diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel angle optimizers!

Electrobob

I used .5 inch PVC pipe to make simple support stands for my pv panels. I calculated the optimum angle for my latitude using one of the online calculators for that and just measured out the length of pipe needed to achieve the angle. My panels are not permanently mounted anywhere, I just put them out when I want to use them. I made the supports to equal the optimum summer angle and then made some extensions to use in the winter. In the winter I will just pop on the “snow shoes” and the angle is perfect again. ?

Attachments

• 3EDB8BB1-03E2-42F6-98C0-12BE3417EB65.jpeg
    3EDB8BB1-03E2-42F6-98C0-12BE3417EB65.jpeg
    569.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 72FE3C70-9D3F-4FF4-A500-E14F4AA7183A.jpeg
    72FE3C70-9D3F-4FF4-A500-E14F4AA7183A.jpeg
    530 KB · Views: 37
  • FF2D4B6D-0F8B-4848-9F15-45116C52DF6D.jpeg
    FF2D4B6D-0F8B-4848-9F15-45116C52DF6D.jpeg
    372.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 77E36835-A32E-41AF-A92B-B8133D7E0C02.jpeg
    77E36835-A32E-41AF-A92B-B8133D7E0C02.jpeg
    499.1 KB · Views: 36
I think I will just tack on to this thread instead of starting a new one - similar concept to this. I saw a video on YouTube on adding stands to my HQST 100 watt solar panels - I thought it was a pretty good idea (
) so I tried this but I did not like how far the 3/4 inch PVC stuck out from the back of the panel when folded. I reworked the design a bit and added some paracord ( 8' ) and a little slide lock to adjust the angle. I was going to add hinges and make them into suitcases as well but my panels did not match up, so they would have been a little unlevel and keeping them separate allows me to position them individually which I think will be more important than the convenience of moving/storing two at once

Solar Panel Stand in PVC.JPG

It now folds flush and by adjusting the the paracord I can adjust the angle for best capture. The biggest hassle was drilling/ filing out the 1/2" Tee fitting on the main support of the panel - I liked the idea of keeping the main support in the panel solid vs. cutting two separate pieces and fitting them into the tee. I mounted the support about 12" from the top - this is the HQST HSP100D-L with dimensions of 32.5 x26.4 x1.18

The piece that goes across the panel was 25 13/16" , the support was 17.25" and the 2 little legs at the bottom tee are 8" each

I also used some 3M Safety walk tape to the bottom edge of the panel and the bottom tee - this is awesome stuff ( although expensive at ~ $1 a foot ) - it should help to keep the frame from getting scratched up in use and provide better grip for both the panel and the support.
1679665753147.png

One roll should do all 4 of my HQST panels and the bifacial panel I am playing with. This tape is sort of rubbery but they also make one that is more like sandpaper so that might be better depending on your application.

Hope you found this interesting

Have not had any very gusty days - but I think you are asking will it tip over? I don't think it will but I could use a tent spike over the PVC if it was on grass, or a rock if it is on the driveway.

Are you asking if wind will pull on the paracord and change the angle - making it change the angle so that the panel is more flat ( facing up ) - the paracord seems to grab the hole well - I have put some pressure on the top of the panel and it did not seem to be able to pull the clip - the clip is spring loaded and has two holes - it holds the paracord securely.

Before this I usually had either a PVC stand I built similar to the first post or was just leaning the panel against the side of my house, or a wagon - not the most ideal

in the initial Youtube video there was no way to set the angle, and the stand could easily slip out from under the panel as there was nothing holding it - that is why I wanted to use the paracord to both set the angle and keep the stand from sliding out and having the panel hit the ground

I will report back how they hold up - they are not out all the time, just when I charge my EcoFlow units - and the PVC is shaded behind the panel.

Other than my time the cost of the the PVC was about $14 ( 2x 10'x 0.50" and 8 T's ) - the tape I bought was $15.

