diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel output

bikerider4818

I have 10 X 400w (front side only) Jinko bifacial solar panels from Santan Solar. I tested each panel when I received them and they seemed okay. I'm assuming they should have a potential of 4000-5000 watts in perfect conditions, but I've never seen them produce more than about 2500w at anyone time during last summer. I have them set facing mostly south at about 29 degrees which is the optimal year round angle for my area. Today is a very gray cloudy day and they are only producing 500-700w total at noon time. Is this normal? My readings are from my 6000xp inverter.
Second question... Is there a more optimal wiring configuration I should be using? I have them setup in series with two separate arrays (5 panels each) with two seperate lines going to my inverter since it has two mppt inputs. Would it make any difference to have the two arrays joined in parallel with only one line going to the inverter (assuming the amps and volts don't exceed the mppt specs)?
Just trying to figure out why they don't seem to produce as much power as I thought they would.

It depends on how you have it setup.

In order for us to help you, you would need to tell us all of the information on the back of your solar panels as well as what the input specifications are on your inverter.

Vmp, Isc, Voc etc for solar panels and voltage range and amperage limit of the inverter.

It looks like according to calculations each string of 5 should be making at least 2200W on average.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240218-003856.png
    Screenshot_20240218-003856.png
    212.1 KB · Views: 3
12-17% on a cloudy day is typical.

I get about 4% on a rainy day.

Maybe 75-95% on a clear sunny day with panels positioned optimally, although only for short periods during bulk phase.

I never ever get 100% or more than 100% output :)

The front side of the panels are doing most of the work. The 400 watt rating is at STC (Standard Test Conditions are 1,000 watts of light on every square meter of the panel while the panel is at 25 degrees C (78 F)

In the real world, we rarely will ever see that. Today, we had some clouds moving by, so my maximum power only hit about 68% of rated power. On very good days, I will get to about 80%. And on rare very sunny but col days, with some light wind to cool the panels, they get near 90% of STC rated power. My 300 watt panels never topped 205 watts today.

On a cloudy day, they will do much worse still. Just a few days ago, I saw the output drop under 10% of STC power just after noon as clouds rolled in.

And don't forget, the panels only make ther maximum power when the sun is directly over them. The power output goes in a "Bell Curve" as it ramps up n the morning, rounds over the top as it passes solar noon, and then ramps back down to zero again.

As for the "Bifacial gain"... You will only really get over the front panel rating if there is a surface the can reflect a lot of light onto the back side of the panels. One place they work is on an elevated ground mount where the sun can reflect off the ground and hit the back side. Snow on the ground can really make that work. My main panels are just mounted 8 inches above my dark shingled roof. There is no light reflect up under the panels.

Back