diy solar

diy solar

SOC Settings, Relationship Between Solis, ESP32 Inverter and JKBMS App settings

chaosnature

I had already started a discussion on another thread but realized it was not the right place to place the discussion so have opened up this thread to complete the discussion

@MrPablo

this is the origianl discussion and what survived the deleted conversation

when i toggle off the Bluetooth - as soon as the ESP loses connection with the BMS it starts discharging immediately, so to me, it has something to do with the ESP side of things.

Also , there is a leak to the Grid of about 200 watt on discharging....

discharge current 20 A set

could any of the settings here help to resolve this?

If so what should be set in my case?

Edit:
Just after i posted the above i toggled on the bluetooth
it stopped discharging ...then a few seconds later starts to charge even though i dont have a charge schedule for this time

it is 19:69 as i type this

i have changed it back to 00:00
this was how it was and i set a discharge bcos it wasnt discharging this evening

ah Penny has dropped for me - i think i know what's going on here

the charging right now is caused by the ForceCharge - so maybe if i set it to 5 - if it will take it then it should not be forcing charge.

But then it means the maths on this is not correct....all of these activities should be taking place near 0% not at 50 %

Right now it has stopped force charging and we are at 18 %

Edit

When i checked all this it was all happening at 5x% - but it seems its actually 18% now, must be a refresh thing between the ESP and the JKBMS

So its actually doing what its suppose to do, but i think it needs a little tweaking

3.5 cell voltage should not be 18 %

The error has to be in the JK Settings

Right now it has stopped charging

My 0% SOC is correct - so again its the ESP not reading my SOC right - 44.8 is when it should read 0%

If 0% is 44.8 what should 18% be ?

Not 49.7x - i think not

Edit

i am thinking its the Capacity that needs adjusting now....

But i still have a little issue
if i change to JK by disconnecting the Bluetooth, the discharge is constant

but back on the ESP the discharge is intermedient - and mostly not discharging at all at this

1708896019424.png

Thanks for tagging me in @chaosnature!

Could you please share a screenshot showing all the BMS settings?

Also, can you share a graph showing the maximum and minimum cell voltages, SOC, total battery voltage and current for the last 24 hours as shown in Home Assistant?

Thanks for tagging me in @chaosnature!

Could you please share a screenshot showing all the BMS settings?

Also, can you share a graph showing the maximum and minimum cell voltages, SOC, total battery voltage and current for the last 24 hours as shown in Home Assistant?
Here is the current BMS settings

1708896080060.png

1708896108875.png

1708896156356.png

As OverDischarge SOC is set to 15%, your inverter will stop using battery power as soon as it drops to 15%.

That's not something that is handled by the BMS or CANbus adaptor. Additionally, you won't be able to discharge down to 0% either, as the inverter will refuse to do that due to the ForceCharge SOC setting.

I would suggest leaving:

ForceCharge SOC = 5%
OverDischarge SOC = 15%

Yes, you will 'only' get 85% of the battery capacity, but that's an inverter limitation based on the settings page you've shown.

As for the JK BMS settings, I'll check exactly what these should be in the morning, UK time.

Finally, unless you can provide graphs showing 24 hours of data for the below sensors in Home Assistant, it'll be hard to troubleshoot behaviour fully.

- Maximum cell voltage
- Minimum cell voltage
- SOC
- Total battery voltage

As OverDischarge SOC is set to 15%, your inverter will stop using battery power as soon as it drops to 15%.

That's not something that is handled by the BMS or CANbus adaptor. Additionally, you won't be able to discharge down to 0% either, as the inverter will refuse to do that due to the ForceCharge SOC setting.

I would suggest leaving:

ForceCharge SOC = 5%
OverDischarge SOC = 15%

Yes, you will 'only' get 85% of the battery capacity, but that's an inverter limitation based on the settings page you've shown.

As for the JK BMS settings, I'll check exactly what these should be in the morning, UK time.

Finally, unless you can provide graphs showing 24 hours of data for the below sensors in Home Assistant, it'll be hard to troubleshoot behaviour fully.

- Maximum cell voltage
- Minimum cell voltage
- SOC
- Total battery voltage
Thank you....

Try this first though, edit the YAML for the esphome CANbus adaptor, changing the 'min_discharge_v' to 43.4.

As you're using a 14s li-ion battery, your working voltage range is wider than the usual LifePo4 battery.
The default value of 48v will be too high, so test this change and I'll update the YAML on GitHub if successful.

Try this first though, edit the YAML for the esphome CANbus adaptor, changing the 'min_discharge_v' to 43.4.

As you're using a 14s li-ion battery, your working voltage range is wider than the usual LifePo4 battery.
The default value of 48v will be too high, so test this change and I'll update the YAML on GitHub if successful.
Doing that now...yes you are right..

Doing that now...yes you are right..
and will adjust my JK protection settings after as it will not allow it if I don't.
43.4 means 3.1 v per cells , my SOc has to be below this in JK settings

Edit:

its so cool that one can edit the YAML config via wireless, i don't have to keep removing and flashing the chip :)

As for updating the Github , it will be the x.16 version as the x.17 version never worked for me.

i will try the settings on another chip config and see if this little adjustment will make the new version work for me.

it stopped at 15%
thats fine , that would be the Solic Protection kicking in

1708903829685.png

But i will adjust my JK Soc a little..

What do Rebulk, float_v, and Absorption Mean?

Rebulk voltage, voltage less than FLOAT at which BMS requests rebulk. (53.2V = 3.8V/Cell for 14S battery)
and if i set bulk_v: to "58.4" what should i set the above values to ?

Back