diy solar

diy solar

Solar. 1 year in. Texas

OPTIMALSOLAR

1. If using an installer it was my experience the salespeople know virtually nothing about photovoltaic science. They are script trained to overcome objections like 1950's tinmen. Most of the training involves financing. I'll get to that. Best practice is to do enough research to design the project as every installer I spoke to way and I mean way oversold panel area. I had one that suggested 72 panels. 20-25 was clearly optimal for roi. Price per watt should end up between 2 and 2.50 a watt. I had some quotes as hi as 6. Sun power now makes nothing. Yet they claimed they made everything. No such company in the industry. Blue raven, another highly reviewed installer, like elevation standardized on enphase iq8 pluses(300 watt ability) tied to 400 watt panel for 4 bucks a watt. Horrible, at least in Texas. Design own or pay too much.

2. Financing. Avoid if possible. Second mortgage or refi a way better option if can't pay cash. Never finance thru installer. Why? Installers don't finance. Bankers do. No banker wants to loan for panels as they are unreclaimable thus unsecured. Hence, they ad dealer fee or some other name to get their money before installation to reduce their risk. Translation a 20k system becomes 26 to 28k financed, and then they buy down the rate which makes it worse for the customer if they ever have the cash to buy out. Looks better is worse. Buying down the rate is always bad for the customer. ALWAYS, and is standard industry practice. And those offers to write you a check if you go solar, while true they will, you are just borrowing more unsecured debt which translates to a 2500 check costing you 10k over term of loan. Don't fall for that.

3. Inversion. Enphase is the star of solar. That said, they have little control over how installers sell their micros. Installers seem uninterested in getting the most production for the least cost to you, hence the buy older technology micros at a discount from enphase in huge quantities(1q7plus/1q8 plus) to lower their cost and hope their customers are as ignorant of solar clipping(aka panel waste), as their salesforce is. Shading issue is way over sold. The main advantage Micros have vs. string inverters is uptime, not shade production maximization.

How to fix the clipping issue with Enphase? Make sure installer doesn't clip more than 10%. 0 is better. That means if 400 watt panels enphase iq7a or greater production. Do not use Iq7 iq7plus, iq7x with 400 watt panels. Same in the Iq8 series which I'd avoid as they cost considerably more than 7 series and only give you sunny, grid down, ability. Not an often needed function for the money.

4. Panels- If you go with any of the top 8 or so best panel producers you'll be fine with any of them. Maxim likely are best, but way over priced. Rec are as good or very near for way less. Silfab, Qcell, Canadian solar, are the best value. Panasonic and LG have stopped producing but if you can find they are both premium brands, like Rec. I went qcell.

How many is right amount? Every home sight is different but, ignore every solar advertisement no matter how hot the girl is, or how bald the guy is. Do not try to match production to capacity. Why? In Texas you get about 8-10cents less for what you send to electricity provider than what you pay electricity provider, no matter your electric provider. So during day, when sunny, you'll over produce and the production will go back to grid. You'll get a credit of X and then be charged xplus about 10cents per kw. In my case I get about 3 cents a kw and they charge 12 cents that night or not sunny day. Meaning 50-70% grid supplied reduction is optimal for return on investment. Above is a waste of money unless you want to contribute to your electricity provider and help the green movement, but a financial mistake.

Every installer, I had 6 of the highest reviewed come by, proposed electricity production based off a Google maps pic of my roof, and a tool they use. Every estimate was hi by 10 to 25 %. They all then calculated 30 yr savings by multiplying over estimated production by my cost per kw which assumes a kw for kw value for electricity I supply to grid. In reality over production gets between 20 and 40 % of retail price depending on plan and supplier. Plus they assume increasing cost of electricity in way bloated savings estimates.

5. Batteries-While purely on their own they may never be a good purchase as to savings, but they carry the function of uptime in light or dark that no panel solutions does. That came in handy last night when we were down for 6 hours. The ac kept us cool and TV's/computer ran as normal. Attached to a good duel hose ac unit( Whynter arc 14000 is my choice) they become pretty good as to investment as they can reduce and at times eliminate need for whole house hvac. Hvac is by far the the biggest electrical user in our home in Texas.

My project cost was about 33k. 12 kw panels, 15.2 kw solar generators, and my average electric bill has dropped from 390/mo to 90/mo and this was the hottest summer in 12 years. Brutal. No bill got close to 200. Next month will be about 40. I love solar. The industry that sells it? Not so much. Be careful out there. Utube has so much info. Guys like our hero Will(Even though he does look a bit like Pete Buttigieg, SORRY WILL) and another guy name Julian Todd-Borden were instrumental for me. Thanks Will.

Hope this helps those thinking about making the investment. I'm thrilled with mine, but had I gone Blue raven, or Sunpower, the 2 highest reviewed as of last year,(btw they are the same company Sun Power bought them a couple years ago), I'd be far less happy, and my Roi would take 10 years or more longer to break even.

