diy solar

diy solar

Solar powered altcoin mining system sizing

Paul standen

okay so as the thread title says the aim is for me to create a free power supply that i can use to run some asic miners. One to start with and slowly build it up.

I'm looking and its very easy to pick up a 800w kit now for a decent amount but the main issue i have here is how do i store the power correctly to ensure as little downtime as possible ie from a few dull days ect.

I've not bought anything yet and was hoping someone knowledgable could help me put together the cheapest possible solution?

I seen a post today about a guy doing just this but he has a mains backup. My aim is to keep this independant so i need enough power production and storage to keep something running at around 350w at 230v. If i could power much more this would be even better but i am aware this is quite alot.os.energy usage.

I'm assuming i should be aiming for.at least a 24v system, mppt charger and some kind of energy storage solution. Im aiming to have the power run inside through a wall to where i will be running the mining equipment.

This is a long haul plan i want to try and build it up piece by piece whilst i save for the asic miner. So maybe i can save money not buying a kit ect

apologies for the typos or dots instead of spaces btw i had to disable.predictive text on my phone as it.didnt agree with an app i use often

800W * 24h = 19.2kWh - about 3.5 times more than my neighbor uses in his 3200 sqft home (he's miserly).

That means you'll need nearly 5000W of solar

You also need 24kWh battery for ONE DAY of operation.

You should be able to buy everything you need for about $8000.

19.2kWh/day would probably run you about $1.90/day assuming $0.10/kWh. You'd break even in about 4000 days.

See the Energy Audit link in my signature. Download the spreadsheet and play around with it with various scenarios.

Not solar related but just a general observation about coin mining.

It's a fools game.

The amount of computing power you have to throw at mining these days makes it difficult if not impossible, at least in my observation, to make any money. The only people making money are the people selling the mining hardware, including nVidia. It was practical before. If you want to see how quickly the field is moving, take a look at the hash rate 2nd hand hardware can do vs what is required to actually make money today.

If you have a constant 350W draw it's pretty easy to work out the requirements for the battery, it's simply 350W x number of 'dark' hours x number of days with poor solar production. Let's say you are in significant solar deficit for 15 hours / day. 15 x 350W = about 5.5kWh, at 24V that's about 229Ah full discharge which isn't a good idea so double that, about 460Ah... for one night.

So id be struggling to get this done tbf, the idea is being taken up around the globe using renewables shame the pricing of batteries is so high and panels to creat so much solar i would imagine would take up quite a bit of room. This guy had 400w of solar on his shed roof so he must be accessing quite a bit of the main grid power still.
Perhaps out of the box thinking. Is there a way to use the solar energy to perhaps do somwthing that could release energy later.
By this for example there is a place where they use solar power to supply the town during the day and to power a pump for water into the top resrvoir of a dam and then at night it drains back to the lower lake via turbines.
Im not on about mounting a tank of water on the roof or trying to make an eyesore ect but perhaps there is a low.energy action that can release more energy down the line as exampled above ?‍♂️

Screenshot_20200808-044116_Chrome.jpg
? errrrmm maybe i should approach a bank with a buisness plan. I could fit a row of panels stood long ways up on a frame at the end of the garden without issues, complaints maybe but not issues ?

So id be struggling to get this done tbf, the idea is being taken up around the globe using renewables shame the pricing of batteries is so high and panels to creat so much solar i would imagine would take up quite a bit of room. This guy had 400w of solar on his shed roof so he must be accessing quite a bit of the main grid power still.
Perhaps out of the box thinking. Is there a way to use the solar energy to perhaps do somwthing that could release energy later.
By this for example there is a place where they use solar power to supply the town during the day and to power a pump for water into the top resrvoir of a dam and then at night it drains back to the lower lake via turbines.
Im not on about mounting a tank of water on the roof or trying to make an eyesore ect but perhaps there is a low.energy action that can release more energy down the line as exampled above ?‍♂️

Yep.

You could buy 1000W of solar panels and a 1000W grid tie inverter and power your stuff during peak solar hours and pay for about 1/4 of your 800W use. Would NOT work when grid is down. About $600-700 per 1000W. You would be "banking" your power with the grid, or powering other parts of your home with the solar power you produce.

