diy solar

diy solar

solar panel orientation

doox00

Does it matter if you mount your panels horizontal over vertically, is there an effect on their efficiency?

Best angle for these days (winter solstice) is latitude plus 15 deg. So for me that's 45 + 15 = 60 deg up from horizontal.

Best angle for these days (winter solstice) is latitude plus 15 deg. So for me that's 45 + 15 = 60 deg up from horizontal.

I thought he meant like landscape vs. portrait :cautious: who knows?!

Stick them at a 37.5 degree rotation.

When you get asked why, tell them it is to capture the sun's rays better in the winter, counteracting the rotation of the earth, just to mess with people's minds.

Or I guess you might get looked at like you're a little cooked.

Oops!
I don't know about efficiency but I think the wind is less likely to catch them in horizontal because they're not sticking up as high.

If shading is a factor, orientation matters.

A portrait oriented panel can have 100% of its output cut off if ONE entire ROW of cells is shaded. If columns are shaded, panel output will be cut by 1/3 when a single column of cells is shaded. Once the entire 1/3 of the panel is shaded, the next full column of cells shaded will take out the next 1/3, etc.

In landscape, the behavior is the same except swap rows and columns.

In other words:

If you have shading across your panels, if it comes in from the side, portrait will result in more production.

If you have shading that creeps in from the top or the bottom of the array, landscape is best.

Here's an example:

1703181011607.png

Most important take-away in all this babble?

Shade destroys PV performance.

Get a chainsaw and eliminate the shading. :)

In other words, the sun is lower (closer to the horizon) in winter than summer.
And this increases the further you are from the equator.
Edit: in the summer it's latitude Minus 15 deg. So, for me 45 - 15 = 30deg, so closer to horizontal since the sun is higher.
And in the spring and fall it's just latitude with no correction.

Last edited:
Seems to be different ways to calculate.

Here are a few examples:

The tilt calculator will find the best angle overall for max production.

This could be a little different if you need more power in one season, say summer for air conditioner and don't use the place in the winter or vice versa. The one calculator in my signature block is one that will give a monthly graph and you can ajust angles to see how that effects production for the month.
If you have shading that creeps in from the top or the bottom of the array, landscape is best.

Here's an example:

1703181011607.png
I wonder why more installations don't have landscape orientation since most shading I see creeps from bottom to top. Might have something to do with more holes in the roof or longer mounting rails.

We're going way off topic here.... the OP was asking about portrait vs. landscape

Unless the trees are on the neighbor's land. Then you need to be tactful.
The worst tree problems I see are the ones from the HOA. A south facing roof at the adage of the HOA with Palm trees that have grown 40’ high over the years since the installation. I wonder what the winter production is on those.

I use PVWatts - https://pvwatts.nrel.gov/pvwatts.php - and play with azimuth and angle to see the affect on PV output. It's *significant* thru a year to me.

As an example, I have excess in spring/summer but woefully lacking in Dec, so I'm planning to mount 2.4kw vertically on a fence but I could do 85deg vs 90deg for example. So I use pvwatts to see 85deg vs 90deg.

As another example, I'm full of panels (south roof and yard array) but have a west facing roof still available and it was startling to see how dismal the production would be in Dec for the effort/$ - better to do 90deg on the south facing fence above.

If you have shading across your panels, if it comes in from the side, portrait will result in more production.

Here's an example:

View attachment 184340

:)
This is why my panels are landscape, in winter, there is shading on the top row, and I only lose a little bit of power instead of the entire row.

Why should the best angle be latitude plus 15 deg? wanna know more about this...

According to this guy, it's closer to 20°, and I tend to agree with him.

Unless the trees are on the neighbor's land. Then you need to be tactful stealthy.

Fixed. :)

I wonder why more installations don't have landscape orientation since most shading I see creeps from bottom to top. Might have something to do with more holes in the roof or longer mounting rails.

This is why my panels are landscape, in winter, there is shading on the top row, and I only lose a little bit of power instead of the entire row.

Same except mine is on the bottom. Panels are mounted on a shipping container, and I get some early morning treetop shading across the bottom landscape row of cells. The "trees" here are junipers and pinon pines - more like 10-20' tall large bushes.

1703260806871.png

Yesterday was winter solstice, and any shading didn't seem to make much difference... :)

1703260634138.png

2970W (2475W, 83% peak observed)
29° tilt
15.4kWh harvested
5.2 hours insolation

Back