diy solar

diy solar

Solar Power

1. Does the sun shine where you live.
2. Does the sun shine a lot, where you live.
3. Does the sun shine most days, where you live.

Do you have access to cheap grid power?
Do you want to save money?
Do you want to save the planet?
Is this just virtue signalling?

Last edited:
What a fantastic thread to stumble upon! Solar power truly is a game-changer, isn't it? It's like catching rays of opportunity straight from the sky! I couldn't agree more with the sentiment about DIY solar being empowering. It's like harnessing the sun's energy and turning it into your very own superpower! Speaking of which, have any of you had experiences with solar companies? I've heard mixed reviews, but I believe with the right research and a dash of luck, finding a reputable one can make all the difference. Let's keep the conversation going and share our insights—it's like planting seeds of knowledge and watching them grow into bright ideas!

Last edited:
Do you have the space to mount solar panels, and enough space to meet your needs/desires based on some of the answers to other questions? And don't forget orientation (angle, direction based on latitude).

What are some key factors to consider when implementing solar power systems for residential use?
California? Read the NEM 3.0 (Net Energy Metering) requirements. With the new state law there is not as much return on investment, the system gets 75% less payout vs NEM 2.0.

Realistically you're looking at at least $30-40k for a pro install in LA. Maybe half that for diy. On the plus side, there is the 30% federal rebate. 5-10 year break even with diy. Diy in CA and LA is exceedingly challenging in terms of learning the "rules" and then implementing them correctly. Attempting to do it without permits is unlikely to be viable in LA although it may be possible to do less work with an off grid system.

Back