diy solar

diy solar

Sol-Ark users and firmware versions

lingley_can

This is a more general "survey" to follow up to a previous post.

Any Sol-Ark users (preferable 8K, but even 12K) want to weigh in on if you keep current with "recent" firmware (2022? i.e. You are asking Sol-Ark for upgrades.) or if you just choose to stay on "older" firmware (2021 and earlier. i.e. you just don't bother asking for upgrades)?

If you don't mind posting your MCU and Comm firmware versions, it might help me understand more to chase down my self-load power usage problems...

Adv-thanks-ance!

Just installed a 12k in the last couple of months. Did the initial software update and occasionally look to see if any new one is available. I think Sol-Ark recommends updates if I remember correctly. Looks like I'm 2 versions behind after checking today. I have EG4LL batteries and understand an update is coming out Monday, the 25th, to allow them to communicate. I would quiz Sol-Ark before an update just to understand what it is for.

I just updated my firmware monday this week and since that update one of my mppt channels has been drawing less power than the other, 90% of the time. I need to email them about that lol

I am on Ver 6.2.1.0
I installed it about a month ago and I think they have had two updates since then.
I typically ask them what the changes are. If it does something new that I can use or it fixes an issue I will update.

Last edited:
I just updated my firmware monday this week and since that update one of my mppt channels has been drawing less power than the other, 90% of the time. I need to email them about that lol
I am not 100% sure because this was almost 9 months ago. I think when I called to get my first update I was worried about it screwing up my system and the guy said to me something like don't worry, if your having an issue we can roll you back to your previous version if your not happy. I am not sure if they still do that but it would not hurt to call them and ask them if they can roll you back to your previous version.

I have done about 4 updates and I remember one of them was causing the Dongle to disconnect every couple of days. The next update fixed the issue.

Hi all!

I’ve asked them multiple times what changes were in the upgrades and they refused to tell me. No published release notes, no willingness to tell me.

They did eventually downgrade my firmware (first the MCU, then later the Comm). I shared test results from each configuration with them. I had experienced APPROXIMATELY 30W increased self-load. The MCU downgrade accounted for ROUGHLY 10W, the Comm downgrade ROUGHLY the remaining 20W. They still seem relatively indifferent and disinterested, even though the test results blatantly demonstrate that the firmware upgrades put them out of spec (I.e. their 60W self load from their marketing material…).

If you can’t tell, I’m not impressed. But at least I’m back on the old firmware with the reasonable behavior…and I don’t know what I’m missing, because they won’t tell me!

I’d be interested in what you guys are experiencing as a battery draw with both any source (PV or grid) and any load off. The new firmware had me at around 80W, but now I’m back to around 50W.

Hi all!

I’ve asked them multiple times what changes were in the upgrades and they refused to tell me. No published release notes, no willingness to tell me.
That is odd because several other people including myself have been told what the updates add to the system and if it fixes a major issue they tell me what the bugs are.
They did eventually downgrade my firmware (first the MCU, then later the Comm). I shared test results from each configuration with them. I had experienced APPROXIMATELY 30W increased self-load. The MCU downgrade accounted for ROUGHLY 10W, the Comm downgrade ROUGHLY the remaining 20W. They still seem relatively indifferent and disinterested, even though the test results blatantly demonstrate that the firmware upgrades put them out of spec (I.e. their 60W self load from their marketing material…).
Yes I have seen the self load go up and then back down after another release. I suppose the indifference you experienced was because it's one of the new CSR people and he probably has no idea how important that power is. I wonder if the guys name starts with a "J"? He is one of the only people I have talked to at Sol-Ark that was not pleasant to deal with.

Glad to at least hear that they still allow users to go back to older firmware.
If you can’t tell, I’m not impressed. But at least I’m back on the old firmware with the reasonable behavior…and I don’t know what I’m missing, because they won’t tell me!
What version are you running now?

Last edited:
That is odd because several other people including myself have been told what the updates add to the system and if it fixes a major issue they tell me what bugs.