- he did a follow-up about a year later. One failed due to apparent moisture intrusion.

Last edited:
Yes that place is called California.
Actually I have heard they are doing the same thing in Germany. Instead of lakes they are using old abandoned coal mines.

Im not sure if the uk law allows you to prepare your own solar grid tie system, i would have to check that as i know the price they are asking is around £5000 as a starting price for systems round here.
I have the teardrop caravan still with a 12v leisure battery being charged by a 310w panel on the roof and a victron mppt charger. Still going strong although the caravan i didnt make watertight enough on the front so the metal skin has peeled away from some wood that has started to go damp. Seems a waste maybe i should demolish the teardrop and use the 310w system as a starting point? The solar panels are about £100 each delivered. Think current exchange rate is $10 is about £7.60
It seems other than solar panels in the uk we pay more for solar equipment thats standardised to our 230v.
I was looking into making my own life p04 battery but that seems very pricey indeed. Cheaper but still not cheap enough. I probably have about £80 a month i could invest into building something up so seeing i need a 5k system kind of makes me sad ?

If anyone happens to be reading this and has any ideas for making a cheap powerful battery bank?? Id need enough so that maybe on a good day i get a few night time hours run on.

I would have to trial and error it. Even if it only gave me 6 hours mining each day without being attached to the grid thats a steady stream of revenue that can then be liquidated at the right times to take more profit ie hodl and withdraw when the crypto market has a mini surge and is 10% up ect.

My pc only needs a graphics card to mine but that wont make that much but would possibly run for longer meaning i could use this as a start and build from there.

Ive seen people in the local computer store purchasing £4000 worth of graphics cards about 4 years ago, i often wonder where they are now and if it was a good call. Think they was nvidia gtx 1090ti's (very edpensive cards) im sure they only bought like 10 graphics cards and paid that much!!!

I offset energy costs with my solar installation. If you want to speculate on crypto currency that is a discussion for another place.

I was just saying if i was to do it i would try and sell my mining revenue at a good time to make it a bit more lucrative. What setup do you have power wise and mining wise? And how do you find it works for you? I guess also just as important would be where abouts in the world you are located as if your uk or similar weather that i could use to give me a better idea. If your in the nevada desert that is obviously going to be a different result to me by far i would imagine ?

My cynicism about crypto currency is a direct result of being married to a woman who put money into a crytocurrency multi level market scheme that some day is going to make her very rich. Meanwhile, with my disposable income, I just upgraded the system in my signature. I live in the wine country of California which has very favorable Net Energy Metering rules and I have been driving EVs for almost ten years. They have been virtually maintenance free. YMMV.

What does ymmv mean? And yes i also made that mistake with the mlm schemes i joined one called usi tech, long gone. Someone has since bought the domain and tried to replicate the scam

Ok so just spotted this. If i can get a house i can get free solar setup ?? deposit for a house is about the same as the solar systems i'm seeing to provide enough juice. At least then its all going to be ample supply hopefully, back to saving there i guess again ?

What does ymmv mean? .....
ymmv= Your Mileage May Vary. It is a common disclaimer used on USA auto advertisments to basically say unless you drive exactly like the tester did who got the miles per gallon advertised your mileage may vary. It has become a colloquialism. I meant you may have better luck with crypto currency than my wife has had but she still believes in me so I am not rocking the boat. ;)

Hahahaha, that reminds me i almost bought a boat when i got some inheritance the other year ? i wonder how much a teardrop caravan thats almost finished but has now got water damaged in places is worth? ?

Mining makes sense as a dump load if you can get a cheap used s9 miner or s15 miner. When the day is peaked and instead of wasting that power, a contactor can engage from your charge controller, kicking on the miner that makes more money than selling that power back to the grid.

Consider mining only during peak sun hours as a dump load. If your in a cold climate you can pipe the heat into your home.

Have fun!

I was thinking of this as more of a stand alone run as long as possible kind of setup but if i can get solar panels installed with a grant that would then be the plan i guess. With a 5k to 10k voucher that should be enough to get a really decent system up there

if i can get solar panels installed with a grant that would then be the plan i guess. With a 5k to 10k voucher that should be enough to get a really decent system up there
Hope springs eternal. I just look forward to the next day of sunshine to charge my EVs.

Back