diy solar

diy solar

Solar Deck on a boat, viable, or completely not cost effective ?

St34mPunkPrivateer

Hi all, so I have a Privateer 26, if your not familiar with the boat design, here is a link to the sailing data sheet. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/privateer-26
She is going to be a challenge to find space for solar panels, and of course shading is going to be an issue with a Ketch rig on top of that. So let me throw out my thought process here. Throw a bunch of Solar panels onto her deck, as well as deployables when at anchor. Im looking at a 400 AH battery bank, but possibly larger ( still calculating all the electrical needs aboard). So I can probably get 2, 100 W solars that deploy off aft section, and probably another 100 w ontop of the dog house, with another 50 w on the forward hatch area, giving us 350w ( obviously less due to shade factors and other misc issues). These panels are for sure going to be put on the boat, but I was thinking about putting a flexible strip of them on the port and starboard decks midship . They would cover some of the deck, but with kiwi grip on either side of the strip on the main deck, the slipping factor should be negated to an acceptable amount, they push about 25w each, and there is room for 4 so that gets us to theoretical (450W), but I assuming worst case loss being 75 %, so 112 w. Thoughts on this ? This is my first time pitching the idea, I've been drawing up different possible locations for the panels. There is also a wind Gen involved, but I wanted to keep that out of the equation as they are normally for supplemental power and kind of suck for consistent power. Also, Im planning to be in the Pacific Northwest, so sunlight isn't as available. A gentle reminder, this is a preliminary post to kind of find a footing to start planning the shopping list for my boat's electrical upgrade. It by no means was fleshed out to a detailed point yet. Any constructive criticism is good, thanks!

Do you need power under sail? If so, Water power generators kick in at about 3 knots. Even a small 12v taffrail generator @ 6 knots outputs ~5 amps. That’s ~1.4 kWh a day (60 watts x 24 hours = 1,440 watts = 1.4 kWh).

But if you want power while on the hook solar panels with rail-mounts are great if you're in a sunny area (I don't like them on deck... the glass is slippery and the last thing you want to do is get cut up by one). The flexible ones are probably okay for that (not sure if they'll tolerate salt), but I hear they don't last long.

Svetz, yeah I already planned on using a water gen when underway, but, yeah being on the hook is more concerning, as northern latitudes, and deck space is minimal. I would be using the flex ones, and the durability on them is a mixed bag it seems, it really kind of luck of how long they will last, but that is pretty much anything when salt water and electrical are involved. Wind/water gens supplements are kind of needed to take up the slack due to weather I will have up there.

A few things,
If at all possible, put all your panels in parallel. All of the deployable shades (sails) and rigging almost guarantee shading issues.

You can try the flex panels but they are questionable in the best conditions. With the saltwater and possibility of it being stepped on I am afraid you will be disappointed.

Even minimal slip danger is a lot on a sailboat. When under sail it is enough to stay aware of what is happening to the rigging... also trying to worry about where you are stepping just adds to the problem.

Have you calculated your power needs? I've seen boats that get along fine on less than 350 Watts of panels. It all depends on the luxuries you want to power.

My sister has a NortherTug 26 and a while back I was teasing her that she should make some floats with panels that she can throw out while she is at anchor. I was joking.... but the idea intrigues me.

The floating panels could work, why not just mount them on the lifelines, and keep it safer, is my thought process. The overkill on the electrical system currently is not the luxuries as much the necessity for job items. Mostly the computer. Im currently trying to find the figures on how much an ultra wide monitor with drain. Otherwise, all I will have is LED lights , and small fridge. Nav lights, and chart plotter, with possibly radar ( not sure on this yet).

In DuPont we tested a lot of panel coated with some plastic produced by the company , among them some were textured and antislip.
Since we closed the lab, i do not know if they got some commercial result.
But i think you should be able to find some, since there is a real need for boat, somebody should have released something.
ideally , the sails should be your panel....

...why not just mount them on the lifelines...
That's what I meant by rail mounts. They can hook to tubing or cables between stanchions (with an angled foot so they don't flop down (no photo).
solara-power-m-ez-mount-folded.jpg
images
images

Last edited:
Back