diy solar

diy solar

(SOLVED) Solving the climate control crises

This thread is relevant! Loving my fridge! I think the mini split idea is the way to go rather than modifying my iceco, even though i do plan to try it out one day and asked ICECO to send me another lid for my fridge that i can cut into and try the idea.

This might be what we're looking for ^

I looked into that, and theyre on sale now for $1800 plus tax which includes the battery.
However that gives about 2 1/2 hr operation. More trouble than its worth.
So you have an odyssey? What year/generation? I have a 2016 elite now, previously had an 07 ex-l. I had a portable AC installed in the 07 for a while, it worked acceptably but needed a generator to run. I had converted it to dual hose operation which helped.
I have had some success in running dual window fans in the sunroof, powered with a jackery. The fans I was using just quit so I ordered this will pick it up friday:

We will see how that works. The big attraction is that due to its form factor I can mount it directed rearward somewhat, its quiet, weatherproof, and only uses 25 watts. And the sunroof only has to be open about halfway.

With the standard dual window fans I always felt like someone could just force the fan out of the sunroof and climb in or steal whatever.

FWIW running a National Luna dual control 60l fridge. Pricey but its the best, made in south africa. Buy once cry never.

My ICECO 3 in 1 60QT prototype finally came!

I did finally find 3 panels that fit inside the rails for my Odyssey also! Ordering them now.
Which panels did you get? I ended up with 2x100 hqst panels that fit between the rails of my 07 in an aluminum 1.5" extrusion frame, with a little over an inch to spare on each side. It goes through a redarc dc-dc 50a charger. I just ordered rails for the 2016 have to mount them.

Nice that’s really cool! I have an 09’ Odyssey but my friend is still using it. I ended up getting a Toyota Prius because they have climate control built in and it’s super efficient. I’m honestly considering a 2021 Toyota Sienna Hybrid because they have the climate control built into those vans as well. Essentially the motor will turn on and charge the battery when it gets low and then turn off again.

I’ve been using my ICECO at my apt for now but when I go back on the road I think I’m going to try a flex panel or possibly a portable one just to save energy but

For the most part I’ve been digging into mini split systems and have another thread where we’re making a list of the most efficient mini splits.

That fan looks super cool! And also I’ve never heard of that fried but I want one lol

Oh and the panels that can fit in between the rails are HQST Compact 100w

Nice that’s really cool! I have an 09’ Odyssey but my friend is still using it. I ended up getting a Toyota Prius because they have climate control built in and it’s super efficient. I’m honestly considering a 2021 Toyota Sienna Hybrid because they have the climate control built into those vans as well. Essentially the motor will turn on and charge the battery when it gets low and then turn off again.

I’ve been using my ICECO at my apt for now but when I go back on the road I think I’m going to try a flex panel or possibly a portable one just to save energy but

For the most part I’ve been digging into mini split systems and have another thread where we’re making a list of the most efficient mini splits.

That fan looks super cool! And also I’ve never heard of that fried but I want one lol
When I bought the '16 ody the sienna was on my list of possibilities and one of the biggest draws was its ability to run the AC nearly indefinitely. Supposedly after the initial charge wears down, it starts the engine every 15 minutes and runs it for 6 minutes to make enough juice for the AC.

However the ody won out for several reasons which included:

Drivability.

The Siennas 2nd row seats are not easily removable, those that have done it say its about a ten hour job and still results in a number of warning and error lights that nobody has figured a work around for.

Siennas new design is going more car like with less cu. ft. In cargo space (think they took it in headroom?)

Availability and price. New ones running a 6 month waiting list, '21's were priced over new msrp.

I bought the ody last november, gas prices soon soared, but theyre coming back down so my regret is lesser.

I passed on 5th gen odys because of reliability issues, and they deleted the rear AC altogether and switched to a new refrigerant thats 25% less efficient than r134a.

I removed the 2nd and 3rd row seats, am almost finished with a platform over the third row well where Ill have 2 280ah lifepo4 banks.

Yeah the prius has that AC thing going but I wouldnt go back to anything smaller than a minivan. My newer ody is white but still gets hot because of all the glass which has heat shields but Im considering tint options.

Okay, back to the window fan in the ody sunroof..

Picked that up and we are in a heatwave in SoCal so went right to work. Found a way to put it in thats perfect, almost all of it stays inside and its tilted at an angle so air moves to the rear.

I used 2" aluminum angle, with gorilla mounting tape and a half dozen ss 1/8" pop rivets on each side.

I have a couple of minor tweaks for the mount like contouring the top of the front bracket and adding a small 1/2" angle but its pretty secure.

So this vornado transom... Well compared to a good quality dual axial fan unit, its output is weak. But the last one of those I had used over 65 watts on high, this uses 25 watts, I currently power it with a jackery 880.. Its also whisper quiet compared to traditional window fans. And you only have to open the sunroof 4-5", and they cant steal it if they tried. With dual window fans the roof has to be wide open and can be just lifted out. And its easier for bugs and leaves to get in.

This is touted as weatherproof, and theres a powered rotating door for the reversing feature that also closes automatically when you power it off. It doesnt fully seal the outside air but seals out peeping toms. Theres a remote control but theres panel controls too.

These are $100 btw, and they also make it in black if you want a heater instead.

All in all Id be happier with more output but given the positives which are related to that, this was the best choice. If it were for a home Id have taken it back.

I still have 3 small working portable air conditioners in storage, by next summer I should be caught up enough on getting the electrical stuff in like my 07 was and Ill have one of those in for the hot months.

Attachments

• 20220904_045952.jpg
    20220904_045952.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220904_000843.jpg
    20220904_000843.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220904_000757.jpg
    20220904_000757.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220904_000703.jpg
    20220904_000703.jpg