diy solar

diy solar

SOLVED! RTFM and when in doubt add another panel! Orig MSG: My solar array shows volts coming in to MPPT but no amps or watts?

awatchfuli

Hi
I'm a 1yr old to solar and purchased a Victron MPPT 450 100 charge controller to give my 2 EG4 6500ex @ 240v a break as a charge controllers.
They are very happy now just producing power.

Problem:
I have 3 panels (see attached pic) specs connected in series and connected to PV2 on the MPPT. It showing 103v with NO amps and NO watts coming in.

Tested each panel and the Voc was correct. Checked all the connections and they were tight. Read somewhere about diodes failing. Opened the junction boxes on each panel and they were filled with rubber so no access. Reconnected array to one 6500ex and the panels show the same reading so it's not the MPPT.

Q:
What is causing this and how can it be fixed?

Appreciate your response...
Thanks

Attachments

• 20221114_125402.jpg
    20221114_125402.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 14
Without looking up the specs for your SCC the thing that comes to mind is does it have a minimum voltage?

Is that the expected open circuit voltage on your array

Or is that what you'd normally see under load?
Each panel Voc measures approx 37v in full sun with a few chemtrails mixed in.
Connected 3 panels in series wired to the MPPT it shows 103v, 0 amps and 0 watts
Each panel Vmp is 31.35v
31.35 x 3 = 94.05v, yet MPPT shows 103v coming in...
Also connected the array to another charge controller and it said the same 103v, 0 amps and 0 watts
Difference of 8.05v? (103v - 94.05v)

What do you think>
Thanks

Each panel Voc measures approx 37v in full sun with a few chemtrails mixed in.
Connected 3 panels in series wired to the MPPT it shows 103v, 0 amps and 0 watts
Each panel Vmp is 31.35v
31.35 x 3 = 94.05v, yet MPPT shows 103v coming in...
Also connected the array to another charge controller and it said the same 103v, 0 amps and 0 watts
Difference of 8.05v? (103v - 94.05v)

What do you think>
Thanks

So process of elimination, I'd try the panels in pairs see if any combination of 2 works Edit: obviously not it that's below your SCC input

Is there room in your batteries? Drain some power off them if they are full

What is the sky condition? How dorect is the sun? And shading on the panels?
My 335W panel barely outputs 2W when the trees overhead are leafed out...

Got pics of panels with sun on them?

So process of elimination, I'd try the panels in pairs see if any combination of 2 works Edit: obviously not it that's below your SCC input

Is there room in your batteries? Drain some power off them if they are full

2 panels at 31.35 Vmp will not meet the SmartSolar MPPT RS 450|100 requirements of 80v min
Batteries were @ 30% and taking a charge from my working array to the MPPT on PV1

This is a stumper. Start up voltage on his EG4 is 80V +/- 5Vdc. Should have started charging on that if there was any load and actual sunlight.

Clearly something wrong with the panels or wiring to the SCC given your data provided to us. Unfortunately, without a small SCC of some sort that can work with single panels it's going to be hard to isolate it.

Can any of the panels be put onto the other array temporarily to see if the problem follows them? I certainly understand not wanting to move them onto a functioning expensive array though, no telling if they could possibly damage the other array in some way if they are somehow weirdly shorted out.

This is a stumper. Start up voltage on his EG4 is 80V +/- 5Vdc. Should have started charging on that if there was any load and actual sunlight.

Can any of the panels be put onto the other array temporarily to see if the problem follows them? I certainly understand not wanting to move them onto a functioning expensive array though, no telling if they could possibly damage the other array in some way if they are somehow weirdly shorted out.
Appreciate your time...
Agreed it would be horrible if the panel shorted my working array!
I will call the company I purchased the panels from in the morning, and see what they have to say...

LOL thanks for your due diligence and spending time with me on a Sunday!
That is true... but I also connected it to the EG46500ex and it starts up @ 90v ?
That 90v might be higher than your panels voltage under load. Even at the lower 80v +/- 5 volt startup it may be marginal.

You may need to up your voltage by adding another panel.

Back