diy solar

diy solar

Silicone grease on your MC-4s, any mileage?

For those in "less than connection friendly" environments.

Is there any mileage in adding a smear of silicone grease to the O-ring and/or cable glands?

NoAlox and yes, that nasty, sticky silicone grease.

RTV also works good just applied to the outside where the cables enter the glands.

Currently operating 200 feet off the ocean and have to seal everything up.

Also, utilize the panels themselves as shielding to keep the rain off the connectors. Zip tie or whatever up under the panels and off the roof.

For those in "less than connection friendly" environments.

Is there any mileage in adding a smear of silicone grease to the O-ring and/or cable glands?
This was discussed recently
A hostile environment certainly makes a grease attractive, but you need to know your rubber before you select your grease.

A Dialectic Grease would be a good choice

West Coast of UK close to sea so Silicone grease on all connections and O rings. First used it on a BSA B44 in 1980 on new harness, still have the bike and never had a connection issue and the grease is still there.

West Coast of UK close to sea so Silicone grease on all connections and O rings. First used it on a BSA B44 in 1980 on new harness, still have the bike and never had a connection issue and the grease is still there.

Lovely machine, a "proper" motorcycle!

I had a Matchless 250 single in the late 70s, performance was negligible but "a power stroke every telegraph pole" sure delighted the ladies :p

There’s a good chance that the O rings are silicone and perhaps even the cable seals. If that’s the case, silicone containing greases and spray lubricants could damage the silicone. So I’d use nothing. If the seals are rubber, then petroleum lubricants can cause rubber to swell and harden. So again if I don’t know, do no harm and use nothing.

On the outside, using RTV silicone sealant around any electrical unless it’s electrical grade should be avoided!
If it smells like vinegar, it’s the wrong thing around any electrical connection or components. So be careful if you want to seal the outside of where the wires enters. A quality MC-4 connector works well right out of the box as long as you don’t introduce any contamination and assemble correctly.

There’s a good chance that the O rings are silicone and perhaps even the cable seals. If that’s the case, silicone containing greases and spray lubricants could damage the silicone. So I’d use nothing. If the seals are rubber, then petroleum lubricants can cause rubber to swell and harden. So again if I don’t know, do no harm and use nothing.

On the outside, using RTV silicone sealant around any electrical unless it’s electrical grade should be avoided!
If it smells like vinegar, it’s the wrong thing around any electrical connection or components. So be careful if you want to seal the outside of where the wires enters. A quality MC-4 connector works well right out of the box as long as you don’t introduce any contamination and assemble correctly.

Electrical grade rtv to seal gland nuts? 😏

The panel side connectors with the connector molded to the wire work great but field-made ends can use a bit of extra help in certain environments.

Last edited:
Electrical grade rtv to seal gland nuts? 😏

The panel side connectors with the connector molded to the wire work great but field-made ends can use a bit of extra help in certain environments.
What ever you use, don’t use this stuff. It’s just weird to use. Strange texture and doesn’t apply smoothly. If someone finds something easy to use, please post. But not this junk;

IMG_1295.jpeg

I use dielectric grease on all my MC4s and have not had any issues to date. The only trick is not to apply too much non-compressible grease and then have to work it back out because the MC4 won't seat. :p

Back