diy solar

diy solar

Smart shunts potentially dangerous!!!

Urge38

Putting this out there for you guys to make up yr own mind

But I recently purchased a Renogy 500a smart shunt and was pre looking at installing it.

I was shocked to see such close proximity of the positive wire !!!!

There is only a small terminal connector holding in this positive cable and the proximity to the negative is scary

I will definitely be putting a cable retainer AND silicone at the terminal

I KNOW the shunt needs this positive feed to work but I feel there has been little consideration to keeping it apart from the negative if there was a accident

The issue I see (if the following image is correct as to what you receive) is that there is no fuse in the +ve supply lead. :eek:⚡

My Victron Smart Shunt has a little (500mA IIRC) in-line fuse immediately after the +ve battery lug.

Easily rectified with a different supply lead, but poor design, IMHO. Guess you get what you pay for these days :(

1702547843146.png

Not quite what I mean .. look at the attachment, I have added two blue arrows, the design off a shunt means the close proximity off these two wires, the red wire needs to be ABSOLUTELY secured so as to never brake free. The terminal that holds it is not enough for my liking

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231214-110536_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231214-110536_Chrome.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 50
Thats why there is (/should) be a fuse close to the battery.

Victron Smartshunts come with 2 fused leads for these purposes.

There is no danger, first a short shouldn't occur when properly designed and installed (wire shouldn't come loose by accident) and even if it did, wire/fuses should be sized accordingly.

Off course there are brands which don't take safety or certifications as a primary concern (eg Renogy) since they focus primary on a cheap price and sales.

Sure, I saw that. But if it breaks free, it's no big deal if there is a fuse - the shunt stops working. Without a fuse there is a fire hazard.

Edited to add - @DJSmiley beat me to it.

No fuse on a Renogy or mention off it in the manual

My post is intended to bring attention to a possibility

What's more, on the Renogy the small board that is screwed to the shunt has two exposed screws, both potential hazards

Also these screws are exposed on the Renogy, not clever

Attachments

• 20231214_113756.jpg
    20231214_113756.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 48
I am sure I am not the only person to purchase a Renogy smart shunt.

There will be lots of people who may not have enough knowledge or experience to see a potential problem

Was just trying to put it out there as the manual does not help the user protect there equipment

The thread title "Smart Shunt " sucked me in.
Click bait?

But since I'm here. I see no Hazzard, as long as it's wired properly. (With a fuse)
But as stated above, the wire is too small to start a fire. Because the available short current will vaporize the wire. (Self fusing)

Just don't mount it on top of an open gas can.

The thread title "Smart Shunt " sucked me in.
Click bait?

But since I'm here. I see no Hazzard, as long as it's wired properly. (With a fuse)
But as stated above, the wire is too small to start a fire. Because the available short current will vaporize the wire. (Self fusing)

Just don't mount it on top of an open gas can.
What if the gas can is empty?

What if the gas can is empty?
But you won't know if it's empty until you open it or ignite it with the fuse "wire"... I think that means you risk being simultaneously dead and alive. ??‍⬛?

Yeah but what if it’s empty but still filled with vapors and sealed and you open it the exact same time as the wire vaporizes?

Think of the children! Ban all smart shunts without fusing.
It's wires. Think of all the hazards they can present.

Back