diy solar

diy solar

[SOLVED] northern hemisphere winter optimum

brandnewb

Going for serious. starting as newb
How do I orient my panels to yield at max at winter time given I am located at Amsterdam position?

I have all these panels (44x 275Wp) that are right now kicking ass at almost 10KW but I do not care about that. I care about how can said panels yield best at winter time?

How do I orient my panels to yield at max at winter time given I am located at Amsterdam position?

I have all these panels (44x 275Wp) that are right now kicking ass at almost 10KW but I do not care about that. I care about how can said panels yield best at winter time?
Ballpark best winter angle setting is about your latitude plus 15 deg; due south, of course.
Edit: So, for Amsterdam that would be 52 + 15 = 67 deg. Very steep!

and how about the spacing then? between rows
Space them so they don't shade each other.
Google it if you need a website to help with the math.
But yes, you're right - the steeper they are, the more they shade each other.

i really tried searching on the internet before I asked here.

found duddly squad so I ended up asking here.

I know there are professional isntallers that can tell all about installation plans based on parameters.
I am reaching out here for some of us to do something similar.

If you have panels at 67º then your minimum gap between rows is tan(67º) x panel dimension, so if they are mounted landscape it is ~2.35m, and portrait ~4.7m. You might be better off mounting some vertical on a dedicated MPPT for winter. Bifacial and mounting vertically on a north-south axis with a white roof might also yield good results.

i really tried searching on the internet before I asked here.
The answer is found using the logic of geometry as explained by @Shimmy . You could figure it out on a sunny day using a couple of sticks of the right length and tilt one to different angles and measure how far the shadow falls. If you did it on the 21st of June that would be the summer distance. You could wait until December 21st to find the winter distance or you could figure it out by figuring out the angle of the sun in December and do the calculation using the math that you learned in school.. I don't keep those details in my head but it is easy to look it up.

the math that you learned in school.. I don't keep those details in my head but it is easy to look it up.
my problem is I never had an education. I basically teach my self as I go.
But thanks all for pitching in.

Edit: So, for Amsterdam that would be 52 + 15 = 67 deg. Very steep!
So having panels at 67deg is almost straight up yes? 90 deg being straight up so 67 is getting really close to that.

Summer time is brutal yield, every year. winter time is always a horror show.

I now have 44 panels in a west/east back to back orientation. I was told that would give the most yeald per m2 of roof.
I am aware this is not giving the best yeild per panel.

Does orienting panels optimaly for winter time (so ending up with less panels than I have now) yield more than what I have now in winter time?

This website used to work for me, but just now it is broken:

In heavy overcast, straight up may get the best illumination.
People say that with snow on the ground, bifacial works well.

I now have 44 panels in a west/east back to back orientation. I was told that would give the most yeald per m2 of roof.

Does orienting panels optimaly for winter time (so ending up with less panels than I have now) yield more than what I have now in winter time?

West/East back to back would definitely be poor in Frozen North Winter.
Due South will produce much more (at least on a clear day.)

It is about area presented to sun and path length through the atmosphere. Also of course shadows.

my problem is I never had an education. I basically teach my self as I go.
In many ways you are lucky to not have your mind cluttered with a lot of useless stuff. I am almost eighty and had a good eduction but by now I have forgotten all the details. I am still learning and realize I do not have to remember everything, I just need to be able to look it up.

Last edited:
In many ways you are lucky to no have your mind cluttered with a lot of useless stuff. I am almost eighty and had a good eduction but by now I have forgotten all the details. I am still learning and realize I do not have to remember everything, I just need to be able to look it up.
yes sir, affirmative

Back