diy solar

diy solar

[SOLVED] fault Error 16 when running heat gun on low?

gotbeans

Solar Cooking Beans
I have the EG4 3000 EHV-48
Only one on right now but I have 2 for split phase (it is not hooked up currently)

When I run my heat gun on low it triggers the forever beep, the red fault light and it says [16]Error in the screen
It ONLY does it with the heat gun on low. On high it doesn't do it, running saws doesn't do it, I also ran another resistive heater and it doesn't do it.
Plugged all into gfci and it works fine doesn't trip. Also CAFCI breaker is fine also tried on grid and it works with CAFCI/GFCI too
I've ran several things as I said, saws, other heaters, computers, nothing trips it at relatively same wattage as the heat gun at low (~500watt)

Also which fault code is it? There are two different ones..

On page 29 I see this:
1700326416930.png

page 46:
1700326654696.png

here are some videos:

rotate through some info

demonstrate the fault

Last edited:
Had the same problem with the EG4 6000ex. Signature Solar said it is common with heat guns. I moved on and hooked up other things and it has been running without issue ever since...no heat guns, though.

?

Had the same problem with the EG4 6000ex. Signature Solar said it is common with heat guns. I moved on and hooked up other things and it has been running without issue ever since...no heat guns, though.

?
lmao ok. That's what I was figuring. I have had it running for like 2 months and just tried the heat gun today...
I thought it was very weird since the resistive heater with a fan doesn't do the same thing but it basically is identical internally
I wonder if a hair dryer also does the same thing or doesn't? All 3 of them are almost identical internally.. heat coil + fan

I guess it's good I have a grid breaker & some grid outlets in here too.

Thanks for the info.
Put some videos up if anyone wanted to see the error.

I've ran several things as I said, saws, other heaters, computers, nothing trips it at relatively same wattage as the heat gun at low (~500watt)

What is often done with heat guns to half the power is to put a diode in series with the heating element.
So only 1/2 of the cycles from the inverter will get loaded, the other half won't
scope_half_rectified.jpg
A lot of inverters don't like that.

What is often done with heat guns to half the power is to put a diode in series with the heating element.
So only 1/2 of the cycles from the inverter will get loaded, the other half won't
View attachment 178530
A lot of inverters don't like that.
ahhhhhhhhhh ok that makes more electrical sense.
My heater has multiple coils and others aren't even active when it's on low so I guess it just has some on / some off vs the diode trick in heat guns. I guess heat guns do that to conserve space internally.

Find old school heat gun off eBay just has a switch for low / high no electronics in it.
Most heat guns have a 3 position switch:
Off: no connection
Low heating element connected with diode in series, only half of sine wave used to heat the heating element.
High: diode is bridged so full wave is full power to heating element.
It would be way more expensive to put in 2 heating elements and switch those accordingly.
I think 90+% use the diode trick

Most heat guns have a 3 position switch:
Off: no connection
Low heating element connected with diode in series, only half of sine wave used to heat the heating element.
High: diode is bridged so full wave is full power to heating element.
It would be way more expensive to put in 2 heating elements and switch those accordingly.
I think 90+% use the diode trick
Most of the new ones I see today have that dial on the back you can adjust the heat 1-10 it's an electronic heat control. I was thinking of one of these old school ones just have one switch and adjust the heat with the air inlet.

Attachments

• 2023-11-25 08_07_57-Master Heat Gun HG-501A with Stand, Industrial Quality. Pre-Owned,Mint Con...jpg
    2023-11-25 08_07_57-Master Heat Gun HG-501A with Stand, Industrial Quality. Pre-Owned,Mint Con...jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 3
Most of the new ones I see today have that dial on the back you can adjust the heat 1-10 it's an electronic heat control. I was thinking of one of these old school ones just have one switch and adjust the heat with the air inlet.
Never seen one of those, but that makes sense if you can get one.

Called a Master heat gun made for years what I used in the 1980's when I worked at a small business making production runs of different parts. I don't remember it having any low high switch I see several on eBay. I just ordered this inverter if it gives me trouble with my cheap HF heat gun, I'll have to find one of these older ones. I had only planned on connecting it to a few circuits running computers 24/7 I do use my heat gun in that room.

Find old school heat gun off eBay just has a switch for low / high no electronics in it.
If I use it I will just put it on high and move it around more or move it back. I really almost never use it in low anyway
I haven't either. I just looked at the hardware store site and there are about 20 of them. Only 1 has the dial lol
I have seen the old ones though but no need for that. I'll stick to my $13 one until it dies

Back