diy solar

diy solar

solar controller question

Albannach

Hello everyone,
I'm new to solar and trying to learn as I go along. I have searched for an answer to the following question with no luck so far, so I'm hoping that someone might be able to help.

I have a 30A solar controller and a 250W panel which I plan to install in an off grid shed I use for my motorbike. My idea is to use the controller as a trickle charger for my motorbike battery. I know I need to connect the battery to the controller first during the set up, however my question is: can I disconnect the cable to my battery when I'm not needing the charge without causing an issue with the solar controller?

I hope this all makes sense?!

Any help greatly recieved.
Steven

You need a switch or breaker between solar panel and charge controller. Turn panel off then disconnect from battery. Can your battery handle 12 or 15 amps? That's a lot of panel for a small battery.

Thanks Bubba, can you tell what sort of breaker I would need - are we taking about an in-line fuse?

You are right, it is a large pane. But I had it lying around and thought I’d use it instead of buying a smaller one.

The bike battery details are:
Battery TypeMBTX14AU
Voltage12
CCA210
Capacity (10HR)16.5Ah

Back