diy solar

diy solar

Something limiting my PV production all of a sudden

3kW array at 29° tilt. Almost perfect tilt.

Clearly not a perfect day with intermittent cirrus clouds. Ambient was 29°C.

1671174791594.png

About 12% below rated.

This is also at 6500 ft elevation. Thinner atmosphere means a little more sun than average.

Equinox, yes. Solstice? No. They should be closer to vertical than closer to horizontal.

Edit.. and yes, I know they're the same.

Last edited:
Not sure what we're debating. OP was asking:

OK but am asking theoretically , say you have an array facing the optimal direction, simplest form, but bloody hot like where i am, in that situation , how bad is the degrading due to heat ?

I presented him with day's worth of data from a nearly perfectly oriented array in a warm-ish climate only a few degrees cooler than his, but with delightfully minimal humidity.

The sun moves 46° between the winter solstice and the summer solstice in the sky. Therefore if you point your panels at the equinox position (the point where the day and the night are equal ) then the Sun moves 23° above that plane in the summer and 23° below that plane in the winter.
Not sure what we're debating. OP was asking:

I presented him with day's worth of data from a nearly perfectly oriented array in a warm-ish climate only a few degrees cooler than his, but with delightfully minimal humidity.
Sorry. Got sidetracked by your 29° reference. I'll send you a DM.

The sun moves 46° between the winter solstice and the summer solstice in the sky. Therefore if you point your panels at the equinox position (the point where the day and the night are equal ) then the Sun moves 23° above that plane in the summer and 23° below that plane in the winter.
Sorry. Got sidetracked by your 29° reference. I'll send you a DM.

At equinox, sun is at 0 latitude.

I'm at 34° latitude. Array at 29° will be perfectly aligned when the sun is at 5° shortly before the autumnal equinox. I'm calling <5° off perpendicular as "nearly perfectly oriented."

The data provided was for about 16 days before the equinox. For calculation convenience, assuming 90 days from summer solstice to autumnal equinox and a linear progression of change in latitude from 23.5° to 0°, sun is at 5° latitude 19 days before the equinox.

Meets my "close enough" gauge quite nicely.

At equinox, sun is at 0 latitude.

I'm at 34° latitude. Array at 29° will be perfectly aligned when the sun is at 5° shortly before the autumnal equinox. I'm calling <5° off perpendicular as "nearly perfectly oriented."

The data provided was for about 16 days before the equinox. For calculation convenience, assuming 90 days from summer solstice to autumnal equinox and a linear progression of change in latitude from 23.5° to 0°, sun is at 5° latitude 19 days before the equinox.

Meets my "close enough" gauge quite nicely.
[/QUOTE

I think I figured out our disagreement. Your graph above and your comment about 29° being perfect was dated 3 months ago. But the conversation you're engaged in is happening today 3 months later at the solstice. Thus the confusion I thought you were saying 29° tilt for today was perfect when clearly it's not. Actually it should be more like 57 degrees tilt measured from 0° horizontal for the winter solstice on December 21st.
29° tilt at 34° north latitude biases summer production. It is a more shallow tilt than even the equinoxes.

Last edited:
I have seen on some days that my solar production ramps up in the morning and then stops at around 2.8kW where it stays for a few hours before it goes down during evening.

I have a 5kW Deye, 5kW Volta battery and 6 x 545W = 3270W solar panels. I have seen the panels produce near that maximum during cooler lightly cloudy days where the clouds scatter the sunlight.

Is there any reason why this might be happening? My settings seem to allow the higher wattage, but on warm sunny days it seems to be limited. See below graph as example (Does this look like clipping?):
1700748763090.png
1700749014984.png

can you compare that to the SOC of your battery ?

if grid export is disabled, and the battery is full, the pv will only produce what it needs to fulfill the loads

I have seen on some days that my solar production ramps up in the morning and then stops at around 2.8kW where it stays for a few hours before it goes down during evening.

I have a 5kW Deye, 5kW Volta battery and 6 x 545W = 3270W solar panels. I have seen the panels produce near that maximum during cooler lightly cloudy days where the clouds scatter the sunlight.

wait... 2800/3270 = 86% rated.

Sounds good to me.

While you may have more sun, that additional sun causes CELL heating, which degrades performance. Your cells could easily be pushing 50°C or higher. The performance numbers are for CELL temps of 25°C.

Check the NOCT and NMOT rating for your panels and compare.

Additionally, what is the PV input current of the DEYE, and what is your array current?

3kW array at 29° tilt. Almost perfect tilt.

Clearly not a perfect day with intermittent cirrus clouds. Ambient was 29°C.

View attachment 124922

About 12% below rated.

This is also at 6500 ft elevation. Thinner atmosphere means a little more sun than average.
Flagish
https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap leads to https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KAZFLAGS192
Random pick weather station with Solar Radiation (watts/m²) near bottom of page. Not all stations have Solar Radiation (watts/m²). Can look back to any day/wk/mth/yr. In future, 10 days. Shading and large bodies of water nearby make a difference. Consult Google Earth for optimum and not necessarily closest station location.

Back