diy solar

diy solar

SOLVED! RTFM and when in doubt add another panel! Orig MSG: My solar array shows volts coming in to MPPT but no amps or watts?

I was going to suggest that start up was to low but a quick search showed it shouldn't be the issue.... Rtfm to me
The operating range is not the startup voltage. Look at the linked pdf of specifications. I would guess it is that amount to get going but once up it can work with voltage down to 80v.

Yes I read the specifications. If it says startup voltage is 120v, and it does, than anything less is likely not going to work.

So don't get all nasty with RTFM when in fact I did.

I was going to suggest that start up was to low but a quick search showed it shouldn't be the issue.... Rtfm to me
I purchased this one from SS and installed it today...
So you can imagine my frustration when it showed PV2 @ 103v, 0 amps and 0 watts on the screen. It showed the same on EG4 6500ex as well.
Will be calling the seller in the morning to get their input and go from there... stay tuned!
Thanks

The operating range is not the startup voltage. Look at the linked pdf of specifications. I would guess it is that amount to get going but once up it can work with voltage down to 80v.
Thanks I learned something today.
Yes I read the specifications. If it says startup voltage is 120v, and it does, than anything less is likely not going to work.
I learned this first commissioning my inverter, added a 4th panel and all was good.
Sorry you interpreted that wrong, I was directing it towards myself for just looking at specs and not actually taking time to download and RTFM.

Appreciate your time...
Agreed it would be horrible if the panel shorted my working array!
I will call the company I purchased the panels from in the morning, and see what they have to say...
I wouldn't even bother personally, until I had done more testing. You can literally purchase a PWM or MPPT stand alone charge controller to use with a 12v car battery or something laying around for around $20-40 on Amazon. Then you will have something to use for testing individual panels going forward, and can tell them their panel is damaged and needs replacement without anymore wasted time doing troubleshooting.

Something like these would probably work for "briefly" testing a panel :

BougeRV controller 12v/24v batteries

JJN 30A SCC 12v/24v/48v batteries

I ran into this with my sungold at first. The 255 watt panels put out 30v and 8.5amps I think and all added together the 4 of them came out to 120 but of course would go up higher at times.

The problem was the 6048 wants 120volts and if it tried doing its mppt magic it was going under 120 and that of course caused to "idle" out. It would come back eventually especially if the volts climbed enough at peak solar times.

I ended up adding a 200 watt panels that had high volts 37.something but it only has 5.32 amps. That actually hurt the array output wise but it got the volts up to a point that the inverter was happy and presto power generation. Math says I lost a huge percentage of my power output adding those smaller panels to the array. Reality shows I'm making power for a longer period of the day and I'm making more power all the time since the higher volts allows the mppt to work better.

Point is when the volts were to low I showed volts on the sungolds display but no watts.

I appreciate all comments and need to learn the lingo too, and agree that low voltage may be the problem, so tonight after dinner I will add another panel to the array and see what happens tomorrow.
Stay tuned and thanks!

I wouldn't even bother personally, until I had done more testing. You can literally purchase a PWM or MPPT stand alone charge controller to use with a 12v car battery or something laying around for around $20-40 on Amazon. Then you will have something to use for testing individual panels going forward, and can tell them their panel is damaged and needs replacement without anymore wasted time doing troubleshooting.

Something like these would probably work for "briefly" testing a panel :

BougeRV controller 12v/24v batteries

JJN 30A SCC 12v/24v/48v batteries
Wonderful suggestion for $20 to test a panel @ 48v. Thanks

Last edited:
Point is when the volts were to low I showed volts on the sungolds display but no watts.
It very well could be that, but the manual for his 6500ex very clearly indicates he is within voltage range for startup and operation. His Victron, nope, but his 6548, yes. I'm not saying the 6500ex manual might not be full of doodoo though.

I ran into this with my sungold at first. The 255 watt panels put out 30v and 8.5amps I think and all added together the 4 of them came out to 120 but of course would go up higher at times.

The problem was the 6048 wants 120volts and if it tried doing its mppt magic it was going under 120 and that of course caused to "idle" out. It would come back eventually especially if the volts climbed enough at peak solar times.

I ended up adding a 200 watt panels that had high volts 37.something but it only has 5.32 amps. That actually hurt the array output wise but it got the volts up to a point that the inverter was happy and presto power generation. Math says I lost a huge percentage of my power output adding those smaller panels to the array. Reality shows I'm making power for a longer period of the day and I'm making more power all the time since the higher volts allows the mppt to work better.

Thanks!
I'm going to add another identical panel tonight, and see what happens tomorrow... stay tuned!

It very well could be that, but the manual for his 6500ex very clearly indicates he is within voltage range for startup and operation. His Victron, nope, but his 6548, yes. I'm not saying the 6500ex manual might not be full of doodoo though.
LOL,
I'm adding another panel to raise the volts and see what happens. Will let you all know if I stressed out for nothing!

It is just too low a startup voltage.
If the panels are only hitting 103V out of a possible 111.3, they clearly dont have good sun, and you will need another panel, or another SET of panels to get enough photons for operation...

It is just too low a startup voltage.
If the panels are only hitting 103V out of a possible 111.3, they clearly dont have good sun, and you will need another panel, or another SET of panels to get enough photons for operation...
You are right! Just added another identical panel and the MPPT now sees the array and charging... thanks for your time!

Back