diy solar

diy solar

Solar production not crossing the half mark

Ryukwringer

I recently installed a Solar plant that has a total capacity of 6.5KW and has 12 longi panels attached to it.
The issue I'm facing is the solar plant production isn't crossing the half way mark that is 3.25KW. It stays there for about 2-3 hours which is peak production and then it comes back. It's winter here so most of the other plants I checked are also producing around 50-55% of total capacity.

Thing is I recently found out that my 6KW inverter has 2 MPPT and all the 12 panels I've are attached to the PV1 and PV2 is empty(could be seen in the picture) I was just wondering if this could be because of that?

Attachments

• 20240121_122534.jpg
    20240121_122534.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 6
I recently installed a Solar plant that has a total capacity of 6.5KW and has 12 longi panels attached to it.
The issue I'm facing is the solar plant production isn't crossing the half way mark that is 3.25KW. It stays there for about 2-3 hours which is peak production and then it comes back. It's winter here so most of the other plants I checked are also producing around 50-55% of total capacity.

Thing is I recently found out that my 6KW inverter has 2 MPPT and all the 12 panels I've are attached to the PV1 and PV2 is empty(could be seen in the picture) I was just wondering if this could be because of that?
That's actually quite good for winter production. I have less than that with almost 30kW peak installed ...

I don't think you can use 2 MPPT channels with so little panels.

You basically have a few parameters to keep in mind when choosing your MPPT channels and layout:
- Minimum MPPT Voltage (starting voltage)
- Maximum Open Circuit Voltage - Include some temperature coefficient because when it's cold your voltage will INCREASE
- Maximum Short-Circuit Current

You provided no datasheet for either inverter nor panels, but with 6 panels only in series and ~ 120 VDC you won't have much efficiency.

MPPT channels make sense if parts of your solar array are shadowed while others are getting sunlight (e.g. East/West orientation) OR if you have different voltages on your Solar Arrays (e.g. 1 Solar Array/String has 300VDC, while 1 other Solar Array/String has 600VDC).

I dare say so.

+1 on datasheets or model info, panel info, etc so we can give a better answer :)

Back