diy solar

diy solar

Solar Assistant and Sol-Ark 15k Specifically

outrigger9999

Hello,

New to this forum. I was wondering if anyone has connected Solar Assistant (running on a Pi) specifically to the Sol-Ark 15k and what cables they used exactly. I visited the web site already and their support for the 15k is spotty. The pictures are slightly different than what actually exists on the 15k so if someone has done this already, please inform me which cables you used and where you connected it specifically.

On a reply from the web site, they said that for the 15k, if you'd like to both see and control the software from within Solar Assistant, you need to remove the Wifi dongle and use that RS232 connection. Otherwise, if you use the RS485 connection you will have read-only access. Can someone confirm this and tell me what else the wifi dongle is used for? I have a wired connection into the system so do I need the wifi dongle?

Thanks,

I know there's atleast a dozen people on here with solar assistant and a SolArk 15k. There's no spotty support, and they sell a very simple cable on their website just for it. Just plug it in and it just works, following the instructions on their website

I made a splitter with rj45 jacks. CAN only got the blue and light blue from the t568b standard. Rs485 got the rest. Connect a standard network cable to the sol ark and you can communicate simultaneously with batteries (CAN) and solar assist (rs485)

SolarAssistant

https://solar-assistant.io/help/deye/2_in_1_bms_port
SolarAssistant

I use ethernet, which goes into the dongle. I can communicate both ways. You will need a splitter to have both battery and SA connected to the inverter, and not an ethernet splitter.

So long as your battery is communicating via canbus then all you need is the Y splitter.
If your batteries are using rs485 then things become complicated.

So long as your battery is communicating via canbus then all you need is the Y splitter.
If your batteries are using rs485 then things become complicated.
Not really, you should be able to use the same splitter, or use the second rs485 pair

I already have a splitter on the 15k port. CAN goes to battery, and RS485 goes to a Savant Director.
The Savant Director has two RS485 ports, but the documentation says both are terminated, so should be on the end. I'm assuming that it means two separate RS485 busses, rather than being able to daisychain through it.

I'm thinking a middle daisy chain RS485 port for the Solar Assistant.

Is the CAN bus the same? Put the Solar Assistant in the middle between the battery and 15k? Or, I have a free CAN port on one of the batteries (each battery has 2 CAN ports).

Last edited:
The second port is disabled in the firmware.
I think it might be enabled when they release the Smart loads panel.
I wasn't talking about a second port, but second pair.

The BMS port support 2 x can and 4 x rs485 over the same portsunsynk_8k-9c5eba60e35716d473c30164dcabe615.png

Pair 4+5 are CANBUS

RS485 Port on pins1 and 2 is disabled!
It only has two RS485 ports and 1 canbus.
I have been down this road with Sol-Ark for months.
Certainly not on the BMS port, I am using that ATM for SA.
PIN 7+8 are also being used for a test device, seplos batteries are on the canbus pair.

Are you sure we're talking about the BMS port here ?

Just a heads up if anyone is considering using Solar Assistant with the Sol-Ark 15k and the EG4 Power Pro batteries (they use the same BMS as the EG4 LL batteries) or the EG4 LL V2 batteries the splitter will cause BMS issues. Wish it weren’t so because I love SA and the frequency it poles the inverter. Also SA to me is better software than Power View. That being said I love my Sol-Ark 15ks and my EG4 batteries. BMS is working between then so far.

Back