diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark Increased Self-Load Power Usage

lingley_can

Anyone with a Sol-Ark that has noticed an increase in the “self-load” power usage (battery load minus house load, or PV input - house load - battery input, etc.) after a recent firmware upgrade? Are Sol-Ark users taking any of the more recent upgrades? Any users want to volunteer what they are seeing for self-load on specific versions of firmware?

I have had the 8K installed since last summer for my off-grid system, and I've watched it very carefully since install. The specs for the 8K claim a 60W self load.

When I went from 5206 to 5210 firmware in late February, the typical self load went from 60-90W to 90-120W (approximately). Trying to engage with Sol-Ark support, but they are not too concerned about this. Being off-grid, every watt counts, so this has me disturbed…I'd also appreciate comments on how other off-grid users would feel about such an unexpected change.

I have a 12K and have noticed the opposite. It use to pull about 50-60W from the batteries when it was on standby but now it reading about 40W.
I am not sure if the Hall effect sensors are all that accurate with these tiny currents. Have you ever checked it with a clamp meter to confirm.

I have a 12K and have noticed the opposite. It use to pull about 50-60W from the batteries when it was on standby but now it reading about 40W.
I am not sure if the Hall effect sensors are all that accurate with these tiny currents. Have you ever checked it with a clamp meter to confirm.
Thanks for the reply @robby. Unfortunately, I'm not technically proficient and have no "gear" (professionally installed, not DIY, and probably for the better!). Not sure what "standby" means (or if it is an overloaded term). My system always draws a house load, so it is not "standby" waiting for an AC load. Sol-Ark did have me turn off PV and house loads just to test that scenario (which would be "standby"?)...78-81W.

Would you mind sharing the firmware version where you saw this change?

Last edited:
The firmware numbering is different for the 8K and 12K. Even the Indoor vs outdoor models use different numbering.
Mine is 6.2.0.1
(Corrected Version# is 6.2.1.0 (after reading post #5 and rechecking my unit)
Standby is when there is no PV coming in at night and your TOU is set to not use the batteries so the Inverter is just basically passing the Grid tie voltage to the loads and resting. Since you are off Grid I assume you always getting power from the PV or Batteries. When that is happening the Inverter will probably use more power, but I am not sure how you are separating out what the Inverter is consuming from what the house is using.
You would have to shutdown the Loads breaker and just let it idle at night to see the current consumption. I guess you could try a fixed load like a 100 watt Incandescent light bulb and see what the Inverter is using. Subtract out the 100 watts and that should be the inverters approx consumption.

Last edited:
The firmware numbering is different for the 8K and 12K. Even the Indoor vs outdoor models use different numbering.
Mine is 6.2.0.1

Standby is when there is no PV coming in at night and your TOU is set to not use the batteries so the Inverter is just basically passing the Grid tie voltage to the loads and resting. Since you are off Grid I assume you always getting power from the PV or Batteries. When that is happening the Inverter will probably use more power, but I am not sure how you are separating out what the Inverter is consuming from what the house is using.
You would have to shutdown the Loads breaker and just let it idle at night to see the current consumption. I guess you could try a fixed load like a 100 watt Incandescent light bulb and see what the Inverter is using. Subtract out the 100 watts and that should be the inverters approx consumption.
Right, the numbering is different, but recent ones have been incrementing in "lock-step" (5.2.0.6 with 6.2.0.6, 5.2.1.0 with 6.2.1.0). If I'm reading this right, your firmware is not very new (I took 5.2.0.6 around November 2021, 5.2.1.0 in February, and 5.2.1.1 a couple days ago). Please feel free to request an upgrade and tell me what you experience! :)

Basically, I'm calculating the self-load as you are describing, although I'm using PVPro and the display at various points to observe the values and subtract away load as you describe. Sol-Ark engineers did agree that doing this SHOULD give me what the inverter itself is using, give or take a few watts.

Right, the numbering is different, but recent ones have been incrementing in "lock-step" (5.2.0.6 with 6.2.0.6, 5.2.1.0 with 6.2.1.0). If I'm reading this right, your firmware is not very new (I took 5.2.0.6 around November 2021, 5.2.1.0 in February, and 5.2.1.1 a couple days ago). Please feel free to request an upgrade and tell me what you experience! :)

Basically, I'm calculating the self-load as you are describing, although I'm using PVPro and the display at various points to observe the values and subtract away load as you describe. Sol-Ark engineers did agree that doing this SHOULD give me what the inverter itself is using, give or take a few watts.
Sorry, I got mine mixed up 6.2.1.0 not 6.2.0.1 it was a typo.
I just upgraded mine two weeks ago.
Yes I see where they just released a new version at the end of last week that is 6.2.1.1 but I kind of expect a lot of small updates over the next 4 weeks as they release the 15K model and the smart power panel

Last edited:
If I remember correctly. There's two different firmwares. One for the indoor units, and one for the outdoor units. It's possible that you have installed the incorrect firmware. A lower version number, means. That you are installing an older version, or the incorrect firmware.

Sorry, I got mine mixed up 6.2.1.0 not 6.2.0.1 it was a typo.
I just upgraded mine two weeks ago.
Yes I see where they just released a new version at the end of last week that is 6.2.1.1 but I kind of expect a lot of small updates over the next 4 weeks as they release the 15K model and the smart power panel
At least that part makes sense! Thanks for the confirmation!

If I remember correctly. There's two different firmwares. One for the indoor units, and one for the outdoor units. It's possible that you have installed the incorrect firmware. A lower version number, means. That you are installing an older version, or the incorrect firmware.
Hey there. If you are referring to the difference of versions between Robby and me, that seems directly related to my 8K unit vs Robby’s 12K unit. I darn well hope they got the firmware version right!

Hey there. If you are referring to the difference of versions between Robby and me, that seems directly related to my 8K unit vs Robby’s 12K unit. I darn well hope they got the firmware version right!
I would suspect the Inverter will not accept anything but the correct version for your model.
I am just remembering the Tech said to me that as of 2 months ago they split the numbering system for Indoor and outdoor units. Indoor start with #3 and outdoor with #6. I did not ask him about 8K versus 12K. I do know that people who have an outdoor 12K unit and have not updated it in the last few months may still have a Version number that starts with #3

If you feel that something is wrong, call them and they will check it online and correct it if needed.

Last edited:
I would suspect the Inverter will not accept anything but the correct version for your model.
I am just remembering the Tech said to me that as of 2 months ago they split the numbering system for Indoor and outdoor units. Indoor start with #3 and outdoor with #6. I did not ask him about 8K versus 12K. I do know that people who have an outdoor 12K unit and have not updated it in the last few months may still have a Version number that starts with #3

If you feel that something is wrong, call them and they will check it online and correct it if needed.
The models are basically the same. It's just a few parameters that are different between the inside units and the outside units. Won't be a problem for models being sold now, or in the future. Because they don't offer an indoor model, anymore.

FWIW, the plot thickens...

Sol-Ark downgraded my MCU firmware on Friday; there was a small improvement in self-load power usage, but nothing remotely close to my original usage. What they didn't do was downgrade my Comm firmware...request is in for Comm downgrade for next weekend.

Back