diy solar

diy solar

Simple home made analog MPPT contoller

Several issues....

R15 is 10K not 10 ohms.
R4 should be 47K for your 57.5v proposed battery charging voltage.
C11, C12, and C13 are much larger than 1uF !!!
You can delete R1 and R9 and replace with a solid track.

When you lay out the board, be mindful that the PCB tracks in the buck converter part of the circuit, need to carry perhaps 20 amps or more.

That might be a one inch wide track with one ounce copper.
A half inch wide track with two ounce copper.
Or a quarter inch wide two ounce track, duplicated on BOTH sides of the board.

I've updated the schematic (edit corrections).

Should I add any pins for easy testing on the IC or any of the circuits?

When you lay out the board, be mindful that the PCB tracks in the buck converter part of the circuit, need to carry perhaps 20 amps or more.
So I'm onto my 2nd pcb, (seems better to lay out the tracks by hand, less error).

But I'm not sure where to end the "large tracks".
I have used <<<<>>> on the image below to denote large
tracks.
Do I need more large tracks, such as the Battery track? or more from the bucks or Earth?
Screenshot from 2024-01-08 20:07:50.png

Thanks

First you need to correct the circuit, there are still few mistakes, around the terminal blocks on the right hand side.

U10, batt+ and choke are o/k. But what is D2 ? It should not be there.
And why is batt+ connected to ground on the other side of D2.
And why are the positive sides of C12 and C13 both connected to the positive side of C11 ?

Thick tracks.
Solar + comes in on U3. There should be thick track between U3, the positive sides of C12 and C13, and the two mosfet drains.

There should be thick track between the two mosfet sources, and one side of the choke and one side of the diode.

There should be thick track between the choke, the positive side of C11 and battery +

There should be thick track linking Solar ground, battery ground, one side of the diode, and the negative sides of C11, C12, and C13.

And why is batt+ connected to ground on the other side of D2.
And why are the positive sides of C12 and C13 both connected to the positive side of C11 ?
Glad you picked that error up, I can't believe how I missed it, good thing my 1st Pcb was a miss.

"But what is D2 ?"
Won't I need a Blocking Diode? (To stop the battery discharging through the pv's at night).

"But what is D2 ?"
Won't I need a Blocking Diode? (To stop the battery discharging through the pv's at night).
D2 is in the battery circuit where it is now.
If you want to add a series diode into the solar circuit, it has to be connected to U3 not U10.
And I suggest you remove Vcc net from U3 as well. The Vcc net does not appear to be used for anything else, so better remove it from U3.
D2 can be fitted external to the board, which is what I did.

I can't believe how I missed all this the first check either.
I cannot post Gerbers here on the Forum, and that is all I have to show what goes where.
My camera and document scanner are both broken, so cannot even post a sketch of how I ran my thick tracks.

First lay out the 10 way terminal block, and the six way terminal block near the right hand edge of the board as I did. (also exactly as shown on the schematic).
Then place C11 at the top of the board with the +ve side pointing up.
Then place C12 and C13 side by side at the bottom of the board, with the +ve sides also pointing up.
The first picture shows the placement of these main components.

Run a thick horizontal track from BAT+ (pin 9) across to C11 + and also link (pin 9) to choke (pin 8)

Run a thick vertical track between the terminal blocks and the edge of the board, linking SOL+ (pin 10) The drain of the upper mosfet (pin 6) the drain of the lower mosfet (pin 2) of the ten way block, and (pin 4) of the six way block.
Run a thick horizontal track from (pin 4) of the six way block horizontally to the +ve sides of C12 and C13.

Run a thick vertical track to the left hand side of the terminal blocks between the source of the upper mosfet (pin5) to the source of the lower mosfet (pin1) of the ten way block. From there, pin (1) of the ten way block, drop a vertical track straight down to choke (pin 6) of the six way block, on down onto (pin 5) of the six way block.

Run thick ground tracks connecting all the capacitor negatives to pins 1 and 2 and 3 of the six way block.

You can first follow all this through from the schematic.

Duplicate all of those thick tracks on BOTH sides of the board, make them as wide as possible, and specify two ounce copper.

Once that is done, all the other tracks can be placed.

I very strongly recommend you follow my thick track layout, making any changes to the physical layout will complicate things hugely.

