diy solar

diy solar

Sol Ark 15k Additional Battery Bank

bolen1975

I have a Sol Ark 15k with approx. 15k solar, and 30kwh EG4 battery bank that was commissioned about 18 months ago (and everything is working great). I've purchased a second 30kwh EG4 battery bank and am prepping to bring it online. At the risk of getting flamed for a dumb question - Do i need to bring the whole system down to connect the new bank, or can i simply shut down the battery breakers, connect the second bank positive and negative and flip the breakers back on (battery breakers first, then main inverter breakers)? My plan is to take both offline, fully charge / balance both banks before bringing online.

Make sure the Sol-Ark is not charging or discharging the battery.
Turn off the Battery Breaker at the Sol-Ark.
Turn off the current battery bank.
Connect 2nd battery bank.

No need to bring down the entire sol-ark. You may get a warning from the Sol-Aak about the battery bank, which you can ignore.

Good question as I will very soon be in the same situation.

How close do the SOC from the old rack and the new rack need to be?

Would it be best to bring both of them up to full charge before connecting both of them?

Make sure the Sol-Ark is not charging or discharging the battery.
Turn off the Battery Breaker at the Sol-Ark.
Turn off the current battery bank.
Connect 2nd battery bank.

No need to bring down the entire sol-ark. You may get a warning from the Sol-Aak about the battery bank, which you can ignore.
Thank you! 1 follow up question. In order for the Sol-Ark to not be in a charge or discharge state, do I need to modify settings to turn off the charge/discharge from battery (otherwise, it's almost always in some state of charge or discharge).

Just turn off time of use if you're grid tied. (And make sure you're not charging)

I usually do my battery alterations shortly after they've finished charging

Back