Last edited:
1. If using an installer it was my experience the salespeople know virtually nothing about photovoltaic science. They are script trained to overcome objections like 1950's tinmen. Most of the training involves financing. I'll get to that. Best practice is to do enough research to design the project as every installer I spoke to way and I mean way oversold panel area. I had one that suggested 72 panels. 20-25 was clearly optimal for roi. Price per watt should end up between 2 and 2.50 a watt. I had some quotes as hi as 6. Sun power now makes nothing. Yet they claimed they made everything. No such company in the industry. Blue raven, another highly reviewed installer, like elevation standardized on enphase iq8 pluses(300 watt ability) tied to 400 watt panel for 4 bucks a watt. Horrible, at least in Texas. Design own or pay too much.

2. Financing. Avoid if possible. Second mortgage or refi a way better option if can't pay cash. Never finance thru installer. Why? Installers don't finance. Bankers do. No banker wants to loan for panels as they are unreclaimable thus unsecured. Hence, they ad dealer fee or some other name to get their money before installation to reduce their risk. Translation a 20k system becomes 26 to 28k financed, and then they buy down the rate which makes it worse for the customer if they ever have the cash to buy out. Looks better is worse. Buying down the rate is always bad for the customer. ALWAYS, and is standard industry practice. And those offers to write you a check if you go solar, while true they will, you are just borrowing more unsecured debt which translates to a 2500 check costing you 10k over term of loan. Don't fall for that.

3. Inversion. Enphase is the star of solar. That said, they have little control over how installers sell their micros. Installers seem uninterested in getting the most production for the least cost to you, hence the buy older technology micros at a discount from enphase in huge quantities(1q7plus/1q8 plus) to lower their cost and hope their customers are as ignorant of solar clipping(aka panel waste), as their salesforce is. Shading issue is way over sold. The main advantage Micros have vs. string inverters is uptime, not shade production maximization.

How to fix the clipping issue with Enphase? Make sure installer doesn't clip more than 10%. 0 is better. That means if 400 watt panels enphase iq7a or greater production. Do not use Iq7 iq7plus, iq7x with 400 watt panels. Same in the Iq8 series which I'd avoid as they cost considerably more than 7 series and only give you sunny, grid down, ability. Not an often needed function for the money.

4. Panels- If you go with any of the top 8 or so best panel producers you'll be fine with any of them. Maxim likely are best, but way over priced. Rec are as good or very near for way less. Silfab, Qcell, Canadian solar, are the best value. Panasonic and LG have stopped producing but if you can find they are both premium brands, like Rec. I went qcell.

How many is right amount? Every home sight is different but, ignore every solar advertisement no matter how hot the girl is, or how bald the guy is. Do not try to match production to capacity. Why? In Texas you get about 8-10cents less for what you send to electricity provider than what you pay electricity provider, no matter your electric provider. So during day, when sunny, you'll over produce and the production will go back to grid. You'll get a credit of X and then be charged xplus about 10cents per kw. In my case I get about 3 cents a kw and they charge 12 cents that night or not sunny day. Meaning 50-70% grid supplied reduction is optimal for return on investment. Above is a waste of money unless you want to contribute to your electricity provider and help the green movement, but a financial mistake.

Every installer, I had 6 of the highest reviewed come by, proposed electricity production based off a Google maps pic of my roof, and a tool they use. Every estimate was hi by 10 to 25 %. They all then calculated 30 yr savings by multiplying over estimated production by my cost per kw which assumes a kw for kw value for electricity I supply to grid. In reality over production gets between 20 and 40 % of retail price depending on plan and supplier. Plus they assume increasing cost of electricity in way bloated savings estimates.

5. Batteries-While purely on their own they may never be a good purchase as to savings,

Over time they will return the difference between what grid tie pays to what it cost for that Kwh back. That 8 to 10 cents along with the x plus you mention in #4 is what pays for the batteries. If it is 15 cents total difference and you spent $4,500 for a battery bank, it takes 30Mwh to fully pay for the battery. Some members are using that half that amount or more in one year for just air conditioning.
but they carry the function of uptime in light or dark that no panel solutions does. That came in handy last night when we were down for 6 hours. The ac kept us cool and TV's/computer ran as normal. Attached to a good duel hose ac unit( Whynter arc 14000 is my choice) they become pretty good as to investment as they can reduce and at times eliminate need for whole house hvac. Hvac is by far the the biggest electrical user in our home in Texas.

My project cost was about 33k. 12 kw panels, 15.2 kw solar generators, and my average electric bill has dropped from 390/mo to 90/mo and this was the hottest summer in 12 years. Brutal. No bill got close to 200. Next month will be about 40. I love solar. The industry that sells it? Not so much. Be careful out there. Utube has so much info. Guys like our hero Will(Even though he does look a bit like Pete Buttigieg, SORRY WILL) and another guy name Julian Todd-Borden were instrumental for me. Thanks Will.

Hope this helps those thinking about making the investment. I'm thrilled with mine, but had I gone Blue raven, or Sunpower, the 2 highest reviewed as of last year,(btw they are the same company Sun Power bought them a couple years ago), I'd be far less happy, and my Roi would take 10 years or more longer to break even.