Attachments

• 2022-10-25_0001.jpg
    2022-10-25_0001.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Analog MPPT.jpg
    Analog MPPT.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Ok, thanks for your patience, I'll just post the 1st corrections below & work with your suggestions tomorrow.
I'll replace the older version to avoid anyone using it.
Schematic_MPPT ANALOGUE ~1KW Warpspeed 3_2024-01-09.png

Isso vem do tópico "Microconversor de código aberto", que sou muito culpado de sequestrar.

O que se segue é um projeto doméstico para construir um controlador mppt solar realmente simples e de baixo custo que não envolve nenhum software ou microcontrolador.
Tudo isso começou como um experimento e provou funcionar muito melhor do que eu esperava, ele apenas usa um chip controlador pwm simples e prontamente disponível para manter uma tensão fixa nos painéis solares e carregar uma bateria até um valor fixo tensão final de carga.

O perfil de carga é muito mais adequado para uma bateria de lítio do que para uma bateria de chumbo-ácido.

É um controlador de carga solar realmente básico, simples e sem frescuras, mas tem a vantagem de ser muito fácil de usar e seria muito simples de encontrar e reparar falhas. Ele provou funcionar tão bem como um perturbador comercial e observar o controlador de carga acionado por software. Se houver quaisquer diferenças no desempenho medido, elas serão absolutamente mínimas na prática.

A ideia é que o ciclo de trabalho pwm seja ajustado para aumentar à medida que a tensão solar aumenta. Isso ajusta continuamente a carga nos painéis solares para manter a tensão do painel na tensão máxima de energia. Ele funciona do amanhecer ao sol em um céu azul claro e rastreia a tensão máxima de energia definida por um potenciômetro.

A tensão da placa de identificação no painel lhe dirá onde definir a tensão ideal para fazer isso. Mas se você não sabe disso, é simples apenas ajustar a tensão para cima e para baixo enquanto observa a corrente de carga durante a carga em massa. Um máximo definido na corrente de carga será encontrado, mas é mais uma protuberância muito superficial do que um pico acentuado.

Embora seja verdade que a tensão solar ideal irá variar ligeiramente com a temperatura e a insolação, nunca estará muito longe da tensão indicada na placa de identificação.
Tudo o que um algoritmo de perturbação e observação faz é encontrar esse pico por meio de pesquisa. Se você sabe onde está o pico, basta definir um potenciômetro para essa tensão e deixá-lo lá. A queda de potência em ambos os lados da cúspide do aumento de potência é absolutamente mínima. Muito menos do que eu esperava.

O outro lado disso é que a tensão de saída do controlador solar pode ser definida para a tensão final necessária de carregamento da bateria. Ele carregará em massa até essa tensão e, em seguida, a corrente diminuirá de volta a zero da maneira usual esperada.

O controlador pwm possui dois amplificadores de erro adequados, o que o torna um pouco incomum entre a maioria dos outros chips controladores pwm. Qualquer amplificador de erro que exija a maior redução no ciclo de trabalho assume o controle e o cruzamento é muito suave.

Eu tenho isso funcionando há cerca de um mês ao lado de alguns perturbadores comerciais Make Sky Blue e controladores de observação, e parece ser tão bom em todas as condições.

Aqui está o esquema:

Isso vem do tópico "Microconversor de código aberto", que sou muito culpado de sequestrar.

O que se segue é um projeto doméstico para construir um controlador mppt solar realmente simples e de baixo custo que não envolve nenhum software ou microcontrolador.
Tudo isso começou como um experimento e provou funcionar muito melhor do que eu esperava, ele apenas usa um chip controlador pwm simples e prontamente disponível para manter uma tensão fixa nos painéis solares e carregar uma bateria até um valor fixo tensão final de carga.

O perfil de carga é muito mais adequado para uma bateria de lítio do que para uma bateria de chumbo-ácido.

É um controlador de carga solar realmente básico, simples e sem frescuras, mas tem a vantagem de ser muito fácil de usar e seria muito simples de encontrar e reparar falhas. Ele provou funcionar tão bem como um perturbador comercial e observar o controlador de carga acionado por software. Se houver quaisquer diferenças no desempenho medido, elas serão absolutamente mínimas na prática.

A ideia é que o ciclo de trabalho pwm seja ajustado para aumentar à medida que a tensão solar aumenta. Isso ajusta continuamente a carga nos painéis solares para manter a tensão do painel na tensão máxima de energia. Ele funciona do amanhecer ao sol em um céu azul claro e rastreia a tensão máxima de energia definida por um potenciômetro.

