diy solar

diy solar

Some wiring questions.

doox00

I am still in the learning phase but so far I think this is the route I am taking. I want to set it up so I am on solar when there is sun, batteries when there is no sun and grid power when there is no sun and batteries are dead. I also have a whole house generator already I would like to implement in for battery charging if/when I need. I plan to use a EG4 18k Inverter.

8-12k in panels to start
EG4 18k inverter
DIY Batteries (have questions on this but will save for another topic).
whole house generator (runs on propane)

So my question for now is how does all this get wired together? I want the inverter (from what I gather the eg4 18k will do this) to auto switch seamlessly between solar, battery and grid when it needs it. I want to be able to use the generator to charge the batteries when I need, I will manually turn on the generator when I need this.

So how does the power from the utility company get wired into the system? Goes straight from the electric meter to the inverter? Solar panels into the inverter, batteries into the inverter and ac out from the inverter into the electrical panel in my house? I know there is more to it but is this the basics?

Thanks all

So how does the power from the utility company get wired into the system? Goes straight from the electric meter to the inverter? Solar panels into the inverter, batteries into the inverter and ac out from the inverter into the electrical panel in my house? I know there is more to it but is this the basics?
Yup. As long as your service is 200A or less it is pretty straightforward. However, to stay to code, you will need a few extras.

1) AC Disconnect
2) PV Disconnect
3) PV Rapid shutdown modules at the panels (if the panels are on the roof).

1690849956411.png

Yup. As long as your service is 200A or less it is pretty straightforward. However, to stay to code, you will need a few extras.

1) AC Disconnect
2) PV Disconnect
3) PV Rapid shutdown modules at the panels (if the panels are on the roof).

Okay, thanks for the info. So when it comes time to tie grid power to the inverter I will need to hire an electrician to have the meter removed and make the connection from the meter to the inverter I am guessing? Does the power company need to be part of this? The inverter will be in a shed that will house all the equipment/batteries about 50-75' away from the meter, so will have to run conduit in the ground to go from meter to inverter and then another run back to go from inverter to the panel for the house. Also, I will not have the panels on the roof, building a ground mount for them.

Okay, thanks for the info. So when it comes time to tie grid power to the inverter I will need to hire an electrician to have the meter removed and make the connection from the meter to the inverter I am guessing?
I would recommend that.
Does the power company need to be part of this?
That is going to depend on your jurisdiction and Power company...... but most likely so.

Back