diy solar

diy solar

Solar array wiring and combiner box options

Get 4 of these double space Breakers in the 16 amp. Good for 1000vdc and breaks positive (+) and negative (-) wire

Then get an 8 space box to place on the side of your house or wherever

Last edited:
Thank you two again!
Here is the entirety of what the 2 manuals say about the pv connections. 685D284E-9C0B-4F18-871D-E456F985002E.jpegEC6D5509-DDDC-49AB-8264-0A1CC7CED417.jpeg

If I could do it like DIYrich says that would be amazing. Basically string of 9&7 to one inverter and 9&6 to the other. Then put a 30a circuit breaker on each string.
Would the circuit breakers be sufficient protection from lightning damaging the inverters?
Sorry for the never ending questions.
Each new revelation opens up a whole new world of befuddlement lol

Thank you two again!
Here is the entirety of what the 2 manuals say about the pv connections. View attachment 151637View attachment 151638

If I could do it like DIYrich says that would be amazing. Basically string of 9&7 to one inverter and 9&6 to the other. Then put a 30a circuit breaker on each string.
Would the circuit breakers be sufficient protection from lightning damaging the inverters?
Sorry for the never ending questions.
Each new revelation opens up a whole new world of befuddlement lol
I think 9 panels might be pushing it. For voc with an mppt input of 500v. May need to drop to 8

You don't need a 30 amp breaker on each sting. Each string will only produce a max of 11.44 amps worst case shorted (ISC). All you need is a 16 amp. See may post above for the DC beaker.

Series connections do not increase Amps , only volts

Parallel connections do not increase the volts, only amps.

Ok per your manual

Mppt dc voltage range is 90-450v. So 9 panels is too many in series IMHO. Little to no margin for voc

Inverter is 8000w of PV input
- so I assume that is 4000w max on each mppt. (but I'm not sure. Call seller)
- this is true on my growatt 12k AIO. It us 7000w in. 3500 on each mppt

Unless there is a way to address the 500v max problem with 9 panels, you are limited to a string of 8 with the panels you selected. Combiner won't work because the panels output about 11 amps max, and putting them in parallel would be 22amp, exceeding the 18 amps limit of the mppt.

One possibility is the two south facing roofs. If they are similar, then you can put one of the panels on the 9 panels roof with the other 6 panel roof, giving you a string of 8 and 7.

Thanks again y’all! I’m going to run one of the panels from the strings of 9 with the string of 6 and 7 so none of them will be above 8 panels in series.

Will run each string into the IMO DC Disconnect Rooftop Isolator Switchs that came with the kit and maybe do a emp shield for Lightning and other surges.
Any of you have any experience with these?

Back