diy solar

diy solar

Solar added to a progressive dynamics 30a in a cargo conversion

reich72

So I have a cargo conversion that I just completed that has a progressive dynamics 30a camper style converter . I've since decided to add a solar setup to this . I've already purchased 8- 100w panels , 2- 12v 100ah Battleborn batteries, a All In One Growatt 3000 24v inverter/charger, and orion-tr smart 24/12-30(360) isolated dc-dc........ And of course I have many questions...1. How can I tie this into my progressive dynamics converter. 2. Can I add 2 more batteries down the road ? 3. What's my best layout of panels to maximize the Growatt ? Note: I have shore/generator power coming into the trailer now and could use some major help on laying this out along with fuses and wire gauge. Please and thank you in advance.

1) treat the new components as an "on board shore power" system. Plug our converter into the AC output of the inverter to charge/power the 12V system.

2) Yes.

3) likely 4S2P

Shore/Generator output connected to Growatt AC input. When generator is running, it will power all AC loads and charge the 24V via the Growatt., so the generator needs to be powerful enough to handle both loads and charging. Note that with Growatt, they can be picky about generator power. If it's an inverter generator, it's likely fine. Educate yourself on settings 12, 13 and whichever one sets the utility charge current amps. You may need to lower those amps to get reliable charging.

So where the 10 gauge wire is coming in from shore power to the converter. Is that where the wire would be coming from the Growatt and then going into the main breaker of the converter? The solar really makes myself feel like an idiot sometimes. This is what a guy I've talked to on and off about solar has come up with. Does this make any sense?PXL_20230212_020552494.jpg

So where the 10 gauge wire is coming in from shore power to the converter. Is that where the wire would be coming from the Growatt and then going into the main breaker of the converter?

Yep. Need suitable fuses/breakers.

The solar really makes myself feel like an idiot sometimes. This is what a guy I've talked to on and off about solar has come up with. Does this make any sense?

Yep.

How does it connect into the 12v loads. Would I be using 14awg wire from the 24/12 Orion to the loads ?

I believe it can be both but in this case it will be a converter
It makes the ac2dc converter redundant.
The ac2dc converter is brutally inefficient.
Whereas the dc2dc converter is very efficient.
I suggest you just remove the ac2dc converter and put the dc2dc converter in its place.
Check the dimensions It will probably fit.
If not put the dc2dc converter as close to the dc distribution center as possible.

BTW an isolated dc2dc converter would have been less expensive than the charger.
A non-isolated converter would be even less cash.

BTW an isolated dc2dc converter would have been less expensive than the charger.
A non-isolated converter would be even less cash.
Yeah I'm very uneducated in this stuff and trying to learn as I go. Is there anything else I could use that would downsize the 24 volt coming from the battery before it goes into the camper 12 volt system?

Yeah I'm very uneducated in this stuff and trying to learn as I go. Is there anything else I could use that would downsize the 24 volt coming from the battery before it goes into the camper 12 volt system?
The 70 amp version of this.
should be less expensive for double the power.

Back