diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark 15K randomly disconnecting itself from the grid

pat72

Hello,
Does anyone on this forum have the same issue as me with the Sol-Ark 15K disconnecting itself from the grid at random?
It's usually for a very short time (30 sec) but creates many other issues.

Thanks

You paid a premium for the Sol-Ark and their much touted USA support. I would give them a ring. Report back about how it goes!! Not meant to be a dig or anything, just wondering how they do...

Agree that you should call Sol-Ark but first you might want to check your upper and lower voltage settings for Grid power tolerance.
I had that same problem and it was because I had set the Lowest allowable "Grid volt Low" to 112V per phase and this kept on tripping the Inverter onto battery at night for a few seconds during peak neighborhood usage. Also the Grid Frequency is something else that can be set to tight and cause issues.

They will likely say your grid source is unstable with glitches. Also check how solid your grid neutral connection is by monitoring L1-N to L2-N voltage variance.

Be aware of any sudden high surge current loads like a central air conditioner kicking on, even if it is not passing through inverter, causing a sudden slump on your grid input voltage to SolArk. Your neighbor if on same pole transformer could also cause sudden high load grid glitches.

It is likely the grid or the parts in-between your inverter and the grid are the issue and your inverter is doing what it is supposed to do.

Time to start data logging and see what is actually happening

Agree that you should call Sol-Ark but first you might want to check your upper and lower voltage settings for Grid power tolerance.
I had that same problem and it was because I had set the Lowest allowable "Grid volt Low" to 112V per phase and this kept on tripping the Inverter onto battery at night for a few seconds during peak neighborhood usage. Also the Grid Frequency is something else that can be set to tight and cause issues.

@ Bedpan and nc73, from what I can tell by reading again my initial post, I don't see anything it saying that I didn't call Sol-Ark or that I don't know what the issue is. I was only trying to see if many other Sol-Ark 15K owners have the same issue. Sorry to disappoint you as I sense a bit of the "Oh you bought a Sol-Ark? How do you like it now? Ha Ha Ha!".

To the other posters who actually had something constructive to say (robby, RCinFLA and Solar Guppy), thank you for the suggestions and help.
From what the techs at Sol-Ark told me, they're having an issue with the units sometimes reading erroneous voltages at L1/L2 on the grid side so the Sol-Ark interpret them a something that could cause some damage and shuts down the transfer switch. According to Sol-Ark tech support, they are working on it but I just wanted to know if anyone else on this forum is going through the exact same things so we could share a few other things.
That's it, other than that the unit is awesome. I run passthrough my whole house and when on battery, I can run both my ACs and oven at the same time including all the other regular loads in my house which is on well and septic tank (2 pumps).

@ Bedpan and nc73, from what I can tell by reading again my initial post, I don't see anything it saying that I didn't call Sol-Ark or that I don't know what the issue is. I was only trying to see if many other Sol-Ark 15K owners have the same issue. Sorry to disappoint you as I sense a bit of the "Oh you bought a Sol-Ark? How do you like it now? Ha Ha Ha!".

To the other posters who actually had something constructive to say (robby, RCinFLA and Solar Guppy), thank you for the suggestions and help.
From what the techs at Sol-Ark told me, they're having an issue with the units sometimes reading erroneous voltages at L1/L2 on the grid side so the Sol-Ark interpret them a something that could cause some damage and shuts down the transfer switch. According to Sol-Ark tech support, they are working on it but I just wanted to know if anyone else on this forum is going through the exact same things so we could share a few other things.
That's it, other than that the unit is awesome. I run passthrough my whole house and when on battery, I can run both my ACs and oven at the same time including all the other regular loads in my house which is on well and septic tank (2 pumps).
I'm glad you read my post carefully.. I quite honestly was suggesting you call Sol-Ark. You did not put anywhere in there you have, or had any feed back from them on the issue. I asked in all honest how it goes, I am considering buying one in the future and wondering if the premium is worth it. As I said right in my post "Not meant to be a dig or anything, just wondering how they do".

Sorry I was not constructive enough for you to make sure you have done the obvious.

So instead of putting words in my mouth maybe try and be a nice internet user.. Ya right.. Ha Ha Ha...

I'm glad you read my post carefully.. I quite honestly was suggesting you call Sol-Ark. You did not put anywhere in there you have, or had any feed back from them on the issue. I asked in all honest how it goes, I am considering buying one in the future and wondering if the premium is worth it. As I said right in my post "Not meant to be a dig or anything, just wondering how they do".

Sorry I was not constructive enough for you to make sure you have done the obvious.

So instead of putting words in my mouth maybe try and be a nice internet user.. Ya right.. Ha Ha Ha...
I think anyone who reads the very simple and straight to the point question that I asked in my initial post and then read your answer won’t bother much with the word salad you just posted.

This guy was honestly saying call tech support and I'm curious how they do and you come back as a jerk.
And no wonder why the Sol-Ark fandom has a reputation ?