Yes I have seen the self load go up and then back down after another release. I suppose the indifference you experienced was because it's one of the new CSR people and he probably has no idea how important that power is. I wonder if the guys name starts with a "J"? He is one of the only people I have talked to at Sol-Ark that was not pleasant to deal with.

Glad to at least hear that they still allow users to go back to older firmware.

What version are you running now?
The name didn’t start with a ‘J’, no. ? I’ve talked to a couple including a manager (engineering manager?); they were pleasant, but more frustrating, seeming to say they took it seriously, even saying they would investigate, but zero follow up and then telling me it was not a priority.

I’m now back to 5.2.0.6 (MCU) and 1.4.F.A (Comm).

The name didn’t start with a ‘J’, no. ? I’ve talked to a couple including a manager (engineering manager?); they were pleasant, but more frustrating, seeming to say they took it seriously, even saying they would investigate, but zero follow up and then telling me it was not a priority.

I’m now back to 5.2.0.6 (MCU) and 1.4.F.A (Comm).
I am on Ver 6.2.1.0
Off the top of my head,,, Some of the big additions since then included the new MPPT algorith which increases PV producton by about 5-8% (This one was huge for me, an extra 500 Watts right after the update). The addition of Generator exercising scheduling. Eg Turn on Saturdays at 11am for 20 minutes. The addition of Seasonal Shifting for TOU. Some soft start options were added.
Some bug fixes included Generator starting issues, Some Comm drop out issues. Comm reconnect issues.

There were probably a lot of other small things that they did not mention to me or I did not notice.

I am on Ver 6.2.1.0
Off the top of my head,,, Some of the big additions since then included the new MPPT algorith which increases PV producton by about 5-8% (This one was huge for me, an extra 500 Watts right after the update). The addition of Generator exercising scheduling. Eg Turn on Saturdays at 11am for 20 minutes. The addition of Seasonal Shifting for TOU. Some soft start options were added.
Some bug fixes included Generator starting issues, Some Comm drop out issues. Comm reconnect issues.

There were probably a lot of other small things that they did not mention to me or I did not notice.
Wow! That’s some good information. Thank you! You must be a preferred customer! Maybe they treat their 12K customers better. ?

I am not 100% sure because this was almost 9 months ago. I think when I called to get my first update I was worried about it screwing up my system and the guy said to me something like don't worry, if your having an issue we can roll you back to your previous version if your not happy. I am not sure if they still do that but it would not hurt to call them and ask them if they can roll you back to your previous version.

I have done about 4 updates and I remember one of them was causing the Dongle to disconnect every couple of days. The next update fixed the issue.
Yea, I did email support and they're suppose to get with me after Monday to do a factory reset on my unit. Out of curiosity, I switched my string inputs (move string 2 to PV1 input and vice versa). This didn't make any difference. PV1 is still putting out less than PV2 90% of the time so I'm positive the issue is with the sol-ark. Will be rolling back the update to see if the issue goes away.

I am on Ver 6.2.1.0

I am on 6.2.1.2
I bet this latest update, something got messed up with the MPPT algo.

Yea, I did email support and they're suppose to get with me after Monday to do a factory reset on my unit. Out of curiosity, I switched my string inputs (move string 2 to PV1 input and vice versa). This didn't make any difference. PV1 is still putting out less than PV2 90% of the time so I'm positive the issue is with the sol-ark. Will be rolling back the update to see if the issue goes away.
I am sure they will get you sorted. Using the Web interface have you ever looked at the graphs under:
(Equipment - Inverter - Click Serial Number - Click Input at the top)
The Ipv and Vpv curves can be selected. Is it the Ipv curve that is lower or the Vpv. You can see both MPPT controllers so one of them must be showing if it's a voltage or current drop vs the other.
I am on 6.2.1.2
I bet this latest update, something got messed up with the MPPT algo.
It's very possible that something went wrong with the update, it happens with almost every product.
The amount of loss you have is almost what we gained when they did that fantastic update about 3 months ago. Maybe someone accidentally used the old Algorithm code back on one of the MPPT's.

