diy solar

diy solar

Smart programmable load output device?

dr.diesel

I can't be the only one in need of this product, but it appears it doesn't exist. I have a large DC system (48v) that consists of HVAC, networking, etc, lots of devices. I'm looking for a programming load output device that allows me to drop off various devices as the battery voltage drops. Basically a multi-gang programmable switch that i can set a low voltage drop out/re-energize point, with current monitoring stats as a bonus.

Anything like this available?

I think you need to build something yourself.

Install a Victron or similar shunt, use VEdirect or RS485 to interface with a rPI or Arduino and a relay board. The shunt provides SOC, current and voltages. You can make anything you want, eg if SOC >90% enable water heater. If 80% disable water heater, if <60% disable HVAC also, if <20 disable everything except lights and router and text message 'battery low' or whatever you want.

Thanks.

It appears their idea for that is mostly just to protect a battery and not dozens of branch circuits, each with different set points. If they made a 48v@~10 amps it would be much more convenient!

take a look at sonoffs,

Thanks, and wow their website is horrible! It looks like all of their stuff is 120v, don't see any DC switching products. Though their SONOFF Smart Stackable Power Meter product might be a good choice on the 120v side for load control.

Thanks, and wow their website is horrible! It looks like all of their stuff is 120v, don't see any DC switching products. Though their SONOFF Smart Stackable Power Meter product might be a good choice on the 120v side for load control.
actually it is both us 120v and rest of the world 230v.
i wouldnt direct run a huge load throught a sonoff ( not even the 16a version, i would put more than 11 or 12a through), but they are extremely cheap wifi and mqtt stearable, and can be used to switch a more heavy duty switch or contactor

While I have no experience doing this, it might be something you could achieve with a Raspberry Pi (RPi) and a set of relays. I would think there would be a way for the RPi to monitor the battery voltage and toggle the various relays based on programmed cut-off and reset voltages.

Making it SOC-based instead of voltage-based would be even better. You could setup a RPi with Victron's Venus OS and connect a Victron SmartShunt. Then some custom program running on the RPi could poll the battery SOC being provided and then the program could control some relays as needed.

a lot of products won't work when the internet is down
I made sure my trailer electrical system works without any phone apps or the Internet. My electrical system can make use of both for certain conveniences but I can still use it without either.

Anyone setting up a system at home that will no longer function if a company goes out of business or a server fails "on the cloud" is setting themselves up for some future nightmares. And then there's the whole "big brother" aspect to such systems.

Back