diy solar

diy solar

Solar Generator Versatility

Surf Fisher

First post here, and I appreciate any feedback offered from the forum. I plan to buy a self-contained solar generator unit soon, to use for camping and in future vanlife, and have watched many of Will’s videos on the subject. When I buy something, I like to buy with an eye for versatility, i.e. be able to have many uses for the item. With that in mind, I’m researching whether or not I could run a low thrust (12V and 48-55#) electric trolling motor with a solar generator. One impediment to this is that the smaller units only have low current 12V outlets, 10-12 amps. Consequently I am considering two options. First, the Bluetti AC200Max has a 30 amp, 12V outlet. I couldn’t run a trolling motor very fast with 30 amps, but it would probably have a long run time with a 2000Wh battery. A second option would be to use one of the 120V outlets and plug in an AC to DC converter that produces 10-50 amps of 12V DC. There’s one on Amazon for $53 by IMAYCC that seems to have lots of built in protections. I’m trying to calculate how much run time I might have with this, with current draw of 25-50 amps, but mostly on the lower draw side. Obviously the Bluetti unit would have to be protected from salt spray, but I think I could fabricate a waterproof container. Am I missing anything here, would either of these two options work, and does anyone have other ideas? I just hate to buy a 100Ah marine battery just to power the trolling motor. Thanks for the feedback.

Back