The saving batteries provide directly is the price for electricity less the amount given for the excess electricity made for the electric company. About 10 cents/kwh. And that does not account for inefficiency of solar generators. Batteries/inverter cost to take some use off grid and supplement Hvac use about 10k for 6kw inversion/15kw batteries. Value of uptime protection not calculated.

We're in Austin. Wish I had known more before the G/F pulled the trigger on the system, but it's mainly worked out. She got talked into an Enphase system with older converters, a 5.4kw system, with 340watt panasonic panels. I think it overall cost somewhere between $12-15k before rebates. She got a discount towards the end, as they failed 5 inspections, and from panel delivery to certified system was 5 months I think the total she paid the install company was around $6.6k. We're finishing up our second year with the system. It's been providing about 50-75% of our overall usage with zero clipping(about 7.3Mw of 14.3Mw so far this year). We are also finishing our first year of ownership of a 2023 Ford Lighting. It uses about 25% of our overall use. We get austin energy credits @ $0.097/kW. We're planning moving to central america at some point, possibly off grid, so I wanted to know how to build a larger 48v system (we already have a couple small off-grid systems, of 1200 and 600 watts) So, we built a 3.6kW offgrid system with a 10kw battery backup just to charge the Lightning and power a mini-split AC in the garage. I think that will allow the enphase system to produce 75% of our house usage.

I think it's a little bit of a grey area to recoup the Off grid charger with IRA credits, but it seems to follow the spirit of the law. That would put the off-grid charge system at around $4k out of pocket(we might bump that system up to 20kw for around another $1400 out of pocket). We don't drive a lot though, as we both work from home, so it put's the payoff at about year five, but hey, it's free fuel for a 140kW home backup system in 5 years.

Not everyone can do it, but it would be interesting to see a movement start whittling away at the energy bill with off grid modules. The 600 watt system has 1.5kW in DIY battery backup and has an extension cord that runs into my home office and takes care of the 400+ watts I use during the workday.

Last edited:
Great informative post on home solar for sure.. In the large solar array business it steady for the foreseeable future. Batteries are becoming more and more a part of the large solar farm to help offset the low output at night helping to keep the power supplied constant.. as for texas heat. get ready for MORE and a bit hotter.. Climate models are show the new reality of climate change and it getting hotter in more places for longer.

5. Batteries-While purely on their own they may never be a good purchase as to savings, but they carry the function of uptime in light or dark that no panel solutions does. That came in handy last night when we were down for 6 hours. The ac kept us cool and TV's/computer ran as normal. Attached to a good duel hose ac unit( Whynter arc 14000 is my choice) they become pretty good as to investment as they can reduce and at times eliminate need for whole house hvac. Hvac is by far the the biggest electrical user in our home in Texas.

Do they now. . . Al Gore film later today.
This winter we had cold here in Iowa that was like any other winter as long as I can remember since my childhood over 50 years ago. It was -20°F for at least a week straight and sometimes several weeks back then and the same today. If it wasn't an El Nino this year and we had more snow, it would been colder much longer. We are in the middle of the 7 year cycle for rainfall, which is part of the 15 year cycle, which is part of the 30 year cycle.........

Over paneling for the micro inverters can make sense. With net metering, many (most?) utilities look at the AC output rating. And they put restrictions on how much you can generate off of that.

If the micro inverters are undersized, you typically will only get clipping a handful of days per month around noon for a very short period.

But your overall production throughout the month will be greater as you will be able to have more panels on your roof and stay under the restrictions placed on your system by the utility.

Also, smaller/older micros will be significantly cheaper than the latest higher output models.

Now, if you are off grid and not selling back, then yes, try to match the micros to the panel capability. Or as some would advise, use a string inverter, not micro converters.

Net metering in Texas? What I've seen from utility companies in Texas, packaged differently, but about a 10-13 cent gap between what utilities charge here vs what they give for over production. Over production is a waste financially and a boon for the utility. Isn't that most places?

I clip every sunny day. 400 watt panels matched with Iq7 plusses. Bad pairing. And not just around noon. 3 to 5 hours a day.

Had no town/utility restrictions sans string restrictions by Enphase.

Pure south so quick to peak, stay at peak, meaning more panels early and late in day would increase length of day, of course, but not a bunch, and I chose the best 20 spots on roof any more were shaded too often to be fully effective.

Every site is different and having mature trees both east and west side of site may impact more than most sites. Almost all my production is in a 4 to 6 hr window. Maybe if that weren't the case over paneling would make sense. Here. No.

Last edited:
Texan's buyback improvement. March 1 2024

There has been a major improvement in buybacks since last year. Last year I started with shell, they were retail pricing as to buyback, but quickly changed to wholesale. 7.7 cent buyback to wholesale, about 2. So I switched to Energy Texas, and 2 months in they did same same switch. I gave up.

Last week I get a letter from Green Mountain reporting they have bought Energy Texas. Can switch to any company at no cost to change, and again researched buy back programs and they have improved dramatically. A little tricky, insure they can't change buyback program during term is critical, but, gap between import cost and export credit has been reduced to about 5cents per kw vs 10 to 12 currently paying. Chariot and Green mountain seem to have the best plans in N. Texas. A little good solar news for Texans.

Back