diy solar

diy solar

Solar pool pump Cable advice.

HFX

Hi all,
i have been reading and trying to absorb as much information as possible as possible ass next year we wish to start building out 1st home solar setup. In the mean time we as we just moved home we are going to set up the pool with this pump ( as the current ac pump was found top be dead when we moved in )
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B4WFMP8K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
and 4 Trinasolar 340 watt panels, they will be approximately 80-90 ft away from the existing pool pump house. i feel foolish as the information is probably there and i have missed it, but is there a specific gauge of cable i should use, and parallel or series ?
thank you for reading and i appreciate any advice.

Wow those have gotten cheaper since I looked at them. There is a lack of specific information for the max VOC that MPPT can accept.

It's hard to tell if it's designed for 60 cell or 72 cell panels in series. With 4 panels you would surely be in a series-parallel configuration.

I almost want to say that if this is your first time operating a pool you should just get a variable speed AC pump and focus on learning the water management first without all this power uncertainty in the way. But that's not a very fun opinion to add.

Buy a k-2006 test kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: HFX
Wow those have gotten cheaper since I looked at them. There is a lack of specific information for the max VOC that MPPT can accept.

It's hard to tell if it's designed for 60 cell or 72 cell panels in series. With 4 panels you would surely be in a series-parallel configuration.

I almost want to say that if this is your first time operating a pool you should just get a variable speed AC pump and focus on learning the water management first without all this power uncertainty in the way. But that's not a very fun opinion to add.

Buy a k-2006 test kit.
Yeah apparently so, i have seen a few people mentioned these specific pumps over the time i have been browsing, and often using less panels than i planned on using ( which i can get for $125 each )
the series-parallel thing confuses me so more reading there. and obviously my initial question was about cable gauge. so still need to figure that out. We did have a solar pool pump in our old house and a above ground 24ft pool which worked really well.
The AC pump here is shot, but all the plumbing is good so thats why we figured we would go this route instead of the AC pump, which i THINK worked out way way more expensive.
appreciate the opinion, i am happy to take all info on board. :)

If the panels are 9 amps max current and they're in series parallel I think you could use 12 or 10 AWG.

According to this calculator at 72v and 90 feet you would get 8% voltage drop (and corresponding power losses) on 12 awg, and 5% on 10 awg.

Series parallel wiring panels is simple enough in concept, but I've never done it so I don't know the specifics. I think you're supposed to use circuit breakers. Hopefully someone else can comment.

Reactions: HFX
Back