diy solar

diy solar

Solar System to Run Electric Pool Heater Off Grid

@Bluedog225 I was under the impression that solar water panels can't get the pool that hot. I have to maintain a 90 degree pool temp in the winter, and 102 for the jacuzzi. My house is an airbnb, this is what I have to supply.
My goal is to supplement the gas heat w/ electric during the day. For example, use the gas to heat the pool up fast and then maintain the temp w/ a separate electric heater, powered w/ an off grid solar system that only feeds the electric pool heater. Meaning, it will have nothing to do w/ my main electric panel in the house. I figured this would relieve me of using gas during the sunny days in the winter to maintain the temps. I'm not interested in storing energy in batteries.
My pool is small w/ an attached spa separated by a wall (i attached a pic in other replies)
Pool measurement: 10' X 35' 3 feet to 6 feet deep
Jacuzzi measurement 10' X 5'

Attachments​

I live in Maine and I can get our pool up to 87 degrees with 10 4' x 8' solar hot water panels. The water comes out at 130 degrees with a 5/8" garden hose. I calculated out the btu's and I think it was around 160 kbtu per hour. I picked up the panels on the cheap from someone who removed them during a roofing job. It would really save you a lot of money to use solar hot water panels.

They are rather easy to install as well. All you do is find a place for the panels and then divert some of the flow from the pool pump to the solar hot water panels.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about doing this. I have an electric pump and heater, so why not look into converting it to solar. I have a bunch of open land next to my pool, so panels will be on the ground. I'd guess that most expensive part would be the battery. But since I make li-ion batteries for electric bikes, I'll just make one for this purpose. I just need to figure out the calculations, and this will be done in a couple of days.

Back