Reactions: JRH
Yes I belong to them now. I have “Sol Ark” tattooed on my ball sac and “15K” on my ass. I can send you a picture if you want. You should join. Women love us.
Dam you Sol-Ark I only got a 12K tattoo on my butt ?
They say that the amount of K's don't matter, but I think the women only say that to make us feel better.

Last edited:
Yes I belong to them now. I have “Sol Ark” tattooed on my ball sac and “15K” on my ass. I can send you a picture if you want. You should join. Women love us.
My local strip club has a back room reserved for sol-ark owners

I run 2x12Ks and they have glitched like this a few times, but they come back quickly too.

Just a thought, do you have batteries? In my case and for those running a pair of 12Ks, they specify that batteries are required.

I run 2x12Ks and they have glitched like this a few times, but they come back quickly too.

Just a thought, do you have batteries? In my case and for those running a pair of 12Ks, they specify that batteries are required.
That is another issue. I see where a lot of people are not setting the Battery Bank size in the Sol-Ark and then wonder why it glitches. If you leave the default which I think is 60 or 100Amps then the Inverter will cut out if you exceed the current setting. Also with some of these Telecom batteries, especially the EG4 they seem to have issues going past 30A of current draw per battery.

Highly doubt the inverter will glitch release from grid because you set battery AH size incorrectly. When it has actual DC input voltage measurement to rely on why go by a user setting. Shutting down inverter due to reaching low state of charge on Coulomb count or low battery voltage shutdown is another story but that is a longer shutdown, not a glitch. It would also not affect AC pass through.

Most glitch disconnects from grid is caused by inverter circuit AC current overload, in to, or out of grid. This puts a lot of stress on pass-through relay contacts when it releases under inverter surge current limit (about 130 amps AC current for SolArk 15k). It will also disconnect if AC input voltage goes out of range for some time period. Slow variations in grid AC voltage will be tracked by inverter.

Since split phase SolArk is two 120vac inverters in series, a poor input side neutral connection would trip out of range grid voltage. If neutral imbalance is caused by 120 vac loading on output side of SolArk via pass-through this can cause a lot of grid connect glitches as when inverter releases from grid, the neutral imbalance on inverter output 120vac loads is released, so poor input neutral connection caused grid neutral voltage imbalance corrects itself and inverter reconnects to grid again. Then the process repeats.

This is a tough situation for inverter firmware to handle. To keep inverter from destroying its pass-through relay it has to decide to give up at some point and permanently shut down.

Last edited:

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to confirm that there were issues with the 15K disconnecting from the grid due to inaccurate grid voltage readings. The problem is typically shown with an F55 fault followed by a grid disconnect and presented worse in inverters that are grid-tied with no battery. This has been addressed and corrected with the latest 15K firmware (6216).

If you still have issues with the inverter dropping out you can adjust the grid setting ride through. By default, the inverter should come programmed in UL1741SA with the frequency ride through on but you can also activate the voltage ride through setting. If you know you will not be selling to the utility you can even set the inverter to be in "General Standard" mode to widen your grid and voltage protection parameters. Keep in mind that general standard does not use ride-throughs, but it allows you to increase the overall connection range. Ex: Frequency connection range 55-65Hz.

Hello,
Does anyone on this forum have the same issue as me with the Sol-Ark 15K disconnecting itself from the grid at random?
It's usually for a very short time (30 sec) but creates many other issues.

Thanks

Did you enable EMP armor? Oopps not yet available?

As Carlos_Sol-Ark mentioned in his last message, the latest update fixed the issue. The system seems very stable so far.
For those who own a Sol-Ark and need tech support, if you get a support ticket and end up with a guy called Josh Wheaton, I strongly suggest that you cancel your ticket and get somebody else. For someone who is supposed to be a "solar engineer", his knowledge and troubleshooting skills are...well...very troubling. According to him, the sol-ark 15K isn't really supposed to handle microinverters so he basically told me to switch my PV system to DC only, or at least half of it! Really dude? After spending good money on an inverter that is supposed to AC couple, you're telling me that I have now to dump at least half of my micro-inverters and switch half of my panels to DC so that the sol-ark can handle it? Unreal. And I have the emails to prove all this BS. Then after that, his suggestion was that the 20KW battery bank couldn't take the charge fast enough so that was the reason causing all the Sol-Ark shutdowns because it had nowhere to send the extra PV power when it disconnected from the grid. Another BS, and after I showed him that the batteries weren't the issue (they could talk a much higher charge current from the grid when needed), he got frustrated because I guess the little stupid customer didn't want to listen to the very smart solar engineer and forwarded my ticket to Cooper. Well, I'm glad I didn't listen to him because, without spending loads of cash modifying my PV system, everything now works perfectly. Other than this guy, everybody that I spoke with at Sol-Ark on the tech support side was a pleasure to deal with especially Cooper. She is awesome.

Last edited:
Mine actually started doing this occasionally (after the update a few weeks ago). I think it might be seeing real grid issues though. Increasing the "Grid high" voltage seems to have fixed it. Since changing that parameter the only time it has happened was about 1 minute before the grid went down last week due to someone hitting a utility pole.

diy solar

diy solar
Back