diy solar

diy solar

small quiet generators

I see the Honda 1000 inverter generator for 1100$ but it doesn't have DC onboard. I would like a tiny quiet gen like that with 12/24 DC for charging batts.
High quality only....anyone have suggestion?Or is it better to just plug in an AC batt charger and that's good enough.....its for saving gas because the RV Onan 5500 uses too much gas to run it just for batt charging..
I have the Honda 2200i inverter , 2200 watts surge 1800 continuous .. .( about 1200.- 1400.00 last time I looked ) excellent machine .. If I remember right it has a 7 amp DC out put but it’s straight constant power , ya gotta watch it.. It’s not real smart. It just charges . You have to think for it.
I bought a 40 amp smart charger for Flooded and AGM batts. ya just plug it the 15 amp AC outlet and let the charger do it’s thing.. .it runs about 7 - 8 hours pulling the charger on a gallon of gas, or you modify it for propane and go dual fuel. It’s so quiet on eco o- mode it’s bizarre .. only 47 lbs.
that would be my first and best choice of all out there.
I HAVE NO VESTED MONETARY INTEREST IN HONDA IN ANY WAY. …HAAA
good luck,
Jim.

Probably a Progressive Dynamics 9260 rated 60 amps charging. This is a deck mount converter. Will charge at 14.4 volts into your low batteries.

https://www.bestconverter.com/PD-9260C-60-Amp-RV-ConverterCharger

Once installed, a Honda 2200 or any 2000w generator will drive this converter just fine using the main cord if you prefer not to run the Onan. A 1000 is too small.

Even if you expand battery to 400 Ah this converter will perform great.

PD only charges at 14.4 if the battery voltage is below 12v volts when 120V power is applied to the charger

OR,

If you activate it manually using the optional pendant.

I believe the 1000 will drive about 35 amps max into a 12v battery through an RV converter. Might get 40-45 out of a PF corrected charger.
I'm sure the power factor does make a difference, I just don't have the data. I do have a PFC 30 amp charger on my boat, I'll try the EU1000i on it sometime and report back. I need to try the EU2200i with the AC too.

Do not even think about using the Honda DC outputs for charging. They are too dirty and just not consistent.
Had a long time HAM as a neighbor years ago and he wanted to test our 1000i and 2000i units for an upcoming HAMFest.
It didn't take long with a scope to figure out it would be harder to clean up and use the DC, than to just plug a good charger into the AC outlet and be done with it.

Can you give us some more information? The best recommendations come from that.
What size battery, how often do you charge? It might be more practical to add a second LA battery or Lithium batteries.

I messed around with my Honda generators yesterday. I was pumping out my hot tub at the time so I plugged the 1/3hp submersible pump and the dorm fridge into the EU1000i and it loaded it very little, not even to high idle. Then I took both the EU1000i and the EU2200i to my boat. I discharged the batteries for several hours and plugged in the 1000, I was surprised how much the 30 amp charger loaded it. It is a power factor corrected charger. I'm not sure it would run a 60 amp charger like I thought.

Then I tried the 2200 with the 16kBTU air conditioner. Would not start it. It would start the old 12k but not the 16k that I replaced it with.

Hope someone finds this useful or interesting.

Last edited:
I messed around with my Honda generators yesterday. I was pumping out my hot tub at the time so I plugged the 1/3hp submersible pump and the dorm fridge into the EU1000i and it loaded it very little, not even to high idle. Then I took both the EU1000i and the EU2200i to my boat. I discharged the batteries for several hours and plugged in the 1000, I was surprised how much the 30 amp charger loaded it. It is a power factor corrected charger. I'm not sure it would run a 60 amp charger like I thought.

Then I tried the 2200 with the 16kBTU air conditioner. Would not start it. It would start the old 12k but not the 16k that I replaced it with.

Hope someone finds this useful or interesting.
Yes, you will need a soft start device to run the 16K with the 2200i

If you can find an Alphagen DCX3000 they are quiet and produce 36 or 48 volts
Depending on switch settings.

In 48vdc mode I get around 52VDC.

They are telecom generator and they got dumped on the market 10 years ago or so ?

I picked up 2 for $600 each then.

I just plug them directly up to my batteries since it can’t generate any more than 52 volts I don’t have to worry about a Charge controller.
BMS limit voltage per battery.

Works well, uses little fuel and they used to come with a 6 gallon external tank.
Since your top voltage is so low it isn't a concern, but the bms should never be used as a charge controller.
The bms isn't robust enough for daily limiting. Always have another device between battery and charging energy source to properly limit charge below the bms max settings.

Since your top voltage is so low it isn't a concern, but the bms should never be used as a charge controller.
The bms isn't robust enough for daily limiting. Always have another device between battery and charging energy source to properly limit charge below the bms max settings.
I totally agree but since it can never get above 52VDC I use it on my banks first if I’m running low rather than crank up the big 25KW one..

No chance of over charging.

FYI. You can’t buy the Honda 2200 or any of their generators in California anymore. Options will be real scarce as generators have to be zero emission next year. Can’t buy gas generators at all in California after 2028.

Yay California.

Back