diy solar

diy solar

Solar Array 5S2P

nightrage

Hi Everyone,
I appreciate very much the assistance and thoughts received so far. Im so close to having the entire system running but have encountered a problem

The first array is 4S2P. Connected to EITHER 3000 ES Growatt inverters the array works just fine.

My second array is 5S2P. All of the panels have individually been tested and work just fine.

HOWEVER, when I have connected them to either inverter I am not getting any power. The solar emblem on either inverter does not light up like it does on my first array.

So i disconnected the PV wires from the working array and plugged them into the "Non working" array and still no power.

I am totally baffled as to where the problem resides. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Kent

( Isn't this fun)

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I did remove one panel and only tried a total of 4 panels so I bet we are safe as signature solar had all the information and said it was okay before i ever did any connections, but I will check again in the morning to confirm. Hopefully youre on to something as I dont really need all these panels anyway to supply the demands of the house

The 5 in series is likely over volting the input. The MaxPV Input is a HARD limit. What's the VoC on those panels?
So it looks like the VOC is 40.9 on the 9 320 watt panels and 40.4 on the 1 350 watt panels. Kodi from Sig Solar said this would be okay so I did the connection. However, I did connect only 4 of the 320 watt panels in series and connected that to one inverter and still didnt get any solar signal. Should not that have solved the problem if there was so much VOC?

PS My gal loves your handle!!!

Thanks
Kent

Last edited:
You probably want to remove your phone number in a general post.

You can send a PM (private message), if someone requests it.

I sometimes move conversations to private messages…

So it looks like the VOC is 40.9 on the 9 320 watt panels and 40.4 on the 1 350 watt panels.
I wonder if the connector on the 350W panel is incompatible with the 8x 320s?
Did you by chance remove the 350W from the 5S to make the 4S?

Did you measure the voltage of the new 4S string to verify all the connections are ok?

The 5 in series is likely over volting the input. The MaxPV Input is a HARD limit. What's the VoC on those panels?
Hey Rednecktek! Here is the label for the inverters. So I think the voc of 250 is good as I tried to use only 4 panels in series and that would only be 160. I do have another idea I will try when it stops raining. Im going to disconnect the PV wiring from the array that works and plug in to the array that isnt and see what happens.

Attachments

• 20240215_200739.jpg
    20240215_200739.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 4
I wonder if the connector on the 350W panel is incompatible with the 8x 320s?
Did you by chance remove the 350W from the 5S to make the 4S?

Did you measure the voltage of the new 4S string to verify all the connections are ok?
As the inverter label shows I can easily be within the rang with 4 panels I took off the 350Watt panel and tried only 4 in series as you suggested. Unfortunately no success. When it stops raining I am going to connect the PV wiring from the array that is working and attach it to those 4 panels and see what happens.

Attachments

• 20240215_200739.jpg
    20240215_200739.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 0
Well Rednecktek
Thanks so much for your response. Numb nuts here finally found I had one mc4 connector that was somehow damaged or never installed right. (they came with the mc4 connectors attached). So problem one resolved and both arrays are cranking away. I do have a couple other issues needing help with but need to set things up so I get the correct information before submitting another message.
Thanks Again Searching for solutions to problems is the best teacher of things!

Back