diy solar

diy solar

Solar Controller Size

Here is something to consider. What size of wires were initially installed from the roof to where the SCC is? That will determine the amps that can be brought down.
12awg - 20amps - probably two panels in parallel.
10awg - 30amps - probably three panels in parallel.

The other number is the volts on the SCC
Mppt 100/50 or
MPPT 150/45.

So you can probably get one or two more panels in series with a 150v vs a 100v.

The real problem with RV’s is roof space for panels and getting them to fit.

First select the panels that will fit your roof - then before them - select the Solar charge controller that best fits the panels and your goals.

Good Luck!

Here is something to consider. What size of wires were initially installed from the roof to where the SCC is? That will determine the amps that can be brought down.

Mppt 100/50 or
MPPT 150/45.

First select the panels that will fit your roof - then before them - select the Solar charge controller that best fits the panels and your goals.

Good Luck!
thank you ill look into this I think I went with 10 or 8 I can't remember tbh.

As sunshine said earlier, the Victron 100/30 has a 35A input spec so you would be fine in parallel.

Stick to the Victron...not Renogy.

Victron 100/30 smartsolar is a great unit, but be aware you cannot use the load output unless you have a digital output TX cable to signal a Victron Battery Protect.

If this doesn't concern you, it comes highly recommended by myself and others :)

Victron is the best probably but if you are looking at rentogy to save a few bucks? Don’t. Epever or maybe a MPPSolar or ampinvt all have less negative feedback than renorgy does.

But in real terms the victron aren’t but a few pizzas more expensive.

Victron is the best probably but if you are looking at rentogy to save a few bucks? Don’t. Epever or maybe a MPPSolar or ampinvt all have less negative feedback than renorgy does.

But in real terms the victron aren’t but a few pizzas more expensive.
okay thank you for that

Mppt 100/50 or
MPPT 150/45.

Good Luck!
I checked my solar wires and I in fact have 8awg wires. at the beginning I wanted to run 800 watts of solar but decided against it because of adding an ac and possibly a skylight to the van

Back