diy solar

diy solar

SOLD Brand new Victron SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/100

Now consider paralleling two different strings (or arrays) of very different orientation onto each MPPT input.
So long as they don't get partial shade, impact on output has been shown to be 2% vs. all separate MPPT.
I know both SMA and Victron both recommend this but I just can't wrap my mind around it. Particularly from being a field service guy. The thought of not being able quickly tell which one the two arrays the problem is in spooks me. Depends on where the arrays are combined I know but still just not something I would want to do. I know it works but my small mind can't get it. LOL

I know both SMA and Victron both recommend this but I just can't wrap my mind around it. Particularly from being a field service guy. The thought of not being able quickly tell which one the two arrays the problem is in spooks me. Depends on where the arrays are combined I know but still just not something I would want to do. I know it works but my small mind can't get it. LOL
You should be able to tell the problem array by what time of the day the problem occurs (ie which array is under the sun when the problem happens) then just disconnect the connection between the two arrays and diagnose.

One being how cheap you can get residential/commercial/large size panels now, WAY less than $1.00 a watt, plus you get the extra wattage. I paid $175.00 each for 370 watt bi-facials a couple years ago, brand new.
I recently picked up about 20 kW of 535w VSUN bi-facials locally at one those "surplus liquidators" for myself and some customers. 42 cents per watt and they are gorgeous. 50 Voc adds up really quickly.

I recently picked up about 20 kW of 535w VSUN bi-facials locally at one those "surplus liquidators" for myself and some customers. 42 cents per watt and they are gorgeous. 50 Voc adds up really quickly.
EXACTLY >>>>> 50 Voc adds up really quickly.

You should be able to tell the problem array by what time of the day the problem occurs (ie which array is under the sun when the problem happens) then just disconnect the connection between the two arrays and diagnose.
Of course that's assuming you can quickly track down where they are combined.

I get called to clean up messes left by bankrupt installers, widowed or divorced homeowners and bank repossessed properties. I've seen some doozies, so much so I rarely take those projects anymore. Just too stressful getting bitched at by people who think everyone who sells solar is a dirtbag which sadly is about 95% accurate.

That's why I bought a clamp ammeter.

I bought 24 pieces REC 325W from Santan.
I won't tell you what I paid. Given Jennifer's shocked expression I'm afraid she would have a heart attack.

I have several but there's a lot more to troubleshooting a dead or malfunctioning system in the field than a clamp on meter can tell you. (oh boy here we go...)

I get called to clean up messes left by bankrupt installers, widowed or divorced homeowners and bank repossessed properties. I've seen some doozies, so much so I rarely take those projects anymore. Just too stressful getting bitched at by people who think everyone who sells solar is a dirtbag which sadly is about 95% accurate.
True but the point of dual strings combined for different directions should help narrow it down but if you can't find the common point, you can break the string at any of the MC4's near the panels and that would take that string out right? It would serve the same purpose as disconnecting at the paralleling point. Note, this would only apply if they were only a series string, if they were series/parallel you'd simply find the MC4 closest to the end of the string and break it there..... and by the way, we're all good goyles n boyes and have individual string PV disconnects at our arrays anyways, right. LOL ;)

I have several but there's a lot more to troubleshooting a dead or malfunctioning system in the field than a clamp on meter can tell you. (oh boy here we go...)

The other piece needed would be reasonably accurate proximity voltage detection.
(electronics per module would also tell you, but I prefer to avoid that.)
I also though about inserting Y cables. That would be tedious, but would allow in-situ confirmation.

iu
?

I bought 24 pieces REC 325W from Santan.
I won't tell you what I paid. Given Jennifer's shocked expression I'm afraid she would have a heart attack.
I can imagine, Santan are cheap as chips, almost worth the drive (I'm in AZ as well)...amp clamp is a GREAT tool to have, highly agree.

The other piece needed would be reasonably accurate proximity voltage detection.
(electronics per module would also tell you, but I prefer to avoid that.)
I also though about inserting Y cables. That would be tedious, but would allow in-situ confirmation.

iu
?
Be careful with these insulation piercing probes, people think that pin hole seals itself back up afterward, it doesn't.. we had an apprentice when I was a heavy duty mechanic in BC who probed a truck's complete frame rails from tits to toys one day and the truck came back months later with the wiring all rusted out at the pin holes, salted roads, water, long winters... smack up side the head much.

iu

At 0.01A resolution, more useful for PV than the Flukes I looked up.

Be careful with these insulation piercing probes, people think that pin hole seals itself back up afterward, it doesn't.. we had an apprentice when I was a heavy duty mechanic in BC who probed a truck's complete frame rails from tits to toys one day and the truck came back months later with the wiring all rusted out at the pin holes, salted roads, water, long winters... smack up side the head much.

Instead of ?, maybe I should have been more clear with :devilish:

Poke into 480 Voc?

"BC", clearly not "AZ"

yea, how come clean up jobs at hoarders residences never end up being home based business solar wholesalers. LOL

Last edited:
iu

At 0.01A resolution, more useful for PV than the Flukes I looked up.

Instead of ?, maybe I should have been more clear with :devilish:

Poke into 480 Voc?

"BC", clearly not "AZ"

Yup, the over 40 amp are nice, I have a 400 amp one but this little one is perfect for solar work as they're more accurate in the mid point of their current range and I've found using a 400 amp for 7,8,9 amp readings is more accurate with at max 20 amp range one.

;)

IMG_0373.JPG

Thank you for the great response, that makes me feel good that it helped you, so often we help people here and are not really told that it helped or was appreciated, your post warmed my heart.
Thank you again; I'm so appreciative of the unique knowledge and experience that some on this forum have and it's quite under appreciated and your one reply was just so perfect and helping clarify a lot for me.

I just got a chance today to read your replies and both your Vmax numbers and the bi-Facial solar invoice has been really helpful in helping me think through how to build my system and really thinking of a completely different direction on size and brands.
I'm really surprised by the Vmax numbers. That's pretty great.

Being new, I was really focused on the panels, but I see how that's a really small fraction of the whole equation.

Thank you again; I'm so appreciative of the unique knowledge and experience that some on this forum have and it's quite under appreciated and your one reply was just so perfect and helping clarify a lot for me.

I just got a chance today to read your replies and both your Vmax numbers and the bi-Facial solar invoice has been really helpful in helping me think through how to build my system and really thinking of a completely different direction on size and brands.
I'm really surprised by the Vmax numbers. That's pretty great.

Being new, I was really focused on the panels, but I see how that's a really small fraction of the whole equation.
I'm very glad that you benefited from my replies, thank you for telling me, it makes it worth the efforts and makes up for the others who don't or the ones that aren't as nice, thank you. ?

PS: Yes, as you said, you have to think of it as a system, not just panels, inverter etc or you'll end up buying gear you don't need/doesn't work well together.

Back