A tensão da placa de identificação no painel lhe dirá onde definir a tensão ideal para fazer isso. Mas se você não sabe disso, é simples apenas ajustar a tensão para cima e para baixo enquanto observa a corrente de carga durante a carga em massa. Um máximo definido na corrente de carga será encontrado, mas é mais uma protuberância muito superficial do que um pico acentuado.

Embora seja verdade que a tensão solar ideal irá variar ligeiramente com a temperatura e a insolação, nunca estará muito longe da tensão indicada na placa de identificação.
Tudo o que um algoritmo de perturbação e observação faz é encontrar esse pico por meio de pesquisa. Se você sabe onde está o pico, basta definir um potenciômetro para essa tensão e deixá-lo lá. A queda de potência em ambos os lados da cúspide do aumento de potência é absolutamente mínima. Muito menos do que eu esperava.

O outro lado disso é que a tensão de saída do controlador solar pode ser definida para a tensão final necessária de carregamento da bateria. Ele carregará em massa até essa tensão e, em seguida, a corrente diminuirá de volta a zero da maneira usual esperada.

O controlador pwm possui dois amplificadores de erro adequados, o que o torna um pouco incomum entre a maioria dos outros chips controladores pwm. Qualquer amplificador de erro que exija a maior redução no ciclo de trabalho assume o controle e o cruzamento é muito suave.

Eu tenho isso funcionando há cerca de um mês ao lado de alguns perturbadores comerciais Make Sky Blue e controladores de observação, e parece ser tão bom em todas as condições.

Aqui está o esquema:

The choke inductance depends on the operating frequency, solar voltage, and desired ripple current.
There is not a single value of inductance set in stone for this, but basically more inductance is always better.

Most suitable commercial chokes are those sold as EMI suppression chokes for high powered light dimmers.
These are typically 470uH for 120v dimmers and 1mH for 230 volt dimmers, with of course a sufficient current rating.

Sun Walker is using a 250uH 20 amp commercial light dimmer choke which should certainly work.
All these chokes use very heavy wire to reach the rated current without excessive heating, and winding one yourself is going to be pretty hard going. Machine wound chokes come out looking much neater and save a lot of work, especially if you need several.

First lay out the 10 way terminal block, and the six way terminal block near the right hand edge of the board as I did. (also exactly as shown on the schematic).
Then place C11 at the top of the board with the +ve side pointing up.
Then place C12 and C13 side by side at the bottom of the board, with the +ve sides also pointing up.
The first picture shows the placement of these main components.

Run a thick horizontal track from BAT+ (pin 9) across to C11 + and also link (pin 9) to choke (pin 8)

Run a thick vertical track between the terminal blocks and the edge of the board, linking SOL+ (pin 10) The drain of the upper mosfet (pin 6) the drain of the lower mosfet (pin 2) of the ten way block, and (pin 4) of the six way block.
Run a thick horizontal track from (pin 4) of the six way block horizontally to the +ve sides of C12 and C13.

Run a thick vertical track to the left hand side of the terminal blocks between the source of the upper mosfet (pin5) to the source of the lower mosfet (pin1) of the ten way block. From there, pin (1) of the ten way block, drop a vertical track straight down to choke (pin 6) of the six way block, on down onto (pin 5) of the six way block.

Run thick ground tracks connecting all the capacitor negatives to pins 1 and 2 and 3 of the six way block.

You can first follow all this through from the schematic.

Duplicate all of those thick tracks on BOTH sides of the board, make them as wide as possible, and specify two ounce copper.

Once that is done, all the other tracks can be placed.

I very strongly recommend you follow my thick track layout, making any changes to the physical layout will complicate things hugely.
jlc pcb.jpg
Hi Warpspeed
These came today, slowly getting there.
What are the Mosfet's spec?
& what is the diode spec?
thanks

I just used what I already had here at the time.
The particular mosfets happened to be FDA50N50, these are 500 volt 48 amp rated devices, but they have two advantages.

They are fairly low cost (for what they are) and they have a power dissipation rating of 625 watts which is quite high compared to most other things. They must have a massive slab of silicon inside.
There are much better and more efficient and more recent devices available, with a much lower Rdson, but not at the same low cost as the Chinese e-bay FDA50N50's. At least last time I looked into such things, which was quite a long time ago.
https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Fairchild PDFs/FDH,FDA50N50.pdf

Just one mosfet works fine at ten amps, two should be good for at least twenty amps. That will get you started.

I used high voltage fast recovery diode RHRG5060, which I also happened to have here at the time. Again nothing particularly wonderful about them, but they are reasonably fast, and quite rugged devices.
https://www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/rhrg5060-d.pdf

Last edited:
Back