diy solar

diy solar

Spain here...

Haha 45. Wise words indeed. You are, of course, completely right. The only sensible way forward is for us to employ professionals who know what they are doing. But here's the thing. We have worked hard all our lives to build up some kind of retirement fund. Well, maybe not all our lives, there might have been a bit of fun along the way. Perhaps. But we are retiring early (early fifties) and I do not intend for my business to continue to support us into this period, I intend for us to embark on the next chapter! That means that we need to be careful how we spend. We have three options (other than to continue to live comfortably in the the UK for the rest of our lives - kill me now). We could buy a nice villa, perfect condition, pool, near a beach, couple of acres. I am yawning already. We could buy the property we are buying and give $1m to architects, designers and builders to transform it. Boring and will lead to us needing to eat grass for the rest of our lives. Or we could live in it as it is, swapping a beautiful home in the UK for a crap falling down concrete monstrosity in a barren bit of Spanish rock.

No the reason, the only reason, that we are investing the rest of our lives in this experience is because it is an absolute adventure and a blank canvas. Reality is, excuse the confidence, that I'm an intelligent 'scientist', reasonably competent with a hammer, strong and fearless. I'm not afraid to fail, it really doesn't matter, it is just a learning experience. Seriously, that's not some BS management workshop soundbite. What does it matter if something doesn't work really? I'll do it again. And again until I get it right, I learn fast. Spesh if it's something I don't want to do again!

I'm with you, even if you're with my friend. I believe in KISS. It might not sound like it but in my mind I do know what I'm doing. This all sounds daunting but break it down into individual projects, it ain't no big thing. People achieve far more every day that I'm asking of myself.

The mould is only broken when we choose to do something different. We don't want ordinary. We want extraordinary. My property developer friend runs a business. He can't afford to take risks so like every other journeyman, he does what everyone else has always done. Solid, reliable ordinariness. Pah. We live in the 21st century - material and process innovations happen all the time. If you're open to explore the frontier of new opportunity then a world awaits you - seriously, a world away from what a traditional craftsman will tell you is possible. I don't need to concern myself with not being paid or being sued when it all goes tits up. It's on me. Do it again, properly, or at least more betterer.

Am I disparaging craftsmen and trades that have decades of experience and credentials - not in the least. I take every single opportunity to learn from these people - we need to keep these skills alive for the next generations. 95% of what I do will rely on these skills. I might not have them down right now but I'm pretty competent. 80%.

If I had to drag my wife of 26 years along with me on this journey then we wouldn't even be embarking on it. We have been searching for our Shangri-La for more than ten years and when we found this property in January 2018 we knew that we had found it. It was a joint decision, it could not work otherwise. Since that time we have talked in detail about every aspect of the work for two years. She is completely onboard.

Re she - she can handle a wrench, drive a tractor, weld etc. Don't worry 'bout her.

Here is the love of my life, isn't she gorgeous? Everything I ever wanted. Just a bit annoying that some random woman got in the way when I took the photo. We bought this in December when I started posting here.

View attachment 13909
I'm 100% with you. The principles I learned sky diving and trading apply to all walks of life. I can sum up why you are right.

You understand risk management, which is completely different from risk avoidance. You have very realistic expectations with incredible aspirations you, your tractor, and that random woman can enjoy together.

Without detailing it, I bet you have a concept of core requirements for survival and moving forward; and the rest is just layers of progress outside that. That is risk management. You planned the worst case scenario and now you can diverge outward. The further you go, the more rewarding it will be. Yet, you know that even in that core you'll find happiness that many only dream about.

On top of that, there is a reward doing something yourself, or with the one you love, that you understand. You can't buy that. You can only choose to build or not.

Good to hear from you. Everything is sloooooooooooooooooooooooooowly comming back to normal in here, Spain, but I believe it will not be until the end of June that our lives will be somewhat similar to what it used to be.

Good to hear that 100. Have small businesses been able to survive or have some had to close? I sincerely hope ordinary people will be able to recover from the shutdown.

Well our plans are intact, just delayed. I'm still going to be looking at our solar (PV cells, batteries, etc.) options as we discussed back in January.

And I'll keep posting notes on non-electricity related topics associated with off-grid living and general renovation projects here for as long as people are interested.

Stay well.

I am considering writing something about roof structures and the use of CLC in a flat roof. It might get a bit sciency but it will be fun.

Would you be interested in reading about this?

In the meantime, here's a look at our yard. "CdL" is the name we have given to our new home, it's in there if you look closely.

CdL.jpg

I'm with him: the only way I'd take on all that is to hire a really good General Contractor and pay him a fortune to manage all the details and the trades. Forget about the DIY.
If you want my advice (and there's no reason to believe you would) you should switch to decaf, sit down and take a deep breath. I'm a great believer in the KISS theory - plus I've noticed that as a general rule things in life tend to always get more complicated all by themselves!
And there's always that elusive work-life balance thing. Imagine yourself so busy tilting at this windmill you don't have time to live.
Your wife must be terrified. Either that or she figures at least it'll keep you busy .. LOL

Just checking, I haven't annoyed you with references to your PM have I?

No, I'm fine. I just have nothing new to add. I rest my case and wish you all the best.

Panels are the cheapest thing in a solar intallation, my suggestion will always be "install as many panels as you can". Even if your inverter can not manage them all there are many affordable and quality built MPPT controllers in the market to complement your "all in one" inverter charger. You need to be covered with as many panels as you can afford for those rare cloudy days we have.

Hello @100FUEGOS , could you give me a quick reference on how you can complement your allinone charger with complementary mppts controllers?

Hello @100FUEGOS , could you give me a quick reference on how you can complement your allinone charger with complementary mppts controllers?

Simply connect "the rest of the panels" to a stand alone MPPT controller, and this is connected directly to the battery. In my case I leave the MPI 5.5Kw be the master as it supports most of the panels and the SCC acts as a backup. I think I remember it is setup a little bit under the values of the MPI or was it the other way around? I would have to go check it out if you are interested.

Got it!.

I tough you were conecting them directly to the load, so in your case your are still limited by your MPI inverter.

Just wondering how do you manage the charging limits, supose you want to setup a 200A charge limit to your battery. I guess you can put 100A to the MPI and other 100 to the external MPPT, so they can charge together without exceding your own limits?.

--
Señor quattro ideas sounds exactly as something i would do later in life, a whole homestead repleted of DIY projects :)

In my case I have only three panels facing West connected to the SCC. MPI 5.5Kw can only charge the battery at 60 A and the SCC with only three panels I've seen it pushing 15 A. Battery can take that combined (it really never happens due to the two different orientations of the panels) any day.

But yes, there are some things you need to keep in mind.

Hola. Actually I’m in the UK but moving to Andalucía in Spain next year. Just bought an off-grid farm so going to need a good system. Looking forward to trading ideas with the folks on this board. Loving Will’s content and enthusiasm.
Hola a ti y a 100 fuegos :) estoy en malaga tambien.

Back