diy solar

diy solar

SolArk15k vs Eg4 18k

I haven't watched the videos that had the wifi reconnect issue yet, but mine reconnects fine on its own, both after power resets of the wifi router, 18kpv, or a combination of the two. I do have an issue where the connection shows offline for ~15 minutes at a time even though the LEDs show connected, however it always comes back on its own.

To throw one more opinion on naming conventions in the basket, I think any number in the name is perfectly acceptable because every unit has pros and cons, and if you're actually in the market for one you're going to find what fits your need the best. The "well in this specific situation this unit can do this much, but in that situation it can only do that much" makes the units incomparable with any single number. Anyone saying otherwise is focusing on the number they care about, which I'm not complaining about.

For example, if someone, just like me, never has any need for more than 12kW AC but wants to maximize solar output, the extra MPPT ability of the EG4 18kpv to do 12kW into AC while doing 6kW into batteries may be useful. (I understand there are caveats on this and am not trying to restart that discussion)

On the other hand, maybe you occasionally need to surge past 12kW doing laundry or something and you're perfectly happy only doing so when the sun is up, so the Sol-Ark 15k's ability to do 15kW when doing battery + solar is more helpful.

Both of these highlight a clear cut reason that the number in the name is actually better than the other in the right circumstance, but it's not just a "higher is better" kind of thing.

This is just one example, but there are plenty of reasons that these units are not directly comparable based on any one number, so IMO getting wrapped up on the naming convention, which doesn't and never has existed across the industry, is a waste of time.

It's just like suggesting manufacturers of cars should all label their cars according to horsepower. We'll go and compare the subaru 310 to the ford 290 and just ignore the fact I just pulled numbers for a sedan vs a truck.

Thanks Rusty for your input on the internet connection rebooting it's self. That clears up the video that was commented he had to manually connect to the internet after loosing connection. As far as that question to James, I deleted it so he don't have to bother with an answer you just took care of, thanks. As far as the name go's I really don't care either, it's the long term reliability and service warranty that will make or break the name to remember.

This naming convention gyrations conversations are ridiculous!
Obviously Tim hates Sol-ark with a passion as evidenced by tons of his posts.
If you can’t read the spec sheet you don’t have any business doing a DYI project!
I have owned a Sol-Ark 12K for over a year and it has been faultless plus all my questions to them have been answered professionally and promptly.
Would I buy it again given the new competition ? I certainly would.
I’m as cheap as the next guy but I don’t like regretting my purchase decisions or having to deal with poor customer service.

so IMO getting wrapped up on the naming convention, which doesn't and never has existed across the industry, is a waste of time.
Every single AIO on the market. With the exception of the two in the discussion. Follow the same naming convention.

Continuous AC output rating.

Every single AIO on the market. With the exception of the two in the discussion. Follow the same naming convention.

Continuous AC output rating.
The sol-ark 15k is also named for its continuous inverter output. Almost every AIO on the market has situations where it can't actually output the continuous inverter rating for one reason or another. It's only the older sol-arks that aren't named that way. The 15k, 30k, and 60k are all named based on the continuous inverter output.

The sol-ark 15k is also named for its continuous inverter output. Almost every AIO on the market has situations where it can't actually output the continuous inverter rating for one reason or another. It's only the older sol-arks that aren't named that way. The 15k, 30k, and 60k are all named based on the continuous inverter output.
Playing with words, again.
Are you a lawyer?
Continuous output is 24/7, without special circumstances.

Not mine. Or any others that I am aware of. With the exception of the ones that we are talking about.
Victron, Schneider, outback, etc all need to be changed then. The only possible exceptions are the budget tier AIOs (growatt/MPP Solar).

Victron, Schneider, outback, etc all need to be changed then. The only possible exceptions are the budget tier AIOs (growatt/MPP Solar).
I'm sure that Victron is more than capable of their claims. I'm not familiar with Schneider or Outback, so I can't comment on them. But yes all of the Voltronics AIO's can live up to their names.

I'm sure that Victron is more than capable of their claims. I'm not familiar with Schneider or Outback, so I can't comment on them. But yes all of the Voltronics AIO's can live up to their names.
Have you ever looked at a victron datasheet? The quattro 15k that I considered buying can only output 12kW, 10kW, or even 7kW in some conditions.

In the situation that the victron quattro 15k can only output 10kW, the sol-ark 15k can still output 15kW.

