diy solar

diy solar

Solar for Pool Equipment

fujiman8

I am not sure these other discussions are exactly what I am trying to accomplish. I want to run my pool off of solar panels but I would also like to keep the current powering mostly during winter nights when the temps drop below freezing and I want my pool equipment circulating. Is there an easy way to wire in solar as the primary source and the current power come in as backup?

I've used a transfer switch similar to this to do that. In my case I set up a timer to switch on the inverter at specific times which in turn flipped the transfer switch. I had to wire the inputs in reverse to get the desired switching priority (inverter to grid input and grid to gen input).

I am not sure these other discussions are exactly what I am trying to accomplish. I want to run my pool off of solar panels but I would also like to keep the current powering mostly during winter nights when the temps drop below freezing and I want my pool equipment circulating. Is there an easy way to wire in solar as the primary source and the current power come in as backup?
What sort of solar PV system do you currently have?

Growatt pump inverter may be the plug and play solution for this. My pump is 120 so I can't use it, but I believe it can do batteryless solar with seamless grid backup.

This is my set-up.

Attachments

• POOL TIMER.jpg
    POOL TIMER.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 15
  • POOL TIMER RELAY.jpg
    POOL TIMER RELAY.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 15
  • SCHEMATIC1 _ POOL MOTOR.jpg
    SCHEMATIC1 _ POOL MOTOR.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 16
Growatt pump inverter may be the plug and play solution for this. My pump is 120 so I can't use it, but I believe it can do batteryless solar with seamless grid backup.
I've been evaluating this also

Growatt 2.2kW 3HP Solar Pump Inverter l Water Pump Inverter | Grid-Assisted | SPI 2200TL2-HV​

I don't have any PV system yet. PV was not really cost effective until recently because I am seeing a 50% in my energy cost.
Simplest would be to install a grid-tied solar PV system for the home and run the pumps when you like. During the day solar PV will cover the energy demand while the grid will power things when solar PV is unable to (e.g. at night).

I am also looking at the Growatt SPI 750-4000TL2-HV Solar Pump Inverter running a Pentair capacitor start pool pump. I have a array close to the pool pump but was concerned about the starting current. When this pump fails I'll upgrade it to a variable. Looking at the specs it seems like it would work. Pool pumps stay on for 8+ hours so can it handle the duty cycle. Trigger it via relay off the time clock.

I didn't see any reviews or info on the Growatt SPI 750-4000TL2-HV Solar Pump Inverter so I had to try it out. I didn't think it was possible to ramp up/down the RPM of a single phase/speed Pool pump. Worked like a champ on both the Utility 240V or the solar array. I found it would go into overload at PV 430Vdc so I kept it under 400V. I have it on 3K of panels right now due to clouds. This is my first Growatt and the one thing I really like about it is NO FANS. 1HP pool pump running around 1410W peek. After playing with it I am thinking I would do better to put the panels on my main MPPT and run the 240Vac side off the inverter. The soft start takes +10s to ramp up so start surge is a thing of the past. Next I'll try the Schneider Soft Start.

Attachments

• Cement Pond.jpg
    Cement Pond.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Soft_Start_Hz.jpg
    Soft_Start_Hz.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 8
I didn't see any reviews or info on the Growatt SPI 750-4000TL2-HV Solar Pump Inverter so I had to try it out. I didn't think it was possible to ramp up/down the RPM of a single phase/speed Pool pump. Worked like a champ on both the Utility 240V or the solar array. I found it would go into overload at PV 430Vdc so I kept it under 400V. I have it on 3K of panels right now due to clouds. This is my first Growatt and the one thing I really like about it is NO FANS. 1HP pool pump running around 1410W peek. After playing with it I am thinking I would do better to put the panels on my main MPPT and run the 240Vac side off the inverter. The soft start takes +10s to ramp up so start surge is a thing of the past. Next I'll try the Schneider Soft Start.
Thank you! This is the first report I have heard and wow it acts like a single phase variable frequency drive? That's amazing.

Thank you! This is the first report I have heard and wow it acts like a single phase variable frequency drive? That's amazing.
It is totally acting like a VFD depending upon how much solar is available. I see the Output voltage and frequency go up/down but the pump still keeps spinning. Pump isn't getting warm or any other side effects I can see. I wish it had a hybrid mode where it would pull from the grid when solar wasn't enough but it is a hard switch one or the other, no mixing that I can see. Programming it from the keypad was tedious and still playing with the settings. I have a remote relay connected to the "water tank filled" to have it turn on at 9:30am and off at 5pm otherwise it will try to run the pump at just a few RPM's. There is a PV voltage threshold you can set for Grid/PV. So far out of the box and one afternoon the water is flowing.

I have had it hooked up for a few weeks now and have no complaints about the VSD and the pump spinning up, slowing down, heat, alarms or any pump related issues.

HOWEVER, my salt water chlorinator doesn't like it at all. I get low salt & low flow alarms. I can see if you used this pump inverter to fill a water tank or irrigation pond it would be great. Or a pool that you manually add the chlorine too. I really like my salt water pool and chlorinator.

Afternoon clouds and rain will keep it from running at a constant speed.

I was thinking of using a contactor on the PV input and running the pool pump & chlorinator on grid for part of the day and than switch over to PV for Pump only. I am over paneled so usually by 1pm my batteries are charged up. Other choice is to get a 240 V inverter just for the pump +chlorinator and use the Growatt SPI 750-4000TL2-HV as a soft stater.

Back