Wow! That’s some good information. Thank you! You must be a preferred customer! Maybe they treat their 12K customers better. ?
:ROFLMAO: LOL no, it really depends on who you get on the phone. Some of the newer CS guys will tell me nothing because I honestly don't think they know. The CS guys who have been there from the start always seem to know what is going on and they are typically willing to share the Changes they know about. Also somethings I find out by digging into the Menus.

Last edited:
I am sure they will get you sorted. Using the Web interface have you ever looked at the graphs under:
(Equipment - Inverter - Click Serial Number - Click Input at the top)
The Ipv and Vpv curves can be selected. Is it the Ipv curve that is lower or the Vpv. You can see both MPPT controllers so one of them must be showing if it's a voltage or current drop vs the other.

It's very possible that something went wrong with the update, it happens with almost every product.
The amount of loss you have is almost what we gained when they did that fantastic update about 3 months ago. Maybe someone accidentally used the old Algorithm code back on one of the MPPT's.
I have full faith in them to fix the issue! Yes, the web interface is how I figured out there even was a problem. It seems like the Ipv and Vpv curves are inverse most of the time. Most of the time. Relative to pv2, sometimes pv1 has lower voltage and is putting out less watts/amps and sometimes pv1 has higher voltage and is still putting out less watts/amps. It is the same no matter which string is plugged in to the inputs. Sol-ark even verified it in their first reply to my question on a Friday night. Cudos to their support team btw, I can't say enough good things about their support.

btw my graphs look like crap because it's been cloudy.. like most of the week.

Attachments

• InkedScreenshot_20220423-143513_PV Pro_LI.jpg
    InkedScreenshot_20220423-143513_PV Pro_LI.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 11
  • InkedScreenshot_20220423-143522_PV Pro_LI.jpg
    InkedScreenshot_20220423-143522_PV Pro_LI.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 11
I have full faith in them to fix the issue! Yes, the web interface is how I figured out there even was a problem. It seems like the Ipv and Vpv curves are inverse most of the time. Most of the time. Relative to pv2, sometimes pv1 has lower voltage and is putting out less watts/amps and sometimes pv1 has higher voltage and is still putting out less watts/amps. It is the same no matter which string is plugged in to the inputs. Sol-ark even verified it in their first reply to my question on a Friday night. Cudos to their support team btw, I can't say enough good things about their support.

btw my graphs look like crap because it's been cloudy.. like most of the week.
The Inverse thing is normal. As the Ipv or current draw goes up the panels voltage will dip and vice versa.
Anyway let me not derail the Ops thread any further. Hopefully a Roll back will fix the issues and then version 6.2.1.3 will have the fix included.

Last edited:
I’d be interested in what you guys are experiencing as a battery draw with both any source (PV or grid) and any load off. The new firmware had me at around 80W, but now I’m back to around 50W.
For the 12K outdoor model I've seen 80 watts draw for the short amount of time I've had it installed. Would love to see 50 watts!

MCU: 6212 updated this week. Comm: 1432-0717. BTW, the only solar I have going to it is AC coupled.

MCU: 6212 updated this week. Comm: 1432-0717. BTW, the only solar I have going to it is AC coupled.
Right. So, there you go. Thank you.

I can only assume that slightly older firmware would put you "within spec" (around that 50-60W range)...assume without a deeper analysis.

I'm not sure what your motivation is for saying 50W would be nice, but mine is based on needing to conserve as much as possible on those 3 or more cloudy day stretches. That extra 30W adds up (and I bought a unit that "promised" a typical 60W).

I'm only one voice, and I'm back on the x.2.0.6 and 1.4.F.A versions now, but I don't look forward to a time when they want me to upgrade! I'm very disappointed they are not treating this "out of spec" with any priority.

Back