diy solar

diy solar

Sol-ark can protocol same as victron?

No.15

That's my number
Been emailing different bms companies trying to confirm if they will work with my sol-ark 15k on the can bus.

So far 2 have replied. Rec bms said they can talk pylontech and provided me with lots of info, including part numbers that work with my system.

So orion emailed me and said that the 15k sol-ark uses the same setup as victron. Does this seem right? I know nothing about either system so I thought I would ask.

I am trying to decide between the batrium, rec and orion bms's for my setup. I will say all 3 are expensive.

Page 45 of your manual shows all of the Communication Protocols that are available in the Sol-Ark 15k.

Page 45 of your manual shows all of the Communication Protocols that are available in the Sol-Ark 15k.
Understand and I have looked at it. ThT is why I know the rec will work because it can speak pylontech.

I guess my question is what is victron using? Orion says that their victron settings will communicate with the sol-ark. I am trying to independently verify that.

For reference p45 of manual
00: CANBus Battery mode – Inverter also acts a ModBus slave with slave ID set by “ModBus SN Setting” (Pg. 32)
01: Storz ModBus Protocol
02: Pylontech ModBus Protocol
03: Old Blue Ion + eGauge / Polarium ModBus Protocol
04: Fortress Power ModBus Protocol
05: Kilovault HAB ModBus Protocol
06: Battery or Battery Controller is ModBus master and writes battery data to inverter’s BMS registers (not currently in

So orion emailed me and said that the 15k sol-ark uses the same setup as victron. Does this seem right? I know nothing about either system so I thought I would ask.
I have an Orion BMS JR2 and I used a Victron setting on the Orion and the SolArk connected. If I recall correctly I did not have to change any settings in the SolArk. If you decide on the Orion, ping me because there are some helpful hints to get the most out of that interface. Some of them are discussed in my build thread.

Last edited:
I have an Orion BMS JR2 and I used a Victron setting on the Orion and the SolArk connected. If I recall correctly I did not have to change any settings in the SolArk.
If you were starting over would you pick the Orion again?

I am basically between the Orion and the REC bms

f you were starting over would you pick the Orion again?
Yes, most definitely. I have been using various Orion BMSs for twelve years. I got introduced to them when I did an EV conversion in 2011. I have a 3P16S pack and feel more comfortable with at Contactor based BMS for that pack.

Yes, most definitely. I have been using various Orion BMSs for twelve years. I got introduced to them when I did an EV conversion in 2011. I have a 3P16S pack and feel more comfortable with at Contactor based BMS for that pack.
Thanks.

I am wanting a contactor based bms as well. I feel it us the right solution for the setup I am after. I get the impression the board feels differently :)

I get the impression the board feels differently
I do value other opinions, but I also believe the use case matters. To me it is a risk management issue. My large pack cost me about $5,000 dollars and I want a contactor based BMS because MOSFETs do fail closed. Also I might not be home when a power failure could create a big discharge event and I want less risk for the investment I have in my pack. I have a smaller ebike pack and have a MOSFET based BMS on that just because of the price ratio. Also, with an ebike I most likely will be riding it when the pack is in heavy discharge and I can always disconnect the pack if the BMS fails closed.

@Ampster can you confirm what BMS protocol you used? I'm looking at doing the same thing (Orion based BMS to Sol-Ark). It sounds like you just connected it and it worked, but I am curious what BMS protocol was selected, or if modbus (00) was used. I can't remember what the default setting was. I'd like to verify this before I start buying hardware.

Or- does someone know what protocol Victron uses? Even just googling that I'm not finding much.

I've got lots of experience with Orion in the EV world and they are a great company, with great products and support. So far Sol-Ark has been pretty good but they have little knowledge outside of their own products.

Also since it's been a while, let us know how your system is doing still. What cells did you use?

@No. 15 did you do it and how did it work out?

Back