From a manufacturer of PVC... Heritage Plastics
The Consequences of Sunlight Exposure for PVC Pipe and Conduit

Research has been done to determine the effects of long-term (two year) sunlight exposure on PVC pipe (See “UNI-TR-5: The Effects of Ultraviolet Aging on PVC Pipe,” by the Uni-Bell PVC Pipe Association). Other than the visible discoloration, the following summarizes the result on pipe physical properties:

Physical PropertyPerformance CharacteristicEffect of Sunlight Exposure
Impact StrengthImpact ResistanceDecrease
Tensile StrengthPressure CapacityNo Effect
ModulusPipe StiffnessNo Effect

The research indicates that the sole performance characteristic adversely affected by sunlight exposure is impact resistance. Depending upon the type of pipe, additional care may be required during pipe handling and installation to avoid potential breakage. Once installed, however, there will be no effect on the pipe’s pressure capacity and external load capacity.

The degree to which impact strength is affected by sunlight depends upon a number of variables, including: time of exposure, climatic conditions, diameter of pipe, wall thickness of pipe, and type of PVC compound used. Because of the synergy of the variables, it is impossible to state how long it will take before the effects of sunlight exposure become noticeable. In general, pipes of smaller diameter and thinner wall will exhibit more effect from sunlight exposure than larger, thicker-walled pipe. The effect of sunlight exposure on thick- walled pressure pipes such as those made to AWWA C900 and C905 is almost unnoticeable, other than the surface discoloration.

Schedule 40 and Schedule 80 listed electrical conduit that has been tested for sunlight resistance according to UL651 requirements is approved for continuous outdoor exposed use.

Last edited:
PVC designs can often be adapted to EMT. There’s a lot of EMT fittings for crafting things like this. And EMT bending is pretty approachable.

Solar panels are sort of literally sails in the wind. They pick up a lot of “lift”. Maybe less important when they are just getting dragged along flat ground (vs for roof mounts of 50 lb modules), in terms of injuring someone. But there is still the risk of jerking the PV cables and causing hidden damage that bites you later.

What happens when you get a gust of wind? :unsure:?️
I once lost 4 40 lb panels that were only elevated about 8" on one side. They landed about 40 feet from where they started. I eventually decided (no witnesses) it must have been a 'dust devil' aka a tiny tornado. The mystery aspect of 'just what does it take to do this' added to my irritation. The thought of a helicopter passing too low overhead crossed my mind. That's how crazy it initially seemed.. So yes, wind is certainly a thing. :ROFLMAO:

So yes, wind is certainly a thing.
I think underestimating what a gust or casual amount of wind can do is probably a thing too. I'm wary of using things that are not (1) solidly overbuilt in the field (2) has had some engineering vetting (EG off the shelf racking)... unless the panels are so small that nobody will cry if (a) they break (b) they hit someone on the head.

PVC piping is very soft and will in a matter of days in sunlight and load bend and warp, not the material to support solar panels.
Pvc gets noodley real fast in the summer. Solar panels get real hot. i would be very concerned about them falling. You might be able to make legs out of pvc, and connect it to metal Fittings at the panel. I run screws through the side of my panels to brackets to hold them, and anchor the brackets down for wind.

My boss already figured out the best angle for our location and I am also building a PVC Pipe stand for our 8 solar panels. I am not particularly fond of single panel mounts, but the boss thinks we can link them together easy and just use the existing cement blocks to anchor them down once the student figures out the best location for when he is doing his student thing. I will probably scour this thread a bit more later, but right now I am watching Cinderella play Creighton....it's madness!

I think underestimating what a gust or casual amount of wind can do is probably a thing too. I'm wary of using things that are not (1) solidly overbuilt in the field (2) has had some engineering vetting (EG off the shelf racking)... unless the panels are so small that nobody will cry if (a) they break (b) they hit someone on the head.
Sadly has happened...

Back