diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark new optimizer

rfm51

I watched a new video by Solar Surge about SolArk’s new micro optimizer and was wondering if any one has tried them. Supposed to provide rapid PV shut-down.

I like that the control board just fits right into the inverter.

Just saw the new optimizers featured on Sol-Ark's website (including spec sheets and installation guides):

@Carlos_Sol-Ark, any word on when these will be GA?

The optimizer says it has max inputs 80V 14A , MPPT voltage range 18 - 80v. On the output side it says the max series fuse is 30 A.

The sol-ark 12K has the following limits listed, MPPT voltage range 150 - 425V 500V max, 20 A max per channel (x2) m 6500 W per channel

I'd like to know more about the "optimization" How does one calculate what the string voltage and current into the inverter will be with optimizers installed? Are these buck/boost optimizers?

Given the wide voltage input range on the optimizer could one string together mismatched panels with different VOC and ISC ratings or have parallel strings with different numbers of panels in series? Can I have a 54 cell in series with a 60 cell in series with a 72 cell in series etc
Could multiple modules be connected in series parallel to one optimizer?

How do these differ from the solar edge DC optimizers?

I have a ground mount so rapid shutdown is not currently required but having per panel MPPT could be useful. If the optimizers can increase the inverter PV input voltage and decrease the current then there would be reduced I^2 R losses ... does this make up for the losses in each module?

The optimizer says it has max inputs 80V 14A , MPPT voltage range 18 - 80v. On the output side it says the max series fuse is 30 A.

The sol-ark 12K has the following limits listed, MPPT voltage range 150 - 425V 500V max, 20 A max per channel (x2) m 6500 W per channel

I'd like to know more about the "optimization" How does one calculate what the string voltage and current into the inverter will be with optimizers installed? Are these buck/boost optimizers?

Given the wide voltage input range on the optimizer could one string together mismatched panels with different VOC and ISC ratings or have parallel strings with different numbers of panels in series? Can I have a 54 cell in series with a 60 cell in series with a 72 cell in series etc
Could multiple modules be connected in series parallel to one optimizer?

How do these differ from the solar edge DC optimizers?

I have a ground mount so rapid shutdown is not currently required but having per panel MPPT could be useful. If the optimizers can increase the inverter PV input voltage and decrease the current then there would be reduced I^2 R losses ... does this make up for the losses in each module?

Spec sheet says maximum 1 module per optimizer. https://www.sol-ark.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/O900-80V-SPECSHEET-1.pdf

Just heard back from someone at Sol-Ark on their optimizers. ETA is mid-to-late June for general availability.

@HighTechLab: Dexter, is that your understanding as well?

Just heard back from someone at Sol-Ark on their optimizers. ETA is mid-to-late June for general availability.

@HighTechLab: Dexter, is that your understanding as well?
Exactly what the email we got this morning said. Sounds like they are finishing up some tweaks on the software and we will have pricing available around the beginning of next month.

Exactly what the email we got this morning said. Sounds like they are finishing up some tweaks on the software and we will have pricing available around the beginning of next month.
Did they mention any details about the PLC TX 15K-A transmitter? Will that be released at the same time, bundled somehow, or be an additional-cost item? Did they say you'd get pricing on that?

Did they mention any details about the PLC TX 15K-A transmitter? Will that be released at the same time, bundled somehow, or be an additional-cost item? Did they say you'd get pricing on that?
We are a mushroom when it comes to this level of detail...left to grow in the dark. I think next week should yield more useful information.

I'm having two 15K installed in July. I want these optimizers. Fingers crossed. My installer emailed me yesterday. They contacted Sol-Ark, but were not given an availability date.

FWIW, someone on Reddit replied to a comment I made regarding the optimizers:
Those optimizers are finishing up beta right now being deployed on a few homes in Texas. I think first week of July is very realistic to start getting inventory.
He also mentioned that this week, Sol-ark has been sending new price lists to US distributors with lower prices on some equipment. I haven't seen that show up yet on at least a couple of websites, but perhaps worth looking out for if you'll be purchasing any big-ticket products soon.

Last edited:
Sol-Ark Official Statement

Thank you for being a Sol-Ark customer. I’m thrilled to officially announce the launch of two new Commercial Hybrid Solar Battery Systems. The 30K-3P-208V is designed for heavy residential/light commercial, and the 60K-3P-480V is designed for heavier commercial/industrial and light utility. The 30K is already UL and CEC listed, while the 60K UL is expected next week. Both are in production, and we have several battery partners to choose from. These products were developed based on feedback from valued customers like you to enable uninterrupted operations and true energy independence for businesses.

The EMP Hardened 15K passed 3rd party EMP conducted and radiated testing.

Our soon-to-ship O900-80V optimizers for the 12K & 15K improve partially shaded panel power output by 10-25% more than some competitors. Though they cost about 2X rapid shutdown only, the 5%+ daily output increase returns 2X the cost.

In order to serve our strong customer demand, we have moved into a new state-of-the-art Headquarters and Manufacturing Facility in Allen, Texas. This will enable us to house our rapidly growing Team to better support you and to deliver improved product lead times (after we catch up from our move).

Sol-Ark was founded on a mission to make the most reliable, innovative, and affordable solar storage solutions to power families and businesses. Our founding mission continues to guide our business strategy today. We understand the challenges posed by the current economic conditions, including the rise in interest and electricity rates. Our commitment to making solar storage solutions accessible and affordable remains unwavering. To better cater to the evolving needs of our valued customers, we are pleased to announce a reduction in prices for our residential inverters.

Your Regional Sales Manager will be reaching out to you to share the details of our new pricing.

I would like to express my sincere gratitude for your continued partnership with Sol-Ark. We value your trust and support and are committed to delivering the highest level of customer satisfaction. Together, we will continue to innovate, transform industries, and enable families and businesses to achieve true energy independence.

Sincerely,

https://stratus.campaign-image.com/images/700816000025351005_zc_v1_1686753489147_image_(5).png

Tom Brennan

CEO and CTO, Sol-Ark

Just for another option, you might want to check out Enteligent's RSD/optimizers (https://enteligent.com/nmax-rsd-+-optimizer). Seems comparable in specs. I know that Enteligent had been "working closely" with Sol-Ark on both their RSD/optimizer and "Hybrid DC-coupled Bi-Directional Fast EV Charger" offerings. I'm not positive, but since they are Sunspec compliant I believe the Enteligent's RSD/optimizers can be used with the Sol-Ark RSD transmitter.

Just for another option, you might want to check out Enteligent's RSD/optimizers (https://enteligent.com/nmax-rsd-+-optimizer). Seems comparable in specs. I know that Enteligent had been "working closely" with Sol-Ark on both their RSD/optimizer and "Hybrid DC-coupled Bi-Directional Fast EV Charger" offerings. I'm not positive, but since they are Sunspec compliant I believe the Enteligent's RSD/optimizers can be used with the Sol-Ark RSD transmitter.
If one will be running a Sol-Ark 12k or 15k inverter, one advantage with using the new Sol-Ark optimizers is that there's only one throat you'll need to choke if there are any interoperability issues.

Back