diy solar

diy solar

Solar panels configuration

Stick with six panels as a meaningful start! Have always two connected in series, they then usually called strings. So you'll have three strings of two panels in series each. For best performance, you can orient one string facing dead south, one string facing more towards east and one more towards west. That way you flatten your mid-day peak and earn more in the mornings and evenings. It's also easier on your batteries and inverter as the peak charging current is slightly less.

Not bad advice, but know that when you split an array up like this, your peak harvest will be decreased vs. a single array optimally positioned.

Having multiple arrays opportunistically positioned is most effective when your total solar is greater than your SCC can handle, but orientation ensures they do not exceed the total.

Example.

3X 2S3P arrays (2640W each)...

1 in a ESE orientation
1 in an optimal Southern orientation
1 in a WSW orientation

One can simulate each array individually using link #6 in my signature. You can download hourly data and then combine them.

Not bad advice, but know that when you split an array up like this, your peak harvest will be decreased vs. a single array optimally positioned.

Having multiple arrays opportunistically positioned is most effective when your total solar is greater than your SCC can handle, but orientation ensures they do not exceed the total.

Example.

1 in a ESE orientation
1 in a WSW orientation

One can simulate each array individually using link #6 in my signature. You can download hourly data and then combine them.
Tomorrow I would have 4 so for the moment how it would be the best configuration for this four I have it on the roof and I they would be two oriented for the south and two oriented for the north

4 48Voc panels in Series would more than likely blow up your MPPT SCC.
192Voc
That’s why I’m so confused because in the store they told me one thing but when I read and try to inform my self I see a totally different thing. Tomorrow I would have 4 panels what would be the best configuration.

Stick with six panels as a meaningful start! Have always two connected in series, they then usually called strings. So you'll have three strings of two panels in series each. For best performance, you can orient one string facing dead south, one string facing more towards east and one more towards west. That way you flatten your mid-day peak and earn more in the mornings and evenings. It's also easier on your batteries and inverter as the peak charging current is slightly less.
I would have 4 panels tomorrow what would be the best configuration for this 4

Example.

1 in a ESE orientation
1 in a WSW orientation

Something like this for the 4 solar panels array

Attachments

• BFF8774D-E548-4359-9F05-C598A0C70506.jpeg
    BFF8774D-E548-4359-9F05-C598A0C70506.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 0
Something like this for the 4 panels array

Attachments

• D4104B05-2D56-49CA-917C-CBC52D655A8F.jpeg
    D4104B05-2D56-49CA-917C-CBC52D655A8F.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1
Something like this for the 4 panels array
Yes, exactly like this if you have two strings. You mentioned however to have one string facing south, the other north - if you have only a restricted roof, then that might be OK, but for maximum energy harvest go with both strings facing south (as snoobler suggested). If you want to save on battery life, i.e. using more solar energy in the evenings instead of charging your battery at noon and consume already starting at 4pm (because you have e.g. an A/C to run), tilt your second string facing west/southwest (WSW).

Back