Have you ever looked at a victron datasheet? The quattro 15k that I considered buying can only output 12kW, 10kW, or even 7kW in some conditions.
No, I haven't. But, we aren't talking about data sheets.
I've only heard them referred to as the Quatro and Multi plus. If they actually have a Kw value in their name. And they can't live up to that.
Then I will stand corrected, on Victron.
But it's still just deflection.
If Johnny is caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Is he absolved by stating that Stacie done it too?

No, I haven't. But, we aren't talking about data sheets.
I've only heard them referred to as the Quatro and Multi plus. If they actually have a Kw value in their name. And they can't live up to that.
Then I will stand corrected, on Victron.
But it's still just deflection.
If Johnny is caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Is he absolved by stating that Stacie done it too?
Earlier you said that ever other company names their inverters by the minimum continuous inverter output. I'm just providing evidence that you are incorrect. They are typically named based on their IDEAL scenario continous inverter output. If anything the sol-ark 15k can stay at its maximum inverter output in more situations than the other tier 1 inverters.

Earlier you said that ever other company names their inverters by the minimum continuous inverter output. I'm just providing evidence that you are incorrect. They are typically named based on their IDEAL scenario continous inverter output. If anything the sol-ark 15k can stay at its maximum inverter output in more situations than the other tier 1 inverters.
One other does not constitute typically.
The majority does.

WTF?! Schneider is about as conservatively rated as you can get at 6800W/48V, hence the name 6848. You lost whatever credibility you might have had there.

There are the games played with 25C vs 40C ambient rating, but that has become the standard for whatever reasons.

WTF?! Schneider is about as conservatively rated as you can get at 6800W/48V, hence the name 6848. You lost whatever credibility you might have had there.

There are the games played with 25C vs 40C ambient rating, but that has become the standard for whatever reasons.
Tim's definition of inverter rating is "the minimum it can do in any condition". Like you just mentioned yourself, the 6848 can NOT do 6800W continuous in every condition.

Schneider is a bit better than most because the 6800W figure is more like an average continuous rating, instead of ideal. In some conditions it can do more than that, and in others less.

Last edited:
Tim's definition of inverter rating
Not ratings
Naming
You can go to the specs for all of the details. On what it can do in various scenarios.
The name is what catches the customers eyes.
If I know that my loads require 15k. Then I should be able to expect a unit called a 15k to be able to do the job.
All of the time.
Not just when it's very sunny, or another source is available to help.

Looks like it we got sidetracked, anyway.
As far as I know.
Victron, Schneider, and Outback don't even offer AIO's.

I'm considering a Schneider because of it's exceptional long term surge performance. Where the high frequency inverters would have given up.

Welp, we sent 2 not 3, (some people even say 4 though lol) we will partner with any battery including DIY bmses for closed loop comms support. but I'm getting away from open loop as a guarantee. if ethernet scares someone then I'd rather have another company get the sale and own the warranty.
Are you going to start requiring closed loop comms for your eg4 batteries to maintain warranty coverage? That would certainly place them in a niche market compared to the competition.

Based upon Will's 1 month review, the EG4 looks interesting, however in Connecticut, the Sol-ark 15K is approved for the Energy Srorage Solutions Program, which subsidizes the battery cost. It looks like Shenzhen Lux Power has applied to have its 12k model approved, but who knows when or if they will complete the integration process, or if it includes models like the EG4.

I'm considering a Schneider because of it's exceptional long term surge performance. Where the high frequency inverters would have given up.
They use a Low Freq., Toroidal transformer. Proven in different applications to be robust as also used in another fine brand name of inverters. The Schneider brag about many still in use 15-20 years later but only offer a 5 yr warranty. You should do some research of your own first from people who had problems and tried to contact Schneider for warranty issues before you decide. That is why I my self decided to pass on this fine unit that will do more than it is rated.

I have attached working Luxpower 12K settings using TOU 4-9pm arbitrage and 2 SOK server batteries. I will swap it next week for the EG418K and compare. Uploaded in both pdf and jpg.

Note: when troubleshooting the CT's for proper arbitrage, the offset in my unit was set to 535watts. I lowered it to -50 in the CT power offset. The luxpower CT's are 1:3000 vs most others at 1:2000 so use the proper CT's or change the sample ratio to match your CT's.
I was wrong on the 48V settings..

I changed out the SOK's pulled the 2 questionable (low cell voltage on one tesla cell) packs, and hooked up to the 12K luxpower.
I was wrong on the 48V settings, it cannot go below 50V Absorb and float.
I might have been able to use 48V but 50V will create an explosion. (contactor will disengage, but that may be detrimental to the inverter)
I have put it back in "no battery" mode.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back