diy solar

diy solar

Sizing home system

Copperboy

New here, and my very first post, thanks to moderators for accepting me.
I’m new at this, and very uneducated about it, but I will be installing (DIY) system for my home.
I have purchased 40 270w industrial grade used panels, past that I have little knowledge, but lots of desire.
My home is 25 years old, and located in Central Kentucky, built by me with 6” insulated exterior walls, 12” insulated ceilings, 1500 sq ft home, with hi efficiency appliances, and all led lighting. We are very conservative conscience , it has heat pump which rarely runs as I heat with outdoor wood boiler that also heats my domestic water. My monthly electric usage averages around 1500 kw.
My desire is the simplest grid tie system, I have no desire for expensive batteries and maintenance of battery banks. My utility company allows to bank time, so overproducing is not real profitable, but would rather overproduce than not.
So , my questions.
1) with above mentioned usage how many 270 w panels do I need ?
2) what size grid tie inverter ?
I understand it’s difficult to size with this limited info, but just needing ball park figures.
Special thanks to any and all responses

Welcome to the site! No worries about the lack of knowledge, if you’re anything like the most of us you will be neck deep in 3-4 months looking at your 40 panels wondering why you just ordered another pallet 4 weeks before Christmas ?

1500kwh/month is roughly 50k/day
With 5hrs of sun that puts one at a 10kw array. Looks like you are at about 10.8kw on panels currently
What a fortunate opportunity!

You mention desire for a grid tie system so hopefully others with vastly more experience chime in as that creates additional factors that I’ve not a clue on.
In regards to inverter output capacity, much of that would depend on your potential maximum load if wanting said inverter to handle the load and not revert to grid pass thru

If you built your own house I’m sure you’ll have a decent grasp on solar in no time. And you’re a leg up on many with your frugal energy use

It’s looking like the roof space I have will only allow for 27 of those panels. I’m just not willing to do more than that at this time, figuring to hold the rest for replacements, or maybe another smaller system for my shop, which is on another meter. Would that work ?

It’s looking like the roof space I have will only allow for 27 of those panels. I’m just not willing to do more than that at this time, figuring to hold the rest for replacements, or maybe another smaller system for my shop, which is on another meter. Would that work ?
Could definitely put the additional panels on/near the shop, having spares is always good too.
Nothing saying you have to use em all, 27-270w panels in perfect napkin math conditions at 5hrs is still 36kwh/day or 1000kwh/month which still offsets your usage by 66%

You can play around on https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/ with your location, array size, direction, tilt, etc and get a better idea of annual potential.
27 panels is a bit odd of a number. Depending on your panel specs and future inverter specs one may need to do something like 3 strings of 9 panels (this is where your panel specs like voltage comes into play along with inverter and/or charge controller specs on string capacity)

Back