diy solar

diy solar

Sodium battery VS Lifepo4 battery

Rain@

I recently saw some sodium battery videos on Youtube. I recommended these videos to my friend, and then he said he wanted to DIY a 12V sodium battery pack because he had seen too many videos of lifepo4 catching fire on the Internet!:ROFLMAO:
Regarding sodium battery packs and lifepo4 battery packs, such as 12V 200Ah, which one will you choose?

LFP is generally quite safe with regard to being a fire hazard but there are always a few abnormal cases. At this point I would probably choose Li over Na because they have a such a flat voltage curve, prices of LFP are coming down and I'm already familiar with LFP chemistry as far as behavior and longevity.

I recently saw some sodium battery videos on Youtube. I recommended these videos to my friend, and then he said he wanted to DIY a 12V sodium battery pack because he had seen too many videos of lifepo4 catching fire on the Internet!:ROFLMAO:
Regarding sodium battery packs and lifepo4 battery packs, such as 12V 200Ah, which one will you choose?
LiFePO's catching on fire?!? 🤣🔥🤣🔥🤣

A) The batteries that have a history of catching fire & burning uncontrollably is Lithium Ion...NOT LiFePO's...totally different animal & chemistry

B) Not to say it can't or hasn't happen with LiFePO's but it's a pretty rare occurrence considering how many have been sold. I personally have not heard of any. Again Lithium Ion...yes.

C) I can't speak for all LiFePO's but the 2 different LiFePO's that I own, all have built in factory automatic fire suppression systems just in case for the rare occurrence that this could happen.

D) If they were to catch on fire, LiFePO's do NOT behave or burn down uncontrollably the same way that Li-Ion do. Again 2 different animals.

E) If your that concerned, & I'm not, then build a solar block house outside of your house for batteries & inverters... which I am not with the new house I'm currently building off-grid.

F) Na MAY be better... but really aren't a thing on the market yet for my applications. They maybe eventually but for now, I will stick with what is proven & the biggest bang for the buck. For me this is LiFePO's. Specifically LifePower4's & PowerPros from Signature Solar/EG4.

Back