people may delete their own comments.

I'm not sure if it was responses to my comment or others. I guess it's a moot point since the video was taken down .

I also don't like the fact that it took two weeks for you guys to acknowledge that's there's issues that require a firmware fix to correct. Not a great start to my first signature solar interaction.

I'm not sure if it was responses to my comment or others. I guess it's a moot point since the video was taken down .

I also don't like the fact that it took two weeks for you guys to acknowledge that's there's issues that require a firmware fix to correct. Not a great start to my first signature solar interaction.
Video is being replaced with an updated version that addresses some things that were overlooked in the original and some new information from our engineering team. There isn't a required firmware fix to the error 61 - I don't know who told you that but that's incorrect. Regarding the 2 week timeframe - we addressed the issue in multiple threads as soon as they were brought up.

@RichardfromEG4

Support told me they are aware of the fault 61 issues and a new firmware is in the works to resolve this. My 2 week comment was the amount of time it took for sig solar to send a new comm cable even tho I fixed the original cable.

Who should I work with to get this resolved? New cable hasn't addressed the issue. I don't feel comfortable installing any of this until it works correctly on my test bench.

@RichardfromEG4

Support told me they are aware of the fault 61 issues and a new firmware is in the works to resolve this. My 2 week comment was the amount of time it took for sig solar to send a new comm cable even tho I fixed the original cable.

Who should I work with to get this resolved? New cable hasn't addressed the issue. I don't feel comfortable installing any of this until it works correctly on my test bench.
What's your set up?

What's your set up?
I still have not been able to get the bms_test tool to work. I followed the sig solar video and raised the issue with support

I have a 6500EX-48 with 1 Lifepower4 battery.
I have around 2,200 watts of solar panels in series.

I've been charging the battery from solar and then powering a 300 watt load from 4pm to 9pm.

Battery is set to EG4

@RichardfromEG4

(Videos were private, has been fixed.)

Here's a start up video ( Fault 61 ) and a BMS test video. Not sure where to go next.

BMS

Last edited:
People were sold on these because they had "No problem communicating with eg4 batteries". Judging from the many problem posts here, that statement carries little weight. I have two not unboxed yet and I hope I don't have to return them.

People were sold on these because they had "No problem communicating with eg4 batteries". Judging from the many problem posts here, that statement carries little weight. I have two not unboxed yet and I hope I don't have to return them.
yes sadly this was the main reason why I got it. Happens to be the only thing mine cant do. My luck I guess. i guess i will try my luck with support again.

Whelp, last night both inverters shut down after the Fault 61 showed up and wouldn't clear. SP1 was in EG4 mode, SP2 in USE mode, I have the corrected cable in the correct orientation. I've had intermittent 61 codes, but they've always cleared within a minute or so, setup has been running fine for the few weeks I've had it running. I changed battery to USE to get it going again. As of this morning, inverter will not reestablish communications with the battery.

Im now running on my back up growatts until my issues are resolved im using communication. My system is more efficient working together. Cycles battery bank perfect.
USE mode with settings recommended in quick start guide of my eg4 6.5 inverters seemed to drain battery bank and charge slower.
Fingers crossed that when I'm able to establish communications with eg4 6.5 inverters my system runs this smooth.
The more im running these growatt 5k inverters as back up the more im starting to like them compared to eg4 set up.

Whelp, last night both inverters shut down after the Fault 61 showed up and wouldn't clear. SP1 was in EG4 mode, SP2 in USE mode, I have the corrected cable in the correct orientation. I've had intermittent 61 codes, but they've always cleared within a minute or so, setup has been running fine for the few weeks I've had it running. I changed battery to USE to get it going again. As of this morning, inverter will not reestablish communications with the battery.
This is how my single inverter was working, would show fault 61 but has never turned the inverter off until a few days ago now it wont restablish.

Good luck.
Hoping this is resolved quickly for you. Seeing how short it's been in operation, if I were Signature Solar, I'd be shipping you a new inverter with a prepaid label in the box.
Signature solar reached out to me today and resolved my issues. I hope the 61 error code is resolved quickly as I know it is close to if not already figured out.
Thank you signature solar I appreciate it greatly

Back