diy solar

diy solar

So it worked. Power saving measures. Austerity mode.

venquessa

When they doubled the price of electric here last year, I went off on a campaign to use as little as possible.

I changed the cooker hob to offgrid gas bottles. I bought a low power PC for the office. I monitored and automated the switching off of media centres and other standby power hotspots. Then I spent £3000 on solar gear.

The later (solar) is not included in this result though. This result was just power saving over the past year.

My normal quarterly bill is around £320 a quarter.

I just got off the phone with my retailer as they hadn't got an "actual reading" from my meter in nearly a year.

I am £44 in credit. But wait. That is 'after' my "adjustment" paid the entire quarter of electricity!

So I dropped my electric usage by around 30%!

Now I also spent £3000 on offsetting the office usage to solar. So I expect to repeat that 30% this year again! That would net drop my electricity usage to 40% what it was in 2022.

As a side note... my bank wrote to me. They said, "Hey, we did really well last year, here's £100 from us, just cause we are nice.". Can't argue with that, it's like the £100 from the bank card in Monopoly! So if anyone else feels they want to give me money, today seems to be the day! Form an orderly queue!

Back