diy solar

diy solar

Solis Hybrid Inverter set battery max charge

bazza14

I've just finished installing a small solar power system into our person cave it's a Solis S5-EH1P6K-L Hybrid Inverter, 4.8Kw Pylon battery and 1.85Kw of solar array. It has taken some time to get my head round the inverter, it's software and Solis Cloud. Just now I thought I'd reduce the max battery charge from 100% (which I set it to, it was 80%) and I'll be damned if I can figure out how to do it. I've read and re-read the operation manual but can't find it. Anyone here know how to do it?

I don't know that particular model, but on my RHI-3K-48ES-5G there isn't a setting for max charge. It's fixed at 100%. There's various minimum charge settings like Over Discharge SOC and Force Charge SOC.

Unless you're on some new firmware, which would be nice as a lot of people have been asking for a maximum charge setting for the charge from grid option as well as the time and current setting.

I've found it. It's under 'Backup Mode' of operation which I used intially to get the battery charged as I had a spell of several days of overcast weather when I commisioned the system.

I don't know that particular model, but on my RHI-3K-48ES-5G there isn't a setting for max charge. It's fixed at 100%. There's various minimum charge settings like Over Discharge SOC and Force Charge SOC.

Unless you're on some new firmware, which would be nice as a lot of people have been asking for a maximum charge setting for the charge from grid option as well as the time and current setting.
The RHI and EHI models are pretty much the same apart from some electrical specifications and the supplied grid meter.

@bazza14 can you please explain how you fixed your problem.
I am also having this issue. My battery is 96% charge and not getting discharge at all. Pulling all needed power from grid

Just for clarity I did not have a problem with it using the battery, I was looking where to change a setting and I finally did find it. So your problem may be that you do not have the correct storage mode selected. There are 4 possible storage modes in Advanced Settings/Storage Mode Select. One of the modes is Backup Mode Logic which will only use the battery if you lose the grid. The firmware is 'dumb' in that selecting a new storage mode does not cancel the currently selected mode, you need to deselect it manually. I would suggest you check each of the storage modes and ensure that only the one you want to use is active.

I don't know that particular model, but on my RHI-3K-48ES-5G there isn't a setting for max charge.
FWIW... depends on battery type. If you select user-defined, it gives more control, which is handy for those with DIY battery packs.

On that screen you can set "Overcharge SOC" which is the SoC at which the Solis RHI and, I believe, EHI and RAI models, will stop filling the battery...

img_20221102_185926_dro_sm_battery_settings-jpg.118893

Otherwise, I guess you'd have to configure that setting via the battery's configuration settings.

FWIW... depends on battery type. If you select user-defined, it gives more control, which is handy for those with DIY battery packs.

On that screen you can set "Overcharge SOC" which is the SoC at which the Solis RHI and, I believe, EHI and RAI models, will stop filling the battery...
Hmm, Modbus register 43010. That's set to 100 on my RHI. I assume selecting "Pylontech_LV" populated that automatically. I wonder what would happen if I changed it? Not going to try that right now as I'm bedding in a replacement inverter. I want to give it a chance to break on its own first.

Hmm, Modbus register 43010. That's set to 100 on my RHI. I assume selecting "Pylontech_LV" populated that automatically. I wonder what would happen if I changed it? Not going to try that right now as I'm bedding in a replacement inverter. I want to give it a chance to break on its own first.
Would be interesting to try poking a number in there (maybe try 105? ;):ROFLMAO:)... What new inverter are you deploying, btw?

What gets me with that screen is there are setting for OverchargeSOC, OverdischargeSOC as well as DischargeDepth. What happens if OverchargeSOC - OverdischargeSOC != DischargeDepth? Which parameter wins? btw. that's obviously not _my_ screen shot, I wouldn't use those values :eek:

What new inverter are you deploying, btw?
My RHI-3K-48ES-5G has been replaced by a newer model. The S5-EH1P3K I think? I really should look at the label to see what model it actually is.
It's just an updated version of the same inverter. I was having some issues with Leakage Current Protection alerts causing the inverter to drop out frequently and the installer reckoned it was because the panels could supply 11.5A continuous and the inverter was rated for 11.0A continuous. So they swapped it for a new one which is rated 15.0A

My RHI-3K-48ES-5G has been replaced by a newer model. The S5-EH1P3K I think? I really should look at the label to see what model it actually is.
It's just an updated version of the same inverter. I was having some issues with Leakage Current Protection alerts causing the inverter to drop out frequently and the installer reckoned it was because the panels could supply 11.5A continuous and the inverter was rated for 11.0A continuous. So they swapped it for a new one which is rated 15.0A
Sounds a good result to get a free upgrade.

Just for clarity I did not have a problem with it using the battery, I was looking where to change a setting and I finally did find it. So your problem may be that you do not have the correct storage mode selected. There are 4 possible storage modes in Advanced Settings/Storage Mode Select. One of the modes is Backup Mode Logic which will only use the battery if you lose the grid. The firmware is 'dumb' in that selecting a new storage mode does not cancel the currently selected mode, you need to deselect it manually. I would suggest you check each of the storage modes and ensure that only the one you want to use is active.
That's quite confusing. I saw some videos on youtube where the guy said to set inverter to off, select your mode, disable all other modes and then switch it on.

So if inverter is self use with connection to BMS it will always will try to charge to 100%?

That's quite confusing. I saw some videos on youtube where the guy said to set inverter to off, select your mode, disable all other modes and then switch it on.

So if inverter is self use with connection to BMS it will always will try to charge to 100%?
If you are in self use mode, yes, the battery will always charge to 100%. In back up mode you can set it to stop charging at a different value.

Back