diy solar

diy solar

(SOLVED) Sol-Ark 15K 2-Way Parallel issues

linuxdrake

Solar Beginner - Electrician / Hardware Engineer
UPDATE: FIXED See Last post, DIP switches not like manual for SOME units in 2-way parallel..

Having an issue attempting to parallel 2 15K's together. Both have a common battery, grid and load connections.
The master unit has the Batteries connected 12x EG4-LL in Closed loop and no issues with it reading them.
Additionally the master unit has the 2 CT's connected and Gen 2-wire start.

Prior to paralleling I did have the firmware updated on both units, so they are on latest: 7.2.2.2

I tried paralleling them with the enclosed yellow CAT5 cable from Sol-Ark, but also with my own 5' Shielded CAT6, which tested on my fluke perfectly, both did in fact.
Set them up per manual, using Master ModBUS:1 and Slave on ModBUS:2 both on phase A.

Powered up/down via manual, and no dice. I occasionally get the F29 - Parallel_CANBus_Fault when I reboot the units, but not again.

Any thoughts? I have left 2 VM's with Sol-Ark but no return call for over 3hrs now.

Side Note:
To validate everything is working I placed them into grid sell only mode, and both are working individually charging the battery up at the moment.

Attachments

• 4032-3024.jpg
    4032-3024.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
What's the actual issue? I ask because there really isn't anything obvious on the slave inverter's screen to let you know that it's getting direction from the master. About the only way you quickly know that parallel is working is that when you change operational mode on the master the slave immediately follows (<5 sec or so).

Sounds like you hit all the high points on your install but a couple thoughts:

- Sounds dumb but the yellow cable is plugged into the top-left parallel ports, correct? (Sorry, I had to ask)
- Did you boot up the slave first then the master? The manual talks this up but support said it wasn't that big of a deal when I talked to them on commissioning.
- Confirm they're also both running the same comm version (should be 143E)
- Confirm you kept the phases (L1/L2) straight through the entire install - to include the CTs

That's about all I can think of.

What's the actual issue? I ask because there really isn't anything obvious on the slave inverter's screen to let you know that it's getting direction from the master. About the only way you know that parallel is working is that when you change operational mode on the master the slave immediately follows (<5 sec or so).

Sounds like you hit all the high points on your install but a couple thoughts:

- Sounds dumb but the yellow cable is plugged into the top-left parallel ports, correct? (Sorry, I had to ask)
- Did you boot up the slave first then the master? The manual talks this up but support said it wasn't that big of a deal when I talked to them on commissioning.
- Confirm they're also both running the same comm version (should be 143E)
- Confirm you kept the phases (L1/L2) straight through the entire install - to include the CTs

That's about all I can think of.
Right? Yeah the issue is they do not go "normal" and online so to speak. Where the screens all read no data, on any of the "gas" gauges.

I followed that method as well, had both units on the Parallel screen, activated the master, hit Ok, then did the same on the slave. And they sit there with AC and DC lights on, but Normal is out.

The yellow cable is in the (top) left, Parallel port on both units.
Their both on the same polaris AC taps, so they power up when AC is connected at the same time. Unless I physically unconnected then connected...yeah not going to happen :)

Confirmed both on same comm version as well.

Phases are correct, used Red Tape on all connected to ensure L2 is red, and L1 has no tape (black) for all AC, Gen and Load cables.

Ah...OK. No "Normal" lights. Yeah...that's weird. About the only thing I might try (again?) is factory resetting both, shutting them all the way down then firing up the slave first on battery power with no load or PV - letting it stabilize - then configure - then the master on battery and configure that.

I just confirmed on my 2x15K's that one of the few settings that propagate quickly is enabling/disabling time-of-use. Should take less than 10 seconds (and sometimes multiple trips into that screen on the slave) to see the change if comms is working correctly. If you get the slave to follow the master on that you should be good.

FYI, a LOT of the settings do not transfer/propagate. This slideshow helped me understand what to expect when configuring:

Don't expect to see things like the battery can bus info on the slave. You won't see it. The slave will however follow max current cues from the BMS via the master.

Another thought...make sure your BMS isn't on Modbus 01 or 02 and its cable isn't attempting to use the 15Ks Modbus pins for RS485 comms. (The battery comm port on the Sol-Ark has uses one connector for both protocols).

Another thought...make sure your BMS isn't on Modbus 01 or 02 and its cable isn't attempting to use the 15Ks Modbus pins for RS485 comms. (The battery comm port on the Sol-Ark has uses one connector for both protocols).
Fixed it! With some help from Sol-Ark support, just got back to me.

Turns out SOME 2 way parallel setups require both 2(DIP) switches to be DWN-DWN, for both units.
But some setups (only in 2 way parallel) require on the Master UP-UP and DWN-DWN for the slave.

Soon as we did that, units reset and finally in normal mode, sending power back to the grid and powering local loads.

Pictures of final config from both units.

Attachments

• Master-DIP-UP.jpg
    Master-DIP-UP.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Slave-Down.jpg
    Slave-Down.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 45
Oh crap...forgot about that. The manual is totally wrong on that one and support also walked me through it. To further confuse things mine are working fine with both in UP-UP. :rolleyes:

Hey sorry for jumping right in, but I'm experiencing this exact same thing - 2 sol-ark 15k operating individually but not in parallel.

Is there any way to know trying the dip switches is safe? It's been several days and I haven't heard back yet.

Should not be a problem -I assume they're for adress or termination.
Turn all off first? Try the dips and reboot as normal. It is not many combos...
Let's hear back.

Back