diy solar

diy solar

Solar Memories

TC McClure

I was reminiscing about my solar journey that started when we built an off-grid house in 1985. We purchased 12 Arco M55 panels for around $400 each. I received an email yesterday offering remanufactured 410 watt panels for $185. It's amazing how much power you can produce for 46cents per watt. Candidly, I don't understand half of your discussions as the technology of the industry has moved well past my experience. But, I think all of us who are off-grid still experience the same awe and satisfaction when the sun is magically producing the power that we use. Carry on!

that first watt hour, the first kilowatt hour, foraging energy from the sky is a fun game :)

good luck have fun!

This is what my stuff looked like in the beginning at the old house.

panelsbluff-1024x576.jpg

If you noticed in the above pic there are screw drivers at the base of each panel. Well that and some just had tree stumps as holders. That looks like its on flat ground but its actually a bluff right behind the house so the panels are almost vertical.

The small panel in the middle worked with one of these to charge my cars and trucks :

sansonic-duo-controller.jpg

Later on I added the 4 panels in the pic to create a 24 volt system and it all grew from there.

I actually miss how much fun I had when it all started out back then. It was all new and fun wiring it all up and seeing it work for the first time.

It was also cool when the power bill went down to the minimum you have to pay just to stay connected to them which was twenty something a month.

View attachment 170310

If you noticed in the above pic there are screw drivers at the base of each panel. Well that and some just had tree stumps as holders. That looks like its on flat ground but its actually a bluff right behind the house so the panels are almost vertical.

The small panel in the middle worked with one of these to charge my cars and trucks :

View attachment 170311

Later on I added the 4 panels in the pic to create a 24 volt system and it all grew from there.

I actually miss how much fun I had when it all started out back then. It was all new and fun wiring it all up and seeing it work for the first time.

It was also cool when the power bill went down to the minimum you have to pay just to stay connected to them which was twenty something a month.
Between this post and previous I’ve come to the conclusion you take ground mount literally ?

But, I think all of us who are off-grid still experience the same awe and satisfaction when the sun is magically producing the power that we use.
As 'some guy on YT' (Will) once said: And I quote "Sunshine comes in over there...and 240 volts comes out here"
(I was hooked ever since).

View attachment 170310

View attachment 170311

Great picture Crowz. My original panels are still good. I use them for stand alone DC projects like pumping water, 24V swamp cooler, 12V fan to keep my Outback 80 cool, and remote battery charging when the tractor won't start. I might see if my original Heart inverter would still work and build a stand alone mini-split heating cooling system for the bedroom wing. Always fun!

I started off with a 50ah flooded deep cycle, 110w msw inverter and a 1.5w solar panel which did F.A.

It would get me through the week with a low voltage alarm almost constantly going, then I would take the battery back to my parents place to charge over the weekends :)

I still have the inverter, 20yrs later.

Back