diy solar

diy solar

Solar Assistant - how to set a static ip on the ethernet

nscottsdale

At my home i have two different subnets in operation because i source from business internet and cable modem internet, both offer dhcp and typically a device gets DHCP from one of the routers if plugged into the LAN . The Solar Assist Pi is having an ip address foreign to either subnet and i think this is why Home assistant cant find it (MQQT).

Is there a way to set a static ip address on Solar Assistant?

Are you running two DHCP servers on a single lan? Is one of the connections intended for failover or load balancing? Can you explain your network layout a bit better please?

Do you have seperate VLANs for each of those networks? You might consider tagging the port the SA is plugged into so that it goes only to one specific LAN. Then, within that LAN, you should be able to set that MAC address with a static IP.

*not a network engineer. I tinker with it alot. Take all this with caution.

Thanks...other devices on the lan I can set the static IP so they don't use the DHCP. That's my wired backbone. Security cams are onone subnet hard coded , other work stuff on another range.

Last edited:
Dunno if your HA is on a Windows box, but what I did for work with devices on two different lans with static IP address was to give it an additional static IP address.

1679022860729.png

Under the advanced button for your IP address for your windows network, you can add additional static IP addresses. I had a 10. network and a 192. network that one computer needed to talk to. I set a static IP address on each network for both networks. No DCHP was used as this was a very specific work network.

My Google/Nest Wifi can reserve/assign an IP to any MAC on the network.
T

ry looking at your router if it has a reserve feature.

Back