diy solar

diy solar

Silfab Solar Elite

Will Prowse

Forum Owner
Staff member
From the data sheet you posted, the module efficiency is 1.8% better than the QCells I have on my roof ( and attached ) so the foot print is marginally smaller.

I don't like that it is a one-off cell count of 138 vs the standard of 144 for half cut cells. For something that is supposed to last the life time of the system I would never be selecting something proprietary or new like this, seems more like a science project and what happens when the manufacture moves on to something else as no other options of this physical size or cell count exists?

I paid ~25 cents a watt delivered for the 28 panels on my roof ( 2020 ) and savings a few millimeters of roof would make no difference using my arrays for comparison.

Attachments

• Hanwha QCells Q.Peak DUO L-G5 Specs.pdf
    858.3 KB · Views: 5
Is that backsheet a heater? If so, that could come in handy for us northerners.

If I were you since you might have more sway I would ask where their cells for the panels are coming from or even where their back sheet material is coming from. As was proven by the KB Solar thread they (KB Solar) are deceptively trying to hide the fact all the components are coming from China even though they go so far as claiming "Made in USA".

Last edited:
Further research shows they are GOING TO BE sourcing the cells/wafers from USA but currently are not and is why they can't legally say "Made in USA". It appears they currently get all their cells from a wafer production facility in the village of Årdal, Norway. I'm betting "Manufactured in USA" currently has no legal meaning but confuses customers into thinking that it means it is "Made in USA" as you